Laura Palmer

Laura Palmer

A Story by Kathryn Smith

All the people of the town cast their eyes right to the ground in matters of the heart



The night was all you had


you ran into the night from all you had




This is your heart.


Can you feel it?






It is both a blessing and a curse to have a strong and overactive imagination.


I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that I almost got coffee with a criminal.


I read his cases.


There was more than one girl.


The cases were detailed and brutal.


He used force.


He used drugs.


He did everything in the book.


I deleted him off of Facebook.


I blocked him.


But people are very much alive outside of social media.


The part that scares me most is he is free.


Before he was turned in, I remember seeing him around campus.


And he is still out there walking around.


He could be anywhere.


This man was relentless trying to hangout with me.


What if he's mad that I deleted him?


I live in a small town.


It wouldn't be hard to find me.


He knows where I go to college.


What if he FINDS ME? 


I'm really not too concerned about this, but my poor imagination is having a party creating awful scenarios in my head.




Today an interesting and very surprising thought echoed through my mind. 


What if he is trying to rebuild himself as a person?


Imagine making a terrible mistake, learning from it, feeling remorse, and then trying to better yourself. But now everyone knows what you did, and you become nothing but a ghost and a walking, talking, warning sign.


The people who have killed through drunk driving, or even a small accident, have to live with it for the rest of their lives.


They are labeled forever and yet could still be a perfectly kind and good person.


Anne Frank once said that she believed there was good in every single person.


It still blows me away that a girl younger than I am, who was apart of one of the worst times in history, truly believed that.


It says a lot about her character, and I happen to agree with her.


I'm not going to go out or reach out to this man, but things like this really make you think.


I am still haunted by what could've happened.


And when I go back to our messages the creepier they become.


I am eternally grateful I figured out who this person truly was.


If you were in my shoes...what would you do?



The song you'll hear below is called Laura Palmer by my favorite band.


I often identify with Laura.


Always running away into the woods and having bizarre things occur to me.


This song constantly reminds and reassures me that my heart is still beating...and as long as you can feel it, you'll be alright.



Laura Palmer lyrics by Bastille:













 













 

© 2016 Kathryn Smith


Author's Note

Kathryn Smith

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I met a man that killed four people when driving drunk. He did not drink no-more and carry a heavy load.
"Anne Frank once said that she believed there was good in every single person.
It still blows me away that a girl younger than I am, who was apart of one of the worst times in history, truly believed that. "
I believe the hardest forgiveness cannot be known. After some deeds are done. Become a part of us. Thank you Kathryn for sharing this story and your thoughts.
Coyote


Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Kathryn, Someone who commits crimes of the kind and manner of this guy do NOT change. The vile acts that they perpetrate inhabit their minds like an addiction. Maybe one in a million do reform, but are those very good odds? I'm happy that you deleted him and you'd be wise to not reach out. Sure, Anne Frank believed there was good in everyone but then she was eliminated by the Nazi war criminals. What was HER last thought before she was gassed? I'm just glad you are safe. Now I am going to listen to the song: Well I wasn't able to make out all of the lyrics (my hearing is dimming slowly) except "This is your heart, can you feel it? Can you feel it?" The music is great; I've come to like Bastille. take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Many hard questions here...

Perhaps there is good in everyone... Goebbels was good to his wife and kids, I suppose...
but the evil is, in some perhaps, far greater than (and overwhelms) the goodness...

Is there enough time to find the good in everybody... especially in those the seem to show only the dark side...?

'Giving another chance' is good... but how many times...??? I've turned a 'blind eye' many times, but only to view a repetition when I've taken a second glance... Do/can people change... maybe... Sometimes one has to cut one's losses...

But I can see you are a kind person, and I couldn't possibly offer any 'wise' advice... life's tough...

Great write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is simply touching
Yes there is good in everyone
Imagine if there wasnt
People have their times of darkness and i believe in a better emotional state for everyone
I guess there is still so much to learn in this world

Thanks for sharing

Posted 8 Years Ago


oh....great them , though

Posted 8 Years Ago


you never know who you`re dealing with in this day and time..

Posted 8 Years Ago


You're right to be concerned, however Anne Frank was right as well. We all have a past, all have done things we arent proud of. Some people are bad, some good, but change is possible--- but not everyone will change for the better. I usually keep my personal life out of these things (aside from my poetry, which often gives me the benefit of speaking abstractly or cryptically), but years ago I often got in trouble. I wasn't a bad person, but I did bad things. This week I turn 30 years old, and though years have passed since my last run-in with the law, I am still paying for my mistakes. But I have changed my life completely. People gave me a chance, and I proved to them it was worth it. I regret many of my actions, and I'm still haunted by things I've seen and done, but I've moved on and my life has been great. All I'm saying is, don't condemn everyone because of their past actions--- but be safe as well. Sometimes giving someone a chance can be beneficial to all involved. Again, not everyone changes for the better--- but change is possible if you want it bad enough. I enjoyed your writing, and I continue to look forward to more in the near future.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

8 Years Ago

Thank you! Yes exactly what I was thinking! People often think I'm nuts for giving everyone chances... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

260 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 9, 2016
Last Updated on February 9, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Looking Back Looking Back

A Poem by MsJewel