So Small

So Small

A Poem by Christoph Poe

She tugged on my shirt,

A child of my kin,

And asked me on a black night

"Are stars people in heaven?"

The stars beamed.

"No," I started and stared.

"We are stars who died long ago.

We are the stars who died

And went to Heaven."

© 2013 Christoph Poe


Author's Note

Christoph Poe
So I changed some things up to attempt to make it move more smoothly. It seemed to attract a good bit of attention, so I made things a bit deeper and (I feel) more poetic and questionable. I understand some people get offended by the reality of science, so I apologize if this offends you, however, if you want an argument, you won't find it here.

Thanks for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This I poem is founded on a poetic interpretation of science, which makes it inherently interesting in my opinion. I think we forget (perhaps that's not the right word) that we were once part of a star. Also, I've been told that some Greek philosopher (it was probably Plato) thought that the night sky was a giant black sphere containing the world and sun and moon, and that stars were good souls who broke through it when they ascended. This poem reminded me of that.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Lovely vivid images presented simply and without adornement. Well structured and well thought out. I enjoyed this very much. In its simplicity you have chosen your words carefully. I particularly liked how the stars "beamed" almost as if in appreciation for the child's question.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Cetainly a good flow, the best out of your poems posted here. Simple easy to digest.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Star gazing has always been a place of wonderings...the unknown forms certain theories. Humans have to be proven, to see it before they believe. It's natural for us to question anything mystifying... For me, (this is only my perception) it's a deep pool of souls far away... "heaven" is a perfect word. Wonderfully written. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
I like that thought very much. Great read and wonderful write that you for sharing.
Oh and I love the imagery you used and the way the stars shine so bright and the innocent question asked by a child. Great job Christoph.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The fantasy we feed to children become the seeds of their imagination. This is a thoughtfully penned poem which oozes the very essence of fantasy, good job Christoph.

Posted 10 Years Ago


you know, i think that "heaven" is a great metaphor for existence- we exist because stars died. awesome writing. thank you for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


This surely had my mind thinking. I like the mystery as a poem never really answers a questions and leaves one to ponder. This is artistic and flows naturally. Good write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Great one man. excellence

Posted 10 Years Ago


Very nice, I got a cinematic experience from this poem. it took me a couple of reads to soak it up proper.
You can see your novel writing style in this piece.it is poetic, but the short dialogue is pure class.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Christoph Poe

10 Years Ago

I often times write poetry before I sit down to write my novel. :) So I suppose it all makes sense n.. read more
"Are stars people in heaven?", it is amazing how simple and brief some statements are and yet provoke the high devices of awe and nostalgia. This little poetic cognizance should stick with me whenever I engage my telescope. Great piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Christoph Poe

10 Years Ago

That specific question "are stars people in heaven?" came from my friends little girl. Of course, my.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

924 Views
39 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 8, 2013
Last Updated on July 9, 2013
Tags: Stars, star, night, sky, astronomy, dust

Author

Christoph Poe
Christoph Poe

Tuscaloosa , AL



About
(I got this!) My name is Christoph and I'm from backwoods Alabama. It's really boring here, but the scenery is always gorgeous! I can't complain because its probably this environment that's brough.. more..

Writing
RECOIL RECOIL

A Poem by Christoph Poe


Hallow Hallow

A Poem by Christoph Poe



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..