Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by CassieLynne

 

“Audrey?” My mother called me from the kitchen.
I walked into the room and glared at my mother. The only reason she ever called me by my real name was when she was upset at me. She didn’t seem to notice my glaring face as she spoke, or else she just chose to ignore it.
“How long are you going to keep your room unpacked?” My mom asked, as she turned to face me, throwing her dishrag into the sink. I shrugged as she placed her hands on her hips. “Auddi, we’ve been over this.” I turned my back on her and started to leave the room as I spoke over my shoulder.
 “That’s right. We have been over this. I told you mom, there’s no point.” I didn’t have to explain further as we had already had this conversation before, to no avail. I bounded up the stairs to my room and slammed the door. I barely noticed the piles of boxes stacked on my bedroom floor as I went to my computer and switched it on. Both my mother and I were fairly used to constantly moving. My father currently worked for a business company called Tradeworks, and he was always being asked to do something for the company in different areas of the country. For all I knew, he could come home today and announce our new moving date. After our eleventh move, I begrudgingly accepted it. I didn’t bother to make new friends anymore, just acquaintances whom I ate with at lunch and had classes with in school. My only real friendship was with a girl from Nova Scotia, where I had lived for almost a year. Isabelle Sauer, who found my emails quite fascinating because of all the news I had to share, kept in touch with me by email. As I logged onto my computer, I felt a pang of loneliness, as I realized how much I really did miss her. I opened up my email account and read through some junk letters until I found what I was looking for; Isabelle’s message. I excitedly clicked it open, and read thoroughly.
Dear Auddi,
Sorry about the delay in writing to you. The internet wasn’t working here for a bit because of those ocean storms. You know what I’m talking about I’m sure. Last week was pretty exciting for two reasons. One, my sister finally had her baby after being almost two weeks overdue. She had a baby girl, and decided to name her Alison. Ali is such a cutie. I get to look after her a lot, since my sister and her husband still work during the week. The second thing, I’m now 17! I actually just got your happy birthday email prior to writing this, and I thank you so much! It was very sweet of you. Don’t forget your birthday is coming up. Sorry, I’m just laughing because I know you’re dreading it. Let’s see, today is the 15th… that means tomorrow is your birthday if my calendar is correct (which I assure you, it is). I don’t understand you, though. Why are you dreading your birthday? These are supposed to be the best years of your life! Just give it some time, good things WILL happen for you! Get out there and celebrate a little, I know how you are, just sitting in your house, on the computer reading this like a… well lets not get into that today. I don’t want you ticked off at me or anything. Trust me, as your best friend, I should know. Ah well, I’m technically supposed to be studying for summer classes right now. I’m surprised my parents trust me with a computer in my room… I can hardly get anything done! I miss you so much, but don’t worry, we’ll talk again soon I’m sure. Have a great birthday, okay? At least try for me, and remember, I’m vouching for you!
Love your BEST friend, Izzie.
I quickly wrote back to Isabelle, and then signed offline. There was nothing more of interest left to do on the computer anyways. I laughed inwardly to myself at Isabelle’s enthusiastic email. It was so her. I guess I would have to enjoy being seventeen, especially if it meant keeping her happy. I couldn’t fully explain to myself why I was dreading my birthday. Maybe it was just because I knew it wouldn’t be anything special or different from all of the other birthdays that I had had. I just hated getting older. My childhood memories, or those that were actually memorable, were slowly slipping away, and I was truly starting to miss them. My stomach grumbled and I glanced at the clock. Dinner should be ready, and with the sweet scent of food would come the not so sweet presence of my father. He was so distant these days, and it seemed that all he really cared about was his job. My mom seemed blind to it all, but I was sure that she felt it too. I trudged downstairs just as I heard my father come through the front door. He smiled hello to me and put his arm around my shoulder as I headed to greet him.
“Hey, how’s my girl?” He asked as he set his briefcase down by his shoes.
“Hi dad. How was your day?” I asked, clearly uninterested. He hung up his jacket and looked solemnly at me.
“Actually, I have some news for you and your mother. I’ll tell you over dinner.” I rolled my eyes behind his back, and I knew what would be coming. I uneasily opened the hallway closet, and grabbed some napkins for dinner. My mother had already set the table, and was serving the food as I entered the dining room. We were having steak and potatoes. My mother never cooked great food unless she was either happy, or trying to lighten the mood for unhappy news. Maybe it was just me, but I thought my mother might already know the news as we silently sat down and began to eat. My father cleared his throat and spoke.
“My company would like to set up our business down in Nobel, around the Georgian Bay area. They volunteered me, well, they asked me, if I would be willing to do it for them.” I stared at my plate and chewed my food, not really tasting it. I knew that my dad was waiting for a reaction, and I was not about to give him one. I was surprised when my mom spoke up.
“Wait a minute. We’re moving again John? I hope you didn’t say yes. You told them you had to discuss it with me first, right?” I peeked up at my mother’s expression, and she was glaring icily at my father. My dad avoided her gaze and retorted,
“Honey, please understand that it’s for the benefit of our family. Without us moving, I wouldn’t have a job, and without a job, we’d have nowhere to live. You know this as much as I do, yet you continue to get upset whenever we have to move.” My dad spoke steadily and calmly, which I guessed infuriated my mother even more.
“John, I’m sick of this! I don’t care if your company asked you to move to Alaska. You could at least take the liberty to discuss matters with me, your wife, first!” My mother slammed her fork down on the table, and I jumped slightly. I wished I could just slip away unnoticed, but I knew this involved me as well. My dad sighed and rose from the table.
“You do this every time Helen. Why can’t you understand? I’m doing this for you and for Audrey. I’d rather die than see us struggling with poverty. What did you expect me to tell them? ‘I won’t turn down your offer, just let me get my wife’s approval first’?” My mother’s face looked so red, I actually felt sorry for her. Uncharacteristically, my mother coldly spoke in a quiet voice.
“Fine John, we’ll go where you have to go. We’ll even go willingly, but it doesn’t mean that we’re going to like it.” My mother stood up and walked towards the kitchen, turning around once more and added acidly, “Oh, and you don’t have my approval.”
She left the room and my dad sat down angrily and ate his food. I gave him the dirtiest look possible, and went to my room, still bewildered from what I just witnessed. I didn’t care that my mom had just spoken for me. Who knew that my mom had been affected as much as I had?

 



© 2009 CassieLynne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The conversation is believable, and you have a talent for making the mundane interesting!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very nice chapter.
What I really liked about this chapter, it's the way you make the conversations between the characters very realistic :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

169 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 14, 2009