Chapter One: Nothing Special

Chapter One: Nothing Special

A Chapter by Avery Howard
"

We learn that Cassi hates High school and has no sense of team Spirit

"

I watched the school's football team grunt and groan with utter contempt. Everyone thought our team was the ‘best’ and that it was ‘better than all the others’. How stupid could people be? Our team was nothing special and it showed in our game scores.  They almost never won the games played in. And when they did win it was most likely because the other team had taken pity on them and let them win. Our team was nothing special and anybody who said otherwise was only doing so out of a false sense of school spirit that would disappear the moment they were released from their mandatory twelve-year sentence.

 

Anyone who said things like “Our Team rocks!” or “Our Teams the Best!” are just lying to themselves. Trying to keep the harsh reality of life at bay. And apparently the harsh reality was having a s****y football team. But even worse than these lies are the fact that they inflate the egos of our football team making them seem more than they really are. More than they ever will be. It makes me sick to my stomach. How can people be so utterly stupid? How can they believe that their live held any real worth? Perhaps it was this pessimistic outlook on life that kept me from making any friends. Not that I really wanted any. Everyone could just go f**k themselves. Of course just because I didn’t want friends didn’t mean there weren't people who didn’t or couldn’t pick up on the rather obvious “F**k OFF” aura I exuded. And those “people” just happened to be my Half-Brother, who I was absolutely positive only did it out of pity. I watched as the coach blew his whistle and the team all headed toward the locker room. They were cheering and clapping each other on the back as if they’d actually accomplished something. As if what they had spent the last three hours doing was actually worth something. It wasn’t. It wasn’t worth jack s**t.

 

I sighed and turned around walking the football field. I wanted to get away from there before he noticed I wasn’t there. Out of my thoughts I hear an overly cheerful voice, “Cassi! Hey, Cassi, wait up!” I cringed outwardly at the sound of the voice calling my name. I slowly turned around to see a tall, broad shouldered boy with ear-length blonde hair. I groaned as I watched him practically galloped toward me. This was the only person who talked to me. My half-brother, Jayden. Of course we lived in separate households, with separate lives with separate families and the only thing that we had in common was the drunken affair his dad and my mom had shared one new year's eve sixteen years ago. Yep, that's all that bonded us. And yet here he was, essentially stuck to me like glue. He had been ever since I’d started going to the same high school as him. It was annoying. Especially since we were polar opposites. He was popular with everyone. Girls, guys, teachers, everyone liked him. He was friends with everyone (even me) and was on good terms with even the most disliked teachers. He was eternally optimistic and hopeful. On the other hand, I was unpopular, by choice sure but still unpopular. Most people didn’t even know my name and those who did it was because some sick teacher had forced me to work with morons. I was pessimistic, negative, and just generally hated everyone, teachers, girls, guys, a******s, nice guys/girls. If his personality was that of a beloved hero than mine was that of a hated villain.

 

Really, the only reason he would even talk to me is out of pity. He felt sorry for my complete lack of social graces. Sure we might be blood related but that didn’t mean he had any real obligation to act like an older brother to me. And yet he did. I didn’t need an older brother. I was perfectly fine on my own. I had been for most of my life. He made it over to me and said, “I thought I asked you to wait for me to finish practice?” I turned on my heel and started walking away saying, “You did. I got tired of watching your pathetic display of male dominance. It was making me sick.” Jayden struggled to keep up with me as he said, “Y'know it’s that bad attitude of yours that keeps you from making any friends.” I looked at him and said, my voice flat, “And what makes you think I even want friends?” Jayden scratched his head and said, “Everyone wants friends, even if they say they don’t.” I scoffed and shook my head at that logic. Why did having friends matter so much? What good would friends be? After a couple moments of silence Jayden spoke up again saying, “Y'know, life would be a lot easier if you actually talked to people. Other than me, I mean.” I continued looking forward and said, “People are morons. The voices in my head make better conversationalists.” Blessed silence returned and I hazard a glance out of the corner of my eye to see Jayden looking both confused and terrified. I felt a rare smile pull at my lips. I loved making people question whether I was truly being serious, or weather I was just pulling their leg. I loved making people question reality. I loved saying things that made people shut the f**k up.

 

Alas the silence didn’t last and eventually Jayden spoke up saying, “Are you being serious?” I locked eyes with him and deadpanned, “Completely.” More blessed silence followed before Jayden said, “Really?” I let out an exasperated sigh and said, “No, Moron. Not really.” He let out a sigh of relief and chuckled saying, “I can never tell whether you're being serious or not. You’re really good at fooling people, Cass.” I continued walking suddenly knowing just what to say to shut up the idiot walking next to me. I raised a hand and shrugged slightly saying, “Yeah, well, it's practice for when I fool the ignorant masses into making me their supreme ruler. Don’t worry I’ll make sure you get a good spot in the new world order.” 



© 2016 Avery Howard


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay, it's getting better. Try not to use so many curse words when there aren't people talking. Curse words don't really help details. I did particularly like the line, "the voices in my head make better conversationalists." I feel that way a lot. Overall, not bad.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
1 Review
Added on August 1, 2016
Last Updated on August 1, 2016
Tags: Superpowers, YA


Author

Avery Howard
Avery Howard

FL



About
I'm a shy and socially awkward college student who uses writing as a outlet to express herself and as a way to do all the thing that i'll never be able to do. Like go on a adventure through space or t.. more..

Writing