Chapter IV

Chapter IV

A Chapter by PhillyCheeseBro

Ailia walked as she heard someone from the house call her name. She didn’t have the space in her brain to register it. She was so caught up in thinking, she didn’t realize she had left her cloak at the house. She walked with her eyes to the ground, shifting still, too focused on retaining and understanding the information she was given. One of her best friends had a crush on her. Not only that, but she seemed to be the last to know.

“Was that what Sky meant the other day?” Ailia said aloud to herself. As she continued walking, she bumped into someone, but before she could apologize and continue on, the situation became very familiar.

“I know you,” the voice of the person she had just bumped into started. The voice brought her out of her mind. “You’re the one who crashed into me at the market ereyesterday.” Ailia’s eyes widened.

“Well," Ailia started. "Almost knocking you over a second time is certainly a conversation starter. Sorry.” She held out her hand with a nervous smile. “I’m Ailia, you?”

“Cecelia.” The person in front of her stated as she took her hand with a similar smile. Ailia smiled back.

'Her hands are so soft,' Ailia thought as they separated. She looked to the dress Cecelia was wearing. Just like last time, it was far too fancy to be something from the slums.

“So,” Ailia started. “Where’d you get that fancy dress? I haven’t seen anything like it down here.”

“Oh, I uh,” Cecelia paused. She hesitated before answering. “It was made for me.”

“‘Made for you’?” Ailia questioned. “Is someone in your family a clothes maker?”

“Uh, yeah. My um, my mom is.” Cecelia stuttered out.

“Woah, lucky!” Ailia responded, eyes lighting up. “Where’d they find the material? It looks so fancy.”

“Oh, she uh, she has connections.” Cecelia responded slowly. Ailia cocked an eyebrow, but kept her suspicions to herself.

“So, you live around here? I haven’t seen you before until the other day and I know almost everyone here. Oh, did you just move from a different town? Does it look the same as here? I’ve always wanted to visit the other towns.” Her hands made gestures as she spoke, a conversation in of itself. Ailia had a smile on her face and fireflies in her eyes. Cecelia looked at her with awe. How was the girl in front of her so… she didn’t have a word for it. The way she acted, the way she sounded, how her eyes lit up with wonder. All of it was, for lack of a better word, breathtaking.

“Uh, yeah,” Cecelia finally said. “I just moved here from a town just across the way. It looks pretty much the same as here. I do have to say though, this town has a much better view.” She said with a smile, looking at Ailia.

“Really? How so? I wouldn’t have thought there would be too much of a difference of view. Do you get a better look at the castle here?” Cecelia’s smile dropped a bit, her attempt to give Ailia a complement falling flat on its face. “I can show you some places where you can get a really good look at it.” Her smile returned.

“That sounds fun, I’ll make sure to hold you to it.” Cecelia’s hand extended and Ailia smiled as she grabbed it.

“It’s a date then,” she said as she shook Cecelia’s hand, eyes closed and smiling wide. Cecelia’s face grew red at that, and she quickly stuttered out a response.

“Uh- I- y-yeah. It’s a date.” The smile on Cecelia’s face grew a bit wider. Her blush deepened when she realized Ailia was still holding her hand. Ailia noticed that she was looking at their hands.

“Ah, sorry,” she said as she let go. “Your hands are really soft by the way.”

“Oh- I um, thank you. I…” She paused. “Thank you,” she repeated as she looked away. After a moment, she cleared her throat. "So, uh, what do you do for fun around here?" Cecelia asked, turning her head to look Ailia in the eyes.

Her eyes were pretty. Distractingly so. Those eyes. Ailia didn’t know how to describe them. They were like a feeling she knew, but not one she ever felt. Almost like fire, like heat, but not of the kind she knew. More of the kind she’d read. Fire that fell from the heavens. Sharp and quick. Like the stars she had never seen, and the sun she had never felt. She wanted to know more of those eyes. She wanted to see more of those eyes. To study and to learn. But her time was cut short when Cecelia asked her another question.

"Ailia? Are you alright?" A slight look of concern crossed her face.

“Oh uh, my bad. You just have distractingly pretty eyes.” Cecelia squeaked as she dawned a look of surprise. Ailia continued, not noticing Cecelia’s reaction to what she had said. Or even registering what she herself had said. “But I’m in no rush to get back there right now.”

“Oh? Why is that?” Cecelia asked, voice a bit shaky.

“My friend just gave me some,” she paused. “Interesting news. I need a bit to process.” Cecelia looked at her with a sad and questioning expression, wanting to know more without knowing how to ask. “Oh, it’s nothing bad.” Ailia said, hearing Cecelia’s silent question. “He just uh,” She paused. “He just told me he has a crush on me.” She spoke slowly, not trusting her words.

“Oh?" Cecelia said with slight dismay. "And what did you say?”

“I uh, left. Walked right out.” Ailia wasn’t sure what kind of response she would get, but, for whatever reason, she wasn't expecting her to be visibly baffled.

