History

History

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I'll come back to haunt you


Memories will taunt you


and I will try to love you






Have you ever had a dream so real, that you wake up in complete and utter shock or panic and still are convinced it was real?


Years ago, I had a dream I will never forget and it will stick with me forever.


I had a dream that I woke up. (I have a lot of dreams like that.)


Through the dark, I saw that my heap of clothes on the floor seemed rather large.


As I looked harder, I saw something else.


Sitting in my heap of clothes was a little boy.


He did not move.


He just sat on my floor with his legs crisscrossed, staring up at me with lifeless,  and hungry eyes.


His head was shaved and he was extremely frail.


The short hair he had was blonde, his lips were pink, and his face was ash white and sunken.


He was dressed in ragged white and blue striped pajamas.


This boy was a child of the holocaust.


I got up and put a pillow next to him. He put his head on the pillow and weakly smiled up at me. I tenderly covered him with my sweatshirt and clothes and climbed back into bed.


I watched him fall asleep, but worried about him.


Was he warm enough? I hoped he was.


I awoke again to check on him and he was sound asleep still with a comforted smile on his face.


In the morning, my alarm went off. I bolted upright remembering the child.


I looked down to find a pillow and a heap of sweatshirts on my floor.


What startled me the most was, it looked as if someone really had been sleeping there next to me. Even the pillow looked as though a small head had been resting on it.


I know it was just a dream, but I felt as though I saved a boy from the holocaust and kept him safe and warm during a cold night.





The holocaust has always been an interesting topic to me. It's never an easy topic to digest, but it's fascinating.


With a friend, I visited the holocaust museum in Washington DC. That was one museum I never want to revisit, though it taught me so much and opened my eyes. 


I walked though a boxcar and met a survivor.


My friend and her family are extremely proud of their Polish heritage. (As well as most of the population in my hometown.)


After speaking to my friend and her family, the survivor asked if I was polish. I told her I was not.


When I told her my heritage, her eyes widened in horror and she gave me a grave stare.


I am bohemian and my ancestors were gypsies.


Gypsies were treated just as bad as the Jews were, and sometimes much worse.


There is one other theory about my father's side of the family, we never speak much about.


We too might have been Jews who fled and converted to Catholicism. 



The reason why this has been pondered is because of my father's sister.


Susie died when she was 15.


She suffered from taysaches disease.


A disease that is passed on through heredity among Jewish girls.


Usually the disease will claim lives at an early age, (2 or 4)  but Susie's story was different.



Knowing my history, and knowing what might have been haunts me.


It also makes me incredibly thankful to be alive and well.


The film The book thief caught my eye the other day. (I highly recommend both the book and film.)


I always have to do a double take because the boy who played Rudy is a spitting image of the boy who sat on my floor..only healthier with more hair.














 

© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I believe we must know the past to not repeat. The World wars should of been the last. The Book Thief was a amazing movie. A great lesson to be learn. I saw the death camps in Germany and in Poland. The smell of death was still alive 34 years after the killing was stopped. Since the world wars. Many more murderers. We did not learn. I recommend a good book called "The Lucky child" by Thomas Buergenthal. He wrote with a honest pen. World War two was just the testing ground he believed. Thank you Kathryn for sharing your words and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Its really nice..Great work and keep it up....Thanks for sharing...

Posted 8 Years Ago


The horror of the holocaust is incompresible...
Intriguing story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Well told, beautifully written. Very descriptive, I can vividly see the boy atop a pile of laundry strewn across the floor. I also happen to be a jew, so the holocaust is always a topic that piques my interest. Many people don't know about the mistreatment of gypsies and others, and I am glad you mentioned it. Millions of gypsies were killed as well. So sad. I am currently working on a story (fiction) about a polish family during blitzkrieg and the aftermath. I'll share if you'd like

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

Thank you for the review! It really meant a lot. I would love to read your story. Do pass it on! :).. read more
I dreamt about the devil once and he had such a grip on me that I began to pray and pray loudly - so loudly that I woke myself up and my lips were still saying the Hail Mary before I even realised I was awake. My hands were also joined - prayer-like but with fingers entwined.
Gives me the willies even recalling it to write here.

My friends flew out today to visit Krakow and Auschwitz is on their itinerary. I dont know if I could.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Family trees often produce mysterious fruit. I know only that my ancestors (Slovak) emigrated to the US around 1905. I know little more than that until my parents' generation, but no more than that.
History has always interested me, maybe moreso because I know so little of my own. Your story was a treat to read. It had some elements of dread (holocaust) but at least it had some substance to it. My story can only be treasured because it is MY story. Thank you for opening my eyes to YOUR story. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Dan! My grandmother on my moms side was a genealogist and could trace back thousands of y.. read more
dan

8 Years Ago

The King of Whales? Was his name Nemo? 8^)
a great story kathryn,a nightly thing for many

Posted 8 Years Ago


I'll come back to haunt you

Memories will taunt you

and I will try to love you

That feeling is nice you

That also shine you

write to little deep in

I can say great you

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2016
Last Updated on January 20, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aglow Aglow

A Poem by MsJewel


Young Love Young Love

A Chapter by Matching Socks