Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by PenguinEmpiress
"

chapter 6 of Red Dawn, things are getting interesting - TRIGGERWARNING# NOTHING TO REPORT CAP'N!

"

Chapter 6


The sun slowly rose over the horizon, its rays shining over the dry grass turning it golden. It shone brightly in their eyes as they took long steps through the tall grass. Small breezes blew around their legs pulling and tugging at their clothes before continuing on their journey. The grass brushed against their legs as they slide through it " bindi’s sticking to their pants.


They grabbed at their hoods as the wind blew against their faces before trailing off and then hitting them from the back of the head. Milly held tightly to the strap of the bag, as she stepped over a large log. Her gun fell to her elbow and she let out a frustrated sound when she had to stop and grab the gun strap and pull it back over her shoulder.


“Do you want me to take it?” Tommy asked when he stopped and look at her over his shoulder.


“No. I’m fine.” Milly exclaims as she starts to walk again.


Tommy just lets her go and follows after her - Felix in front of them both. Pouring some of the water out of his canteen, Tommy wipes it over his neck feeling the warm water calm the angry red skin. He rubs his eyes before closing the canteen and tying it back to his belt.


Within seconds he feels the hot sun back on his neck - burning away at the skin - before he pulled his hood back over his head. Tommy looks up at the sun and took in the sight of it only just being of the horizon, his shadow was stretched way out behind him - so was Milly’s and Felix’s.


“Tommy.”


Tommy looks straight ahead at the call of his name and only just catches the long rifle that belonged to Milly. Looking at it then up, Tommy puts on a confused face as he looks at Felix.


“Your turn.” He says simply.


Milly just seems to give the sharpest glare as he handles her gun - if looks could kill. Tommy pulls the strap over his head and holds onto it as it gets into the right place on his back, before he starts walking again.


Milly glares at him for the rest of the walk.


~


The sun stood at its highest peak when a small city came into view. It was just like every other place they had been; buildings falling apart, holes in the earth and most likely deserted. They stopped as they came to a small hill of a fall, slowly they made their way down; Tommy simply jumped but Milly and Felix actually looked for an easier way down.


“That’s what? A good 200metres away?” Tommy asked, shielding his eyes from the sun.


“Something like that.” Felix answered, after he took a drink from the canteen.


“And munchers?” Tommy asked as Felix and Milly started to walk off on him.


“I wouldn’t expect a bunch of zombies to know how to light a fire.” Felix states as he walks, Tommy catching him with long strides.


“I know that. Just- you can never be too careful.” Tommy says cautiously, with a hint of rage behind his words.


“Then be prepared.” Milly states with one of her coldest looks.


Tommy just held the rifle to his side tightly, keeping to the back and watching Milly’s back " seeing as she didn’t have a gun now.


The walk over felt long and tiresome, from the hot stinging rays of the sun. They had long left the long grass and now walked over dry dirt land, only metres from the city.


The closer they got the more they noticed about the down and depressing air that come from the city.


~


Cars were left rotting in the sun; one crashed into a tree and one was crashed into another. A steel beam landed flat over the road surrounded by rubble from a fallen building - which it had come from. Grass grew from the hot-mix of the road and small trees grew through the crack of the road.


The ground crackled as they walked over the rubble and into the gloomy town. An old door creaked from its hinges - a barbers shop -, and its window smashed and glass laying all over the ground of the pathway. Milly’s boots cracked the glass as she walked over and looked through the broken window. Empty chairs and broken mirrors with glass shards over the floor, all this made the empty and deserted shop.


Milly pulled the bag further up her back and walks past the creaking door - her eyes watch it as she walks past. Holding his handgun to his side Felix looks over the area with a steady mind and eyes. Slowly he hears the sound of something crack and feels the pressure under his foot.


Looking at their surrounding once more, Felix slowly crouches down to the ground - aking his foot off the object as he goes. He grabs the object in his hand then holds it out in the sun: It was a golden locket. Putting his gun back into his belt, he wipes the locket with the inside of his shirt and looks it over.


