An Arrangement

An Arrangement

A Chapter by Phoenix Ashes

Chapter Two: An Arrangement

                The new morning brought new things, something I was usually happy of. I had slept in mother and father’s room through the night, under mother’s demand. Chauncey had been shot, but was expected to make a full recovery. Above all, the thing that was most frightening of all was that the Imposter was still in the castle- in the dungeon prisoner holding area- but in my home nonetheless, and I could tell that mother was not at all happy about this.

                “Can’t we send him off?” Mother asked that morning at breakfast.

                “Out of the question. This is the only place where…interrogation…is appropriate.” Torture. I could tell that was what he meant. Why didn’t the imposter just tell them who he was working for? Why was it so important that I be taken?

                “Does he not speak?” My mother asked.

                “Not a word.” My father said, “I’m starting to believe my dream was actually the future-” here we go again; “I think it was Relishe who sent him to abduct our daughter.”

                “Preposterous,” my mother said, “The King of Relishe has long been our friend and ally.”

                “We can trust no one.” my father said, “I’ve been thinking of sending you and Flora away.”

                “No,” My mother said, “That would bring suspicion and show fear to our enemy, whoever they may be; I will not leave my country.”

                “Flora will.” my father told her.

                “Excuse me?” I asked, nearly choking on my ham.

                “You heard me. You are not safe here.” My father said, obviously going bonkers. “I know not though, of who we can trust.”

                “No one- you just said it a moment ago.” my mother replied, I could tell she was watching her tongue again.

                “We will speak about it in private. I don’t want anyone to hear.” my father looked around paranoid, watching the guards and the servants closely. They looked frightened to the bone.

      *~*~*~*~*~*

                Mother, father, and I sat in the private longue in my parents’ bedroom after lunch. Father was pacing across the room, hand massaging his goatee.

                “Your parents?” Father suggested. Oh my, that would be dreadful. Day…weeks…months with my mother’s parent would feel like eternity. My grandmother had a knack for pointing out all my imperfections, while my grandfather had a knack for ordering me around as if I were his servant.

                “They are away in Ireland for their annual charity drive.” my mother told him. Phew.

                “How about…Clarisse?” my father recommended.

                “You’d trust Clarisse?” I knew something happened between Clarisse and my father; I didn’t want to think about what.

                “Wait-” my father looked as though he’d had an epiphany, “Roger Wesley…”

                “Who?” my mother and I asked in usion.

                “He was my best, dearest friend when we were children.” my father explained, looking as though he was drifting back into his childhood, “I used to live near his family’s ranch before I became King. We were the greatest of friends, Roger and I. I haven’t spoken to him in years, but I think…”

                “Who knows what has become of him!” Mother shouted standing up, I looked at her in shock, “He could be a crook for all we know. We can’t trust anyone, especially people who you haven’t seen in years!”

                “If you have not forgotten…” my father said this very quietly, scary quite, “I AM KING! YOU WILL NOT SPEAK TO ME AS THOUGH I WERE YOUR CHILD! I AM RULER OF THIS COUNTRY AND YOU, SO I WILL DECIDE WHAT I WILL DO WITH MY DAUGHTER!”    

                My mother sat back down. Her eyes were red and puffy and a sudden anger washed over me.

                “May I be excused?” I asked.

                “No.” my father replied at once. I leaned back against the sofa and tried not to think about anything.

                “I will send for Roger and go over some things.” father said. “Flora, begin packing your bags.”

                “Father…” I asked, “What if I don’t want to go? What if I feel like a coward for running away while you and mother are here in danger.”

                “You come first.” mother told me.

                “She was talking to me.” father interrupted. Mother looked down again. “You must be kept safe, Flora, whoever was trying to take you obviously meant it as a forewarning to something ghastly. I will not have you here while the Imposter is being…detained…but do not fret, my dear, once the Imposter tells of his origins you will be able to return at once.”  That didn’t make me feel any better, but I decided not to argue- it would be unless and unladylike

                “Yes father.” I told him.

                “You two are dismissed.” I stood up and left the room quickly, not wanting to see the look on my mother’s face when she was being dismissed from her own room.

                “Princess Flora, Chauncey requests your presence.” the guard outside the room told me. My eyes widened in joy. I had nearly forgotten about Chauncey, the man who took a bullet for me.

                “Where is he?” I asked quickly.

                “I will take you there.” the guard said, leading me down the hall. I felt like I shouldn’t be so keen to quickly trust any of the guards, but this guard- Philip, I believe- I had known for awhile. I could tell all the guards were frightened of doing anything uncharacteristic or even anything but guarding the King and his family, for fear that they would be the next to be ‘detained.’

                “He’s just in there, your majesty.” the guard said, planting himself outside the door, standing at attention.

                I walked into the guest room my father had order Chauncey to stay in. My father said that no hero would be made to sleep in the servant’s chamber. Chauncey was lying on the bed, a beige bandage tied tightly around his torso. He turned to me when I came in and his lips turned up into a pleasant smile.

                “There you are.” Chauncey said, slightly groaning, “I was wondering when you’d visit me.”

                I walked over to him bed, trying not to look too eager to see him, especially after what happened yesterday.

                “I’m glad you’re alright.” I told him, “And I want to thank you for saving Me.” he smiled and shrugged, though it looked like it brought him pain for he groaned quite loudly. I rushed over to his side, alarmed. “What’s wrong?”

                “Nothing, nothing.” he said through gritted teeth, “I’m fine.”

                I continued to stare at him in distress. I wanted more than anything to make him feel better. My father was right, he was a hero. My hero.

                “It was my duty and pleasure.” Chauncey said, smiling again which calmed me down a tad. I said beside him, feeling calm about everything due to his presence.

                “They’re sending me away.” I told Chauncey. It was supposed to be a secret- me leaving- but if I couldn’t trust Chauncey, the man who just saved my life, who could I trust. Besides, it’s not like he knew where I was going.

                “Where?” he asked, he frowned.

                “I don’t know.” I told him, “But away and I don’t know for how long, until the kidnapper speaks is what my father said.”

                “I will miss you.” he said. I felt mad that he couldn’t have been a higher rank than the Queen’s Assistant and Personal Servant. He seemed like knight material to me. I wanted to kiss him right then, but it would be inappropriate and pointless. Soon I would be married off to some man I had never met and I knew that since I was nine years old.

                “I hope you feel better.” I said, standing up and giving him one last glance.

                “Thank you, Princess.” he replied as I walked out the door and into the large, empty hallway. Empty besides the seven guards hovered around me. I felt trapped. I could never have one moment to myself, even when I felt like I was going to cry. I kept my face, like all good royal people do- show no weakness, that’s what my father always told me.

                The biggest question I face right now was not: who was the imposter? Or why did he try to take me. It was: What is love? Would I know when I was in it? Have I been in love but never noticed? Did I love Chauncey? Did mother and father actually love each other? Does love even exist or is it merely something in stories and fairytales?

                I walked down the halls, followed by the guards and felt almost relieve I would probably be leaving soon. I didn’t know where to, or for how long, but I was glad that for once I could leave these prison walls behind and venture out into the real world.

 



© 2011 Phoenix Ashes


Author's Note

Phoenix Ashes
Please review

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
Added on February 20, 2011
Last Updated on February 20, 2011


Author

Phoenix Ashes
Phoenix Ashes

GA



About
My name is Brianna. I'm 16. I live in the United States, Georgia to be more specific. I get random bursts of ideas for stories quite frequently, so I love writing. I've been working on the same story .. more..

Writing
A Prison A Prison

A Chapter by Phoenix Ashes