One

One

A Chapter by Ink

“I can only note that the past is beautiful because one never realizes an emotion at the time. It expands later, and thus we don't have complete emotions about the present, only about the past.” 
― Virginia Woolf




This.

This is the happiest day in Grace Welsh's life. Had been mostly the bridesmaid, now she is the bride. No more trips to the Spirit isle, she can let go of the bottles of pinot noir and no more going to work drunk the next day. She paces herself, waiting for the knock on that door, for Gabriel to pick her up and walk her down the aisle. Gabriel is ecstatic, he isn't married yet but he was the happiest one in the room when she told her family about the engagement, her twin brother actually danced upon the announcement. She tries to calm herself, all the emotions are flooding, she can't possibly ruin her make-up. Her best friend Macy labored to give her the glow-of-angel look. Macy had been her best friend from day 1 of college and they shared dormitories. 'Hmm, if Macy had not met Justin, would she and Gabriel be good for each other?' She smiled and thought she should be thinking of holding back her tears when she starts to say the vow.

Tack Tack!
That's it, that's the cue.

"I'll take the liberty of contacting some support groups and, and Grace?" Dr. Wright scanned her face, she was just staring out the window. She is uninterested in whatever came after that amendment suggestion. He should have probably saved it for last or not include it at all. If not for his greediness he could have had a decent conversation with his Mother-in-Law especially in this moment.

 "Grace will you please listen?" He asked gently "I am saying these things because..." He couldn't do it. James Wright had been a physician for at least 15 years, bad news are constant and more frequent than good in his clientele. He broke more hearts and spirits, shook families and friends with news that are unwelcome. However, Grace is his family, he doesn't have a perfect relationship with her but Grace is a woman he admired. It is unfair, just when he was beginning to understand her and her beginning to appreciate him, the timing of her illness is perfect. So he must do it "Grace I am sharing these with you because you are my mother" Grace gave him a raised brow " In-Law" he added then continued " I want to help you really because I know the impact this has for our family" Grace lowered her brow and faced James again, this time a bit more submissive and James grabbed the chance. "I don't want to give you empty promises, I want to work this out and give you the best possible outcome" 

"I already have it!" Grace interjected a bit apprehended
"You know I meant Grace" James held his ground
"No one has to know" Grace tilted her head

"Well lucky for you I'am your doctor and your son-in-law so somehow someone had to know" They're back to one and James need that progress back " It would be better if we did not hide this from anyone, sure no other people will have to know but the family? Your family deserve the truth Grace, you always talk about transparency so why not now?" 

Grace inhaled, and smiled a small one " Because, dear James, not everyone is a strong as I am or you are. Also because I have thought about making amend, the amend, so I don't want anything ruining my plan. I am going to make amends on my terms and maybe gain that control you so want to have for me against this-this thing".

 James finally laid his back to his chair, nodded and let go of the strain clinging in his throat "Alright, however if Amelia asked or if she found out I won't lie to her, I will understand if you would hate me then but I won't lie to your daughter, no not to my wife."  Grace said nothing, and James then escorted her out of the conference room. 

Grace wanted to say something to James, she wanted to thank him but not just for today. James is a good man, though she won't tell him or Amelia but she lived with less worry once James came into their family, he will always have Amelia's back someone will take care of her daughter when she is gone. Had William been the same maybe things aren't how they are now, but William himself passed away a few years ago. Did he lived happily? Was that woman the 'satisfaction' she was not? Yet it was her name William kept whispering before he slept forever, maybe the b*****d did loved her when they were together.

Tack Tack! "Gracie?" Gabriel came inside her room with his bright smile and pressed suite.

"Come here moron what did you do to your tie?" Grace immediately forgot her tremors and arranged his tie taking in every moment slowly. 

"You know we had a bet once, do you remember?" Gabriel laughed quietly "A hundred dollars to whoever gets married first?" Grace answered 
"Oh come on you turned it around!" They both laughed loud

That day was perfect, perhaps because Gabriel was there, she was not alone. If only she knew the things to come.


© 2018 Ink


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on May 14, 2018
Last Updated on May 14, 2018
Tags: family, slice-of-life


Author

Ink
Ink

About
I am new, not really a pro. I just want to write. more..

Writing
Truth be told Truth be told

A Poem by Ink


The Village The Village

A Chapter by Ink


Luck Luck

A Chapter by Ink