Proud

Proud

A Story by Willow Robertson
"

A short scaryish story I wrote because of a prompt. Sorry if it's a bit rushed. Please read.

"

“And I’m like oh,

Isn’t anyone going to save me,

I think I’m going crazy,

Can’t you take me out of my mind.”

Lily rested her head against the window as the chorus of the song rang through her head. Cool frost froze her forehead and she sighed, breath misting the window. She was sitting in her mom’s black slug bug at the cemetery as her parents kneeled outside. They were all gathered in front of a grave. Lily couldn’t force herself to get out though. She couldn’t deal with the guilt she would feel when she saw her sister’s grave, a grave she had put there. If Lily hadn’t suggested the walk…She cut the thought off before it could fully form. If she let it sit there, festering in her mind, she would never free herself from the guilt. Oh, but it was your entire fault, wasn’t it? Lily’s eyes flew open. She heard the echoes of the sentence in her mind. The voice was entirely too familiar, and too close to her heart. Slowly, she relaxed again. It was just her guilt speaking, taunting her. Lily sank into a heavy sleep, her parents still sitting in front of Zoe’s grave, crying.

Lily woke up, sitting straight up as her mom slammed the door shut. Her moms brown eyes, usually beautiful, were rimmed with red, and tears still streamed down her face. Lily slumped against the seat, still troubled. Why are you troubled? You meant for this to happen. I always knew you were jealous of me. The voice said, speaking only to Lily. Her mom didn’t react to the voice, didn’t even blink. Lily knew her mom would have reacted if she had heard her oldest daughters voice in the car, especially now that the oldest daughter was dead. Zoe’s voice started again. You killed me Lily. If you had stayed off the road, I would still be alive. Mom wouldn’t be crying like this. Dad wouldn’t be shutting you out. Lily frowned and tried to burrow herself into the car seat, under the blankets. She covered her ears with her hands, trying to block the voice out with such horrible accusations. Zoe would never say those things to her. Zoe had been the perfect older sister.

Yes, had been. The voice continued I’m dead now, don’t you remember. How does it feel to be a murderer at the age of 12, Lils? Lils, the nickname Zoe had always said fondly, was now spat out, like a curse. Lily cowered away from the invisible foe of the voice, and tried to block it out. It wasn’t her fault! But the sprouts of doubt began to take root and grow. After all the voice said you suggested the walk… Lily released the tight grasp on her ears then. The thought, so close to what she had told herself earlier, convinced her of her fault. What can I do to make it up to you? She thought, desperate for the approval of her older sister. Zoe’s voice cackled sinisterly in her head. I’ll tell you, my dearest Lily Flower.

The moon shone high in the sky as the clock by Lily’s bed turned to 11:55 p.m. The alarm went off, and Lily shot out of bed. Quickly, she dressed in the same shirt and jeans she had worn the night Zoe died. Clambering out her window, she scrambled down to the street and ran across the street to the park were Zoe had been hit by a car and killed. Lily ran, only stopping when she recognized the place Zoe had died. Perfect Zoe’s voice said you’re making me proud Lily. Lily puffed her chest out in the silent night, satisfied for a moment. But then the moment passed, and she hid behind a tree, waiting like her sister had told her to. Hours passed. The sun began to light the sky, when Lily saw it. Beams of light shining in the distance. A car was heading towards her, going in the same direction as the one who had killed Zoe. Wait. It’s not close enough. Zoe told her, a malicious edge in her voice. Lily waited until the last possible second, and then, right before the speeding car passed her, she jumped, landing on the road in front of it. Then, all she felt was pain and all she saw was flashes of light and dark. All she heard was her sister’s voice, purring in her ear Good job Lils. You made me proud. Before laughing, satisfied with revenge.

© 2015 Willow Robertson


Author's Note

Willow Robertson
Any and All reviews are welcome. Sorry if it's a bit rushed. My maximum was 800 words.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh, this was really good. I enjoyed every minute. Excellent!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 20, 2015
Last Updated on October 20, 2015

Author

Willow Robertson
Willow Robertson

Beulah, CO



About
I love writing poetry. I am bisexual and proud of it. I'm also on Wattpad, where I have my collection, A Realm of Poetry. I appreciate any and all reviews. more..

Writing