Chapter One:Doorway to Dreams

Chapter One:Doorway to Dreams

A Chapter by Paradox

Elderwoods was a beautiful countryside, with landscapes immersed in evocative beauty of nature. With snow covered slopy mountains on the north and west, grassy pastures all over and drained by a small brook, Portsaw, the countryside of Elderwoods stood as a sanctuary of marvellous scenario.

The place is situated inland of Central Britain, surrounded by the forests of Elderwoods which lie at the foothills of the north-western mountains.

Feudal administration prevailed here till the mid-nineteenth century. The countryside of Elderwoods was under the landlordship of the Duke of Elderwoods. The Duke and the Dutchess both were assassinated on their way to London, for a holiday trip in June, 1856.

The Elderwoods fort was remodled and the squeky, old castle was turned to a University. The University was founded in 1860.

The University of Elderwoods boasted of its eternal legacy of the excellence of its notable alumnis, decades after decades, especially in the stream of archaelogy and exploration.

The day was 3rd of January. Chilly gusts of winds, of the Northerlies, flirted by, over British lands on the lap of winter. The perihelion sun sank beneath the lustrous snowy patches of the mountains, west of Elderwoods.

The forestlands to the outskirts of Elderwoods were clad in lunar luminence on winter's full moon. A convoy of hooded wagons meandered through the winding trails of Elderwoods forest.

The convoy brought new students of first years to the University.

The Annual Winter Holidays of the university were over. It was the day of re-opening of the University.

The convoy approached the gates of the university. The giant wooden gates of the castle opened flapping over the canal circling the castle. The convoy entered the University campus.





*********





A stout man with an interestingly curved moustache stood at one corner of the first floor platform. The man was assigned with the duty of enrouting the first years to the assembly hall.

"First years to the left, then the third door on your right."

"This place is a labyrinth.", someone muttered.

The Assembly Hall had been gorgiously decorated for the Annual Welcome Ceremony. The hall was gradually being filled with students, who began to arrange themselves in ques.

At one end of the hall, an elevated platform had been made for the ceremony. On one side of that platform, a table has been placed for the Professors of the University.

Mild sounds of conversations and gossips inside the hall faded away, as a tall, sharp-nosed lady came to the front of the platform.

She cleared her throat and greeted,"Good Evening, students."

The new students greeted back in a chorous,"Good Evening,ma'm."

The lady began her speech," Students, I welcome you to the University of Elderwoods. I am Prof. Skyrie and I teach the art of keeping away the effects of curses and boons by inflicted various powerful artifacts."

A violent rumble of thunder zapped everyone in the hall.

"There's storms tonight", softly declare the professor. She gazed at the hazy windows through her cubical glasses for once, then at once peered back at the assembly line.

"Now let's register the names of the students present tonight, shall we?"

"Starck, Jefferina"

A girl from the third row raised her hand,"Present"

The registration continued. A few more dozens names had been called before Prof. Skyrie cried,"Stewert, Allysa".

A brown haired girl from the back of the fifth row raised her hand saying,"Present, ma'm."

Skyrie called the name of a Russian girl next, Ellina Vorshevky, who stood at the second row.

The registry ended with the call,"Brown, Samuel"

Samuel was standing at the far end of the third row. He was blonde-haired, he raised his right arm replying,"Yes,ma'm"

Skyrie shifted a few steps back and said,"I would now request the respected Headmaster of the University, Sir Allistaire Marseille to step forward and say a word or two."

A partially bald person, clad in a dark black robe, stood up from the Professor's table and came to the front.

Marseille was a hexagenarian but it is a must to mention that his extra-ordinary enthusiasm and endevours far exceeded that of an average man of his age.

With a sweet, soft smile on his face Marseille began his short speech.

"My dear sons and daughters", he began and a silent mirth of cheerfulness surged through the hall, " as the Headmaster of this University, I wish your admission to this University usher a bright future upon you all."

Marseille paused for a short while. He then inhaled a deep breath and resumed," As you may be knowing Elderwoods has been turning out eminent personalities in varied aspects, from explorers to famous scientists. I personally prefer to look upon each and every one of you as a future prospect. And, hence I"ll always tell you: If ever in your life, you are lost in the dark, light up the fire, the fire within you. This fire will show you the path to light and bring you out from the pits of darkness."

Cold, frosty fire! Like camphor flames--it brings light, though not burning one to ashes.





