Once Upon a Time...

Once Upon a Time...

A Story by Willow Robertson
"

A short story based on a prompt for my writing class. Enjoy!

"

Once upon a time, in a land far away, a grove of willows stood. It stood silent, several trees together in a cluster. The willows dipped their long branches into a creek, as the water swirled and glistened. And the willows lived in a peaceful place, a protected place. Because they were a home for an angel.

A Forest Angel, to be exact. She was a female elf that has tied her life force to the trees, and melded with them to feed, to sleep. And when danger presented itself, she protected them. Forest Angels were a shy species, dedicate to nature, with an aversion to killing, almost impossible to get a glimpse of. This Angel was no exception. If a human had manages to see one, it would be on a day when the sun was shining and the breeze was blowing, and the world was perfect. But the Angel that lives in this grove, was different. One would be more likely to catch her drinking moonbeams as she sways softly on the surface of the creek. And they would whisper about the girl they caught a glimpse of.

They would describe her as young and pale, yet tall and slender. Her hair would be the green vined of the trees, dotted with meadow flowers. Her eyes would be the grey of the trunk of the trees where she lived. And she would be wearing a dress of moss, with a crown of bark, and feet bare. She would be dancing, with wings made of flowers spread behind her, they would say. Because it is only while they are dancing the Forest Angels can be seen. While they are dancing, and have lost all sense of time and space and safety. When they allow their true grace to shine through, as they dance to the turn of the earth and the sounds of grass growing, a loud, fast, and thunderous thing, in their minds. They dance on wind and water, on sun and moon.

This Forest Angel was named Cairde, the word meaning grace. She was young for a Forest Angel, only around 70 years old. She was careful, and only danced when the moon was full, and the stars where bright, and rain poured from the heavens, rejuvenating her. Cairde, though, while peaceful and loving, despised humans. She knew of their pollution, of their failure to help, to grow. She had felt the pain of her brethren, who had been cut down, killed the moment the trees they protected and called home were cut down. She felt their sorrow as they realized they were doomed. And she felt their anger; a deep burning hatred flowed through her soul. All things are connected is an old saying, but it holds true for the Angels. Cairde can feel the world screaming for help. This connection is why the grove is deemed dangerous. The humans who venture there were found dead, wrapped up in vines and covered in strange yellow pollen. The grove of willows remains undisturbed.

Once upon a time, in a land far away, a willow grove stood in silence.

© 2015 Willow Robertson


Author's Note

Willow Robertson
Any and all reviews are welcome. And I used google translate for the name, so forgive me if it's wrong.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nicely done, very creative.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Wow. I mean wow. This was amazing. There are many little elements that make this story amazing. Like the statement that she danced to the sound of growing grass. And how you end it with the same line you began with. Wow. I'll definitely read more of your works.

P.S. Can you please tell me what your teacher had to say about this? Thanks.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Willow Robertson

8 Years Ago

She said it was very good. Thanks for asking, and thanks for your praise. I'm smiling so much right .. read more
Adil Khan

8 Years Ago

Haha. Its much more than "very good" though. Keep writing. And you're welcome.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 26, 2015
Last Updated on October 26, 2015

Author

Willow Robertson
Willow Robertson

Beulah, CO



About
I love writing poetry. I am bisexual and proud of it. I'm also on Wattpad, where I have my collection, A Realm of Poetry. I appreciate any and all reviews. more..

Writing