“I’m sorry,” Cecelia said, closing her agape mouth. “I just, I wasn’t expecting that. You walked out after he told you?”

“I know it sounds ridiculous, but I didn’t know what to do,” Ailia said. "I still don't know what to do. I don't wanna hurt him, and I don't want things to be weird. I just don't know." She let out deep sigh, and after a beat of silence, Cecelia asked an important question.

“So, you don't like him back?” Before Ailia could answer, she saw Sky coming towards them.

“Ailia, I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” Sky said, holding Ailia’s cloak. “I brought your cloak.” They handed her the cloak, then noticed the girl beside her. “Hey, you’re the person we ran into the other day, right?” They asked.

“I am indeed.” Cecelia said, extending her hand. “Cecelia.” Sky took her hand with a smile.

“Skyler.” They responded. The two shook hands before letting go. “If you don’t mind me asking,” they began. “What’s with the fancy getup?”

“Oh, well I, uh,” Cecelia started before being cut off by Ailia.

“Her mom is a clothes maker! Isn’t that cool?” Ailia said with a big smile.

“Oh wow, that sounds fun,” they responded with a smile. “Anyway,” they said, turning to Ailia. “The next time you run out, make sure to take your cloak. What if some guard caught you?” They asked, concerned. Ailia threw on her cloak, choosing to keep the hood off.

“You’re right, I’ll make sure to run through my checklist the next time someone says they have a crush on me.” Ailia sarcastically responded. Cecelia laughed before she could stop herself, causing the other two to laugh as well.

“Fair enough,” Sky said. “I'm heading back now.” They turned, back facing the two girls. “And be prepared, Kie is expecting an answer when you get back.”

“I can hear the smirk on your face.” Ailia said as Sky walked away, letting out a laugh as they did. She ran her hand through her hair as she turned back to Cecelia. “You wouldn’t happen to have any advice on how to let a friend down easy, would you?”

“You don’t like him?” Cecelia asked again. Ailia shook her head in response.

“I’m not really sure how to explain it fully, but the short answer is no. I need to find the best way to let him down, I don’t wanna hurt him.” She said. As Ailia opened her mouth to say more, she saw past the girl in front of her. She saw a guard. Her eyes widened as they locked eyes, and the guard slowly walked towards the two.

“There’s a guard.” She said without breaking eye contact. “We have to go.” Ailia grabbed one of Cecelia’s hands in hers. “Come with me,” she said before running off in an unknown direction. The guard began chasing and shouting out to them.

Cecelia ran alongside her, stunned. She looked down at her hand that was still interlocked with Ailia’s. A smile grazed her lips. Something in her had told her this girl would be fun. They reached the loud and busy market square, running hand in hand, and Cecelia couldn’t help but let out a laugh.

“I knew it was a good idea to befriend you!” She shouted over the noise of the market. Her laugh, Ailia found, was light and bubbly. Beautiful. It made her want to laugh, too. Ailia turned, seeing the guard looking for the two.

Ailia pulled Cecelia into a dark corridor beside a tall building. She pressed the girl against herself to hide her. Ailia’s back was to a wall, turned against the path they just ran down. The wall was barley wide enough to cover her. One arm wrapped around Cecelia’s waist, while the other was supporting herself against the wall. She stuck her head out and around, just barely enough to see. When she saw the guard run their direction, Ailia held Cecelia closer to her. The guard ran past, and Ailia let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding. She turned her head back to Cecelia, needing to look down to meet her eyes. Cecelia looked up, still pressed against Ailia. They stared for a moment, knowing nothing but the other’s eyes. Ailia knew she read something that describes those eyes perfectly, but she couldn’t remember what. Cecelia seemed to realize how close they were before Ailia did, but she didn’t leave her arms yet. When in her arms, she felt warm. Safe. Then she realized something. Ailia’s arms were extremely muscular.

“Oh, uh, sorry about that,” Ailia said, pulling her arms away and letting Cecelia some space. Cecelia silently both thanked and cursed Alstana. Cursed for having Ailia let her go so soon, and thanked for the darkness, hiding the obvious blush on her face. She cleared her throat before responding.

“No worries,” she said quickly. She couldn’t meet Ailia’s eyes and ran her hand through her hair. The corridor they were in was small and didn’t allow much movement. Even though they had separated, the two were still closer than normal.

“I think the guard is gone,” Ailia said. “But we'll be found if we stay here.” She walked out of the small indentation of the wall and jumped. She latched onto the bottom rung of a rusted ladder connected to the building’s fire escape She and it dropped, stopping hard before it hit the ground, Ailia letting go just before the abrupt stop. Cecelia let out a small squeak of shock at the bang of the ladder stopping. Ailia took the first few steps up, reaching back down with extended hand and a smile.

Cecelia looked up at Ailia, then looked at her hand. She slowly extended her hand to meet Ailia’s with a smile. Before she could grab her hand, the guard ran to the front end of the corridor.

“P-Princess!?” He asked.

