When Darkness Falls....

When Darkness Falls....

A Poem by Yellow Butterfly
"

My brother has had this illness for most of his life.... it really does take a very special and patient person to understand the mind