2017

2017

A Story by Kathryn Smith

I'll make this look easy


 


Tick


 


T i c k


 

BOOM


 


Like gasoline


 


They call me Lamborghini


 


Because I know just what I'm worth


 


Zero to 1 hundred


 


I've got a body to make em stutter





Who got the power?


I got the power




2016 was a pretty miserable year for me.


Don't get me wrong - I got to do a lot of incredible things...


Like return to Ireland, make new friends, and see my favorite band again.


But as far as being treated goes...


2016 was not fun.


Especially when it came to men.


I was viciously betrayed and had my heart broken by someone I genuinely loved, whom I had flown miles to see.


I learned what it was like to be objectified.


That some people truly do view me as just a girl who can bat her eye lashes and look cute.


I realized that being a woman in general can be quite a dangerous thing.


I was sexually harassed and was victimized by my own friend and her mother.


I was sought after by some old horny men who thought they could have their way.



But all this pain and hardship gave me life lessons and fuel.


My new years resolution is to no longer be timid in times where you need to stand up for yourself.


I'm going to wash away all my self doubt.


Gain more confidence.


2017 I will be born a new woman.


Still the daughter of Icarus - a girl from the sun.


Only stronger.


I now know my worth.


I now know power and how to hold it properly.


I know that kindness goes a long way. And I know what a good man looks like.


I know that this new year will be a wonderful year.


I'm excited to see where life takes me.


Nothing can be as bad as 2016 was..



Let's go 2017.


I've been waiting for you...



Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, mountain, sky, cloud, tree, outdoor and nature

© 2016 Kathryn Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A belated Happy New Year my friend. I wish you a safe/fun and successful 2017.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Hell yeah Kathryn! Stay sharp and cut the world! I love that you've found resilience through your pain, and instead of being a wimp, you've used it to fuel a fire, like a true daughter of Icarus. I'm with you! 2017, here we come!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much!! :D Looking forward to reading more of your work!
The darkest hour is soon followed by dawn. I am extremely sorry for the tough year that you have had to face. I am sure that the experiences have made you a stronger woman today and this should surely set the path for a bright year ahead.

This year wasn't so great for me too, even I had to endure hardships in my personal life, was almost attacked by gay men (yes, we men face the same issues sometimes) and a couple of other unforgettable moments.
But, I have decided not to blame myself for the wrongful acts of others.

Stay strong Kathryn. We are all here for you :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Oh man. My heart goes out to you! I hope you have a good 2017. When you decide not to blame yourself.. read more
I like the pink part & the black part, but I didn't feel any transition or relationship between the two parts. I like the way you are being very self-honest in the 2nd part. You have a nice balance of showing the good parts & the bad parts as you look back. Similarly, a good balance of being glad 2016 is done & being hopeful about 2017. I hope it is more of a steady climb than the badabing-badaboom. Those kinds of changes are the ones that really last.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much!! :)
For me making sure the things I look forward to our the things God would want for me are the ones I look for. Valentine

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thats a very wise thing to do Valentine. :) Hope you had a happy new year! Thanks for the review! xx
Each year, we jump into the next hoping against hopes that the new year will be better than what we left behind.. I hope it goes well for you too! This was a good write! It's hard indeed to speak out the hardships of life..

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thanks a million! :)
Dr. YumnaKay

7 Years Ago

You are welcome! ☺
Well done Kathryn.. it takes immense courage to open up about what you truly feel. I am amazed to find that all the hardships you've faced in the year 2016 have made you a stronger and wiser person on a whole. As now you know your worth, all the best wishes from me to look ahead for 2017, a new year, a new you and plenty of uncertain roads ahead. I wish you meet good people and have happy experiences in abundance.
Regards,
Anjali


Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thank you friend! :) I wish the same for you. Thank you for being such a kind reviewer. I appreciate.. read more
Well done - you have shown the way by your example. Having the courage to open up and say it the way it was makes for a very strong statement. The way you have written it is very direct and to the point.
Great!
Respect,
Alan

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much Alan! :)
My heart goes got to you!
You did it!
You stood up and faced everything that pained you!
To you, a True Leader
-Evans

Posted 7 Years Ago


Kathryn Smith

7 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much!! :) I've never really seen my self as a leader. What a large compliment. Tha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

414 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2016
Last Updated on December 30, 2016


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..