“Time to go!” Ailia shouted as she reached down to grab Cecelia’s hand. Cecelia exclaimed in surprise as Ailia lifted her up onto the ladder and they both started to climb. When they got to the top, Ailia asked “Did he just say 'princess'?”

"I, um-" Cecelia was cut when the guard finished climbing the ladder and started shouting for them to halt.

“Lets go back to that when we're in the clear.” Ailia said as she picked up the girl and carried her in her arms while she ran.

“Wha-What are you doing!?” Cecelia exclaimed.

“Getting ready to jump.” Ailia picked up speed as she ran. “Just close your eyes and hold on tight.” She said, approaching the edge. She wasn’t worried about the jump; it wasn't huge and she had done it every day for months trying to perfect the landing. “Here we go!” She exclaimed. Cecelia held on to her tight, eyes squeezed shut. Her arm wrapped around the back of Ailia’s neck and hid her face in Ailia’s chest.

Ailia jumped, and time seemed to slow down. Cecelia slowly opened her eyes to look up into Ailia’s. She felt her heart flutter at the sight. Ailia’s face was focused and set. Her eyes shown in the dim light. Ailia landed on her feet, stumbling a bit.

“Wow. I landed that.” Ailia said to herself with a smile. They both looked back, Cecelia still in Ailia’s arms. The guard was standing at the ledge.

“Princess, what are you doing!?” He called out.

“Having fun!” Cecelia shouted back with a laugh. The guard took a few steps back, getting ready to jump. Cecelia jumped out of Ailia’s arms before grabbing her hand and running again.

Ailia ran alongside the laughing princess. She was astonished. She always pictured the princess being prissy and stuck up. But this girl beside her was the complete opposite. Ailia couldn’t help the laugh that bubbled out of her. Her unexpectedly carefree nature was infectious. As they reached the edge of the building, Ailia again picked up Cecelia to jump. But this time, they were laughing as they flew across. They landed on a partially burned building. They again turned, expecting to see the guard. But they saw nothing.

“That was the most fun I’ve ever had!” Cecelia exclaimed, still laughing and still in Ailia’s arms. Neither seemed to notice.

“That was pretty fun,” Ailia said, also laughing. Her laugh slowly stopped as she looked out and saw the flood of people had thinned substantially. “But sadly, the fun is over. I have to be home soon.” She looked down and into Cecelia’s eyes. “Oh, sorry, didn’t realize I was still holding you,” Ailia said, a bit embarrassed. She put Cecelia back on the ground.

“Do I even weigh anything to you?” Cecelia asked with a cocked brow.

“No. Not really,” Ailia said nonchalantly.

“Well then,” Cecelia started with a slight blush, not meeting Ailia’s eyes. he cleared her throat before continuing. “I hope we can see each other again soon. Being with you is fun.” Ailia’s eyes lit up as she smiled.

“That sounds great.” She paused. “Hmm… Oh, I know!” Ailia grabbed Cecelia’s hands in her own. “Tomorrow, you can meet me at the dragon cages when I finish work!”

“You work at the dragon cages?” Cecelia’s eyes lit up as wide smile spread across her face.

“Well, I start as a cage hand tomorrow.” Ailia said.

“That’s so cool! I’ve always loved seeing the dragons. I’m a bit jealous of you.” She said with a small laugh.

“Well, why don’t we see if they have an opening?” Ailia offered.

“Oh no, I’m not allowed to work. My father would have a come apart.” Cecelia paused. “Thank you though. For the offer, and for one of the most fun days I’ve ever had. I’ll make sure to visit the cages tomorrow.” Cecelia realized they had never let go of each other’s hands. She smiled slightly before letting go. “I have to go. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Cecelia looked back, seeing the gap they had jumped. “Um, how do I...?”

“Right over here.” Ailia said, showing Cecelia to a fire escape. She kicked the rusting Krackel Quartz metal, ladder falling to its full length. Cecelia started to climb down carefully. When she got a few rungs down, Ailia called her name. She looked up, seeing Ailia on one knee to be level with her, their faces now very close.

“Cecelia,” she started. “Be safe out there.” Cecelia took a quick deep breath through her nose, shoulders rising.

“Um, I uh, y-yeah. You too.” Cecelia said, not meeting Ailia eyes. Her face flushed as she descended. Ailia stood, looking out at the view around her. It reminded her a few days ago when she and Sky running from the guard, and she had gotten an amazing view of The Kozowa. She sat there a while, thinking of what happened and what was to come. After a few minutes had past, she stood. With a smile, she stepped down onto the first rung of the ladder.


© 2023 PhillyCheeseBro


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

14 Views
Added on August 21, 2023
Last Updated on November 13, 2023
Tags: fiction, fantasy, lgbtqia, romance, adventure, wip


Author

PhillyCheeseBro
PhillyCheeseBro

Moody, AL



About
I'm just here to write about my lesbians :) He/they/she/it more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by PhillyCheeseBro


Chapter I Chapter I

A Chapter by PhillyCheeseBro