Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Avery Howard
"

We get a look at Cassiopeia's personal philosophy and how she view's the world.

"

Everyone thinks they're worth more than they actually are. They think they're worth something, that they’re important. That someday people will see that worth. A high school Star Quarterback thinks that someday they’ll be scouted by a major league team after being given a full ride athletic scholarship to the college of his dreams. A high school Cheerleading captain thinks she'll get a job cheering for said major league team. Well, neither of these will happen. People always seem to inflate their sense of self-worth to something it’s not. Wanting something that will never happen because it will make them worth more, make them seem more significant, make them more important.

 

They’re not important. They don't have any worth. They're just insignificant little people. They can try to delude themselves all they want but I won't. I know I'm not worth anything. I know I'm not important. I know that I am insignificant. I know that and I won't try to delude myself. But I still want to be noticed. By my classmates.  By my teachers. And most of all by my parents who are always fighting. I want them to notice me. To notice that I exist.

 

Perhaps that’s human nature. To want to be noticed. To want to be significant in some way. To want to be worth something. But even still being insignificant is part of life. Only one out of ten of the 7 billion people on this planet ever do anything memorable. Most people fade into oblivion without ever having left a mark on the world. And I was one of the insignificant nine. Destined to be utterly ordinary and completely worthless. I had resigned myself to that fate. The fate of being invisible. I mean, what could I possibly do that would change the world? I wasn't extremely strong or remarkably smart or extraordinarily gifted. I was utterly ordinary and ordinary people don't change the world. It's the extraordinary ones who that do. But I was ordinarily strong, ordinarily smart and the only thing that I'd even call a 'gift' would be my ability to turn anything into a sarcastic comment of some kind. Yeah, I wasn't anything special. And if someone had come up to me and said, "You're Important! You're going to change the world someday!" I probably would have laughed in their face at the pure craziness of the statement. I wasn't anything special and would never amount to much, at least that’s what I thought before it began.

 

It began with the visions.

 

I didn't know it back then but the moment I began having these visions my life as I knew it was over. It was over in the blink of an eye. Everything had been set in motion. I was now one of the significant One out of the Ten. No longer was I one of the insignificant nine. I was going to leave my mark on the world, weather I wanted to or not.




© 2016 Avery Howard


Author's Note

Avery Howard
What do you think of this as a prologue and if it could use some teeking ro if it should be scraped altogether.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know about this prologue. I like the idea of the story, but I was never into the foreshadowing sort of beginnings. Like "It all was about to change" kind of beginnings. That's just a personal opinion, but I think you should try and take that out if you're writing for an older audience. If you're not, then it's perfectly fine.

Posted 7 Years Ago


I'm transfixed!! Great prologue! This character is so intent on letting us know who he/she is that as the reader I'm dying to see how things turn around! Well done!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 1, 2016
Last Updated on August 1, 2016


Author

Avery Howard
Avery Howard

FL



About
I'm a shy and socially awkward college student who uses writing as a outlet to express herself and as a way to do all the thing that i'll never be able to do. Like go on a adventure through space or t.. more..

Writing