The Gentleman

The Gentleman

A Poem by Trevor Jay Bloodworth
"

Just a gentleman.

"

He sat in his chair and lit his brown pipe,

Cigarettes were just simply not his type.

He poured his most expensive and old scotch,

Leaned back and glanced at his father’s old watch.

He was a man from an age that had passed,

Holding on to things that never would last.


A man of fine taste in things such as art,


Romantic and keen, elegant and smart.


In keeping with history and lost ways,

A gentleman from all the great old days.

© 2013 Trevor Jay Bloodworth


Author's Note

Trevor Jay Bloodworth
Please point out any grammar or spelling errors. All criticisms welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

He sounds like a distinguished gentleman. A fine write. Well done! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

What I was going for ;) Thank you.
I didn't see any grammar or spelling errors. Besides if I did, I would have chalked it up to poetic license.

I enjoyed this. It's a throwback to a past era, perhaps with roots in the now? The gentleman embodies a different set of values, different past-times, etc. One really gets a sense of him as a "character."

Posted 10 Years Ago


and that's a true gentleman, well done:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


A lovely tribute to a true gentleman.

Well done, my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you kindly.
Technical errors are not an issue. I struggle with your journalistic approach, maybe you would like to employ writing tools such as metaphors or allusions.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

I could give it a try, sure. I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the tip.
A clever ode for what encompasses a true gentleman. Great work. A renaissance type of read. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much. Glad I could write something people enjoy reading.
A grand poem. A great tribute to your grandfather...:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Hahah. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)
No grammar or spelling errors. This is very well-written and rhymes beautifully. You have an excellent portrait of a real gentleman!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thank you. I was going for that lost art of manliness, and I wanted to capture a picture of a real g.. read more
Lovely portrait of an elegant and classy Grandfather.My own grandfather came from Europe to American in the early 1900's. I remember the photographs of him all dressed and attired just as you describe.
In fact, he willed me his gold cuff links to wear. Now all I have to do is get a shirt where I can wear them LOL! .I often love to watch Old English movies for this reason--there is a sense of respect I believe along with how they presented themselves---gold cuff links---gold watch--golden memories. Thanks my friend.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Very nice. I have some old scotch glassware that was my gift. Glad that you liked this.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam
Reminds me of the pictures my Great Grandparents used to show me. I love how you almost took a picture and froze it in time. Beautiful description and the words are great. I figure you were speaking of your Granddad or some one that you knew. Thank you so much for the read request. I enjoyed it greatly. A fine job Mr. Trevor a fine job.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Trevor Jay Bloodworth

10 Years Ago

Thanks for taking the time to read it Sam. Glad you enjoyed it.
Sam

10 Years Ago

I always enjoy your writing.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

650 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 3, 2013
Last Updated on August 6, 2013
Tags: man, manliness, gentlemen

Author

Trevor Jay Bloodworth
Trevor Jay Bloodworth

Bradford, TN



About
Just another guy. Nothing special. 22 years old. From Tennessee. I started writing as a hobby while on deployment. I love poetry and that's my art form. I'm heavily influenced by the poets of the Roma.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


No More... No More...

A Poem by DJ


Scumbag Scumbag

A Poem by s y e