Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A Chapter by CassieLynne

 

“Audrey, here, let me help you.” I groaned as Liam help me to sit up against the wall of the well.
“What happened? What did you do?” I asked light-headedly.
“Do you remember everything that I just showed you? It’s part of my ‘abilities’…” Liam stated shyly. I nodded warily, and asked breathlessly.
“What happened to them?” Liam rubbed the back of his neck.
“I loved them, they were my family. They…are gone forever.” A silvery tear glistened on his cheek. “I can’t tell you what happened, for fear that you will be harmed. I have certain abilities that no one else in this world has… I can read thoughts, for example. They changed me that day, and I’m not safe to be with.” He added in a whisper.
“Liam, who are they?” I asked, even though I felt strange about the question. Overall, I was sure that I would stay by Liam’s side no matter what was going to happen, but I couldn’t help wondering why I didn’t fear Liam and his warnings.
“This whole situation is crazy. My life is a mess, and I have no idea what to do or where to go…” Liam sat down beside me and closed his eyes. I let my hand fall onto his gently.
“Liam, I’m here for you. If I’m the only person that you have told about this…situation, then you’re going to need someone that can help you. I promise I will do everything I can to fix this.” I stared at him with a determined expression. He opened his eyes and smiled a small but cautious smile. He suddenly recovered from his moment of weakness.
“Audrey, you never cease to amaze me…I know I’ve told you my story, but you have no idea how much danger you’d be getting yourself into if you pledged yourself to helping me. It’s going to be harder than you think.”
“Liam, how old are you?”
“What?”
“How old are you?”
“Oh…I’m eighteen, but what does that have to do with what we were just talking about?” He stared at me in confusion.
“I was just changing the subject. I don’t care how hard or dangerous it’s going to be, I’m determined to help you. Anything that you say to change my mind will be a useless attempt.” I smiled at him playfully and got up from the ground. “Eighteen hmm? You’re not that much older than I.” Liam stood up, furrowing his brow.
“Audrey, please, just consider it before you make the decision.”
“You look cute when you do that.”
“Do what?” Now Liam really looked confused.
“When you have that serious look on your face.” I giggled and headed towards the exit of the clearing. “I’ll see you later, I promised my mom I wouldn’t be gone all day.” I heard Liam sigh from behind me. I turned around to find Liam following close behind me.
“Is that another thing you have, super speed?” I smiled half-heartedly. Liam laughed.
“Well, I guess so. I don’t really notice, I was still pretty quick before I was…changed.”
“So, where do you go now?” I asked with genuine curiosity.
“Well,” He started shyly. “I have a little shelter I built last year. You know, to keep me dry when the weather is bad.”
“Show me.”
“Do you have time?”
“Of course,” I smiled. Then he took my hand and led me out of the clearing.
 
“This is not just a shelter Liam!” I exclaimed in amazement.
“Okay, so I spent a bit of time on it. I needed something to call my home though, right? Here, let’s go inside, I’ll show you!” We went inside the small wooden hut and right away it reminded me of home. Not where I lived now, but when I was a child, and before my father got his new job. We had lived there for four or five years. My parents lived there before I was born, and I loved it. I missed it dearly when we moved for the first time. Now it seemed like ages since we had first moved.
The hut was astonishing. The walls were lined with branches and grasses, obviously for some insulation. There was a cooler where some food was stored, a little table and chair, and a soft looking bed along the back wall. A small shelf contained a few books, papers, and writing utensils. Underneath that shelf was a small basket containing a few items of clothing. A rocking chair in the corner of the room caught my eye. It was made of maple and folded on the seat was a hand made blanket. It had a picture of three people, but I couldn’t see it clearly, as it was folded and the creases cut the picture off.
            “Wow, this place is amazing!” I exclaimed in awe. Liam looked at me curiously.
“It’s just a tiny little shack. I would hardly call it amazing.” I smiled and looked around the room again. A sudden gust of wind tousled my hair and sent a shiver down my spine. I wrapped my arms around myself and looked to see where the breeze was coming from.
            “Why is it so cold in here?” I asked, shivering slightly. I turned to look at Liam and was shocked by what I saw. His eyes were dark, and he seemed to be snarling at something.
            “Liam?” I asked, but my voice came out as a small whisper. Liam turned his dark eyes on me.
“We have to go.” He turned to go and I followed him nervously out of the shack and back to the forest path. When we got to the fork in the path, he stopped.
            “You should go home now. I have a few things that I need to take care of.” He looked back in the direction that we had just come.            I nodded silently and walked towards home, still shocked at what I had witnessed.
“I’ll see you tomorrow.” I said, and looked to catch a glimpse of him one last time. He wasn’t there, though, so I sighed and made my way home.
 
            As I neared the house, everything seemed unexplainably quiet. I opened my front door, and it creaked eerily. All the hallway windows were shut, and the house was basked in a sullen darkness.
            “Hello?” I called, half wondering if I was in a dream.
            A potted plant fell from the edge of a step on the stairs that curled upwards leading to the second floor. I gasped and took a step back towards the front door. I suddenly heard that strange whispering, buzzing noise that I had heard coming from my laundry basket the other night. I squinted my eyes, trying to see what was on the stairs. Was that the hem of a long gown? Or maybe it was a blanket or curtain of some sort.
            “Surprise!”
            I half jumped out of my skin as I saw my parents coming out of the kitchen with someone trailing behind them. Then I saw who it was more clearly.
            “Isabelle!?” I exclaimed in amazement.
            “Happy belated birthday Auddi!” Isabelle ran up to me and we embraced. I had missed her so much, and now she was finally here! I took one last look at the stairs before following the others into the living room. Whatever was there before was gone.


© 2009 CassieLynne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ugh! So good

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 14, 2009