Looking for the lock, he feels the small nob of the lock and presses it in softly. It pops open and reveals the insides of the locket. There was a black and white picture of a couple on one side and nothing on the other. The couple look young, maybe 20’s to 30’s Felix concludes.


Standing up Felix slip’s the locket into his back pocket and grabs out his gun again.


Rubbles falls down from a rock pile suddenly and it frightens them all. Milly stiffens and goes for her gun, only to remember that it’s not there - she groans in annoyance. Tommy flicks the safety off and holds the gun ready, while Felix backs up till he’s closer to them both.


Standing close together they watch more rubble falls from the pile, then suddenly a boy appears on top of the rubble, holding a rifle of his own: a DPMS Panther Arms Oracle NATO. He was tall for the look of his age, with dark coloured hair and bright blue eyes. His face was too serious and tired for his age.


“Who are you?!” He yelled down, with a voice that just didn’t seem to fit his appearance.


Slowly Felix let down his gun and stood up straight with his arms crossed in a motion of defiance before speaking.


“I could ask the same of you?” Felix speaks calmly, but there’s a commanding tone to it.


The boy simply narrows his eyes at them and doesn’t say anything. His gun stays stiffly in his grubby hands, but then another child comes up behind him; a girl, hair blonde like corn and skin like sand. She grabs him by the wrist and says something in a mutter of a whisper.


As quickly as she came, she was gone but not without giving them a quick look over, her eyes seem to train on Milly just as she disappeared behind the rubble again.


“How many of youse are there?” Tommy asks suddenly, the gun holding at his side, but his finger resting on the trigger.


“That’s none of your business!” The boy yells, his glare seems to get worse as time goes on.


Suddenly he slides down the pile and lands just metres from them - his gun resting in his hand, his finger on the trigger. Milly’s eyes look over the area behind her and take in the sight of the gun nozzles pointing out of the cracks in the windows and doors. She looks back at the boy and takes in the sight of his glare directed at her - she narrows her eyes - and she thinks ‘you planned this


Milly takes a step towards Tommy and grabs his arm holding the gun. Tommy looks at her, but just as he’s about to say something he notices the look in her eyes and switches the safety back on, just as he looks back at the darked haired boy.


“Who are you?” He asks again " he wasn’t quite as tall as Felix but he still looked intimidating.


“Travellers.” Felix states simply


“With guns?” His eyes narrow even more - some how.


“You just don’t know who you could run into out here, you know?” Tommy plays, toying with the gun - switching the safety off and on.


“How long you been on your own?” The girl appears again, sitting on the pile of rubble - she asked - in her lap laid a Henry® Lever Rifle, her hand rested over the top of it.


“What’s it matter?” Tommy directs the question to her, ignoring the boy’s glares.


“We’re just curious.” The girl states with this sickly sweet smile.


“Then you don’t need to know.” Milly pitches in for the first time this the beginning of the conversation.


The girls smile drops in a second the sound of Milly’s voice. The look in her eyes as she glares, looks as if she could kill but she doesn’t say anything, instead she stands and jumps down the rubble to join the boy.


Suddenly they hear the click of the safety come off from behind them and take in the sight for four other kids with rifles, all held at blank range. They had this look of absolute fearlessness and it was scary to think that children their age were able to handle guns without having the slightest bit of fear leaking out of them.


They turn back to the boy and the girl and let out a breath of defeat when they see several other kids standing behind them, all holding guns in their direction, all emotionless. Then. Everything goes black…



© 2016 PenguinEmpiress


Author's Note

PenguinEmpiress
This one i did a quick edit - sorta - there shouldnt be to many mistakes this time around anyway.
But this one is nice and short, so I'll just get straight onto the next one i guess!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on June 10, 2016
Last Updated on July 10, 2016
Tags: Nothing to say XD


Author

PenguinEmpiress
PenguinEmpiress

QLD, Australia



About
'Do not pity yourself. If you wallow in self pity, life will be an endless nightmare' ~ Dazai Osamu I'm a loner .o./ Guess i should write something other than that, hey? :p. Ok lets see, I pers.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by PenguinEmpiress


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by PenguinEmpiress