*********





The warmth of the Welcoming Ceremony would have faded away without the sumptous dinner at the Banquet Hall, which followed.



The large, round wall clock at the hall entrance struck nine. The man with that interestingly curved moustache appeared at the hall. "All the students of archaeology stream please come forward."

Sounds of confusion and curiosity echoed in the hall. "Archaelogy stream students, come forward.", repeated the man.

Half of the students present in the hall slowly gathered round the man with the interesting moustache.

"Follow me, everyone.



The "Stay On A


The gathering slowly followed the man up the stairs on the left.



"Stay close, or might get lost in this castle.", the man said in a warning voice.



On the third floor, the man pushed open a large hall door. Another spiral stair case in this hall led to the upper floors.



A middle-aged man, clad in a silver robe and a hood stood at the foot of the staircases. By him was a watch dog, ferocious as well as wild.

The moustached man went forward and asked,"Mr. Wesley, please show the students to their quarters on the fifth floor."

"Oh sure, Prof. Stony.", replied the man as he removed his hood.

Stony shifted his attention towards the students and said,"This man is Mr. Wesley, the nightsecurity cum caretaker of this castle. Follow him to your common room on the fifth floor."

"Everyone after me." Wesley instructed. Then he shifted his attention towards the Professor and greeted,"Good night, professor."

"Good night to you as well, Mr. Wesley." Stony greeted back with a soft smile.



Wesley guided the students up the spiral staircase onto the fifth floor. Reaching the fifth floor he addressed," This is the common room for the archaelology students. " he said, as he pointed towards a closed hall door. He unlocked the door, switched on the light and then let the students in.

The room was moderately decorated. The walls painted light blue." To the left is the girl's dormitory and boys, yours is to the right." Wesley spoke as he made some arrangements inside the room.

Huge suitcases, backpacks and trolleys lay one over the other at one corner of the room. Students busied themselves in shifting their luggage to their respective dormitories.

“Are we alone, tonight?” asked Jefferina.

“Yes, you are.” Wesley replied,” Second, third and fourth years are coming tomorrow. And the students of fifth years are arriving the next day.”

The wild watchdog of Mr. Wesley’s sat outside the common room. It barked out loud in order to draw their attention.

“I should be away now.”

The dog barked again, staring at the new students.

“Coming, coming, Wolly.”

“So it has got a name, Wolly.” Jefferina commented.

“Yes”, Wesley said as he left the room,” You people get your luggage and head to your respective dormitories.” Mr. Wesley closed the door as he left.

The dormitories comprised of dozens of linearly arranged beds, with a few almirahs. The beds were labeled with name tags.

Lights were soon put off in the girl’s dormitory. Allysa leaned back onto her bed and looked around. The bed to her left was assigned to Jefferina Starck. To her right was another girl named Maria White. Most of the beds remained vacant. They seemed waiting for their yet to come ‘owners’.

The thunderstorms still raged across the skies. Frequent lightning bolted now and then. Allysa soon drowned into her sleep, as she was awfully tired by the long journey of the day.












© 2017 Paradox


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

An informative introduction to the story. The basic settings are clearly drawn onto the canvas, with some rooms left for imagination. Just sufficient details for visualizing the scenes, and not too much to overload readers. Nice job!

Posted 6 Years Ago


awesome creation... i really like the way the story was heading towards,,, being writer yo did some remarkable job like you paid attention how much some space should be given in order to highlighted the important phrase... how the characters are portrayed in the story.... really appreciate...keep writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Haha, I enjoyed reading it...and definitely I will read more of it..When I get sometime, sorry I make time for it...:)..keep going..:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Paradox

7 Years Ago

I am glad to know u liked it. I have already posted the next chapter. I hope u will read it. Thnx
A very good story. I liked the characters and the story line. I will return and read more later. Please send read request. I'm off to work.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paradox

7 Years Ago

Thnx Coyote!
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

You are welcome.
It's nice...it reminds me of Hogwarts though..keep going!!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Paradox

7 Years Ago

I have posted the next chapter. U may read.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2017
Last Updated on March 29, 2017


Author

Paradox
Paradox

Kolkata, West Bengal, India



About
I am a high school student and an aspiring writer. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by Paradox



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lying Is A Sin Lying Is A Sin

A Poem by Zoya


I Know Why I Know Why

A Poem by Tbear