Political Commentary

Political Commentary

A Poem by John Alexander McFadyen
"

Series of senryu.

"

Political Truths

Broken promises

falling like dead autumn leaves,

so unfair to all.

 

09/09/19

 

The Decimation Of Democracy

The people voted

now our representatives

fail to honour us.

 

09/09/19

 

Rank Outsiders

The ruling classes

have the people where they want,

right under their thumbs.

 

10/09/19

© 2019 John Alexander McFadyen


Author's Note

John Alexander McFadyen

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

There has rarely, if ever, been, 'political truth,' only; as we are now witness to, promises drowned in rhetoric. As for the ruling classes, same as it was, same it will ever be.

As for the referendum; I confess to voting remain, mostly for what I saw as the economic advantage of continued business links, rather than taking a leap of faith and trusting to luck that the rest of the world would welcome us with open arms, which I thought rather unlikely. Nevertheless, whilst still being on the side of remain, I fully accept the democratic majority verdict, which was to leave the EU; and to do otherwise, would be a betrayal of every principle of fairness I hold dear.

Beccy.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

An honest perspective Beccy. But I recall New Zealand Lamb and other commonwealth goods. The world h.. read more
Beccy

4 Years Ago

Agreed, the world has indeed changed since 1973, as it has changed since the days of the British emp.. read more
Couldn't agree more with the words in this piece, we're in very frustrating times where the illusion of representation is slipping. A caretaker pm led by Corbyn is almost certain now unfortunately. I used to vote Labour but I could never support a second referendum, Boris Johnsons the only Tory I somewhat like but all of these people are out of touch. You sum up the times we're in very well here :)

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Thank's Sam. Let's just have faith and hope we don't have to take to the streets to defend our democ.. read more
What about us? Great choice of music. Yes indeed, we have the fall of democracy taking place under our noses. I couldn't agree more with the content of each senryu. We face the possibility of all the opposition parties staging a coup, a fixed up job to topple Boris yet prevent an election taking place. You couldn't make it up. Your posted image would have been more appropriate if it had been Banksy depicting his chimps on the green benches. Great political commentary John. Good morning.

Chris

Posted 4 Years Ago


Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I hope you are right. I fear a caretaker government with a remainer like Amber Rudd as caretaker PM... read more
John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Just watched it and I thought he was a wobbler some time back. Glad he isn't as he is an articulate .. read more
Chris Shaw

4 Years Ago

I watched it live as he faced the wrath of a baying opposition. He nailed it, very powerful and you .. read more
Remember, Your vote counts.
It doesn't really, but the slogan rocks.
Common people are there to die in wars.
The spoils always go to the rich, and probably always will.
On that cheery note, are we still in Europe.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Exactly that Paul. Many thanks.
Couldn't agree more and you said it all so well. Pink's song goes with it perfectly.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Thank you Barbara; sorry for the delay but been away on holiday.
Sadly … this is a commentary reflective of reality on both sides of the pond. People gather to protest, demanding change, provoked by one group or another to serve its own purpose, but nothing changes. They gather to protest global warming/climate change; but when they depart, they leave behind mounds of garbage. Celebrities gather to do the same, while flying on their private jets polluting the air and living in multi-million dollar homes where the electric bills are 100 times greater than the average person. The rich are hypocrites, the poor are pawns. All in all, the people are to blame. The government is a symptom of the disease. One cannot abdicate his throne and then complain when he has lost his crown. Until the people assume the mantle of responsibility that they so casually cast aside, nothing will change.

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Indeed you encapsulate the disease so well, thank you for reading.
Here in the USA. Multi-millionaires run our government. We lost already. Rich people running your country. They will control all things. Powerful and needed words shared John.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Agreed, we are not even pawns, mere cattle fodder. Cheers dear poet.
Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

You are right my friend. Just cattle and sheep. Cheers John.
oh these are so true...not even an autumn, they have us in the throes of their winter...not serving us, just serving themselves.
amen....

Posted 4 Years Ago


John Alexander McFadyen

4 Years Ago

Indeed that winter is so true. Thank you for reading Jacob.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2019
Last Updated on September 11, 2019

Author

John Alexander McFadyen
John Alexander McFadyen

Brixworth, England, United Kingdom



About
Well, have a long and complicated story and started it as an autobiography on Bebo but got writer's block/memory fogging. People liked it though and kept asking for the next chapter! fools.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Change Change

A Poem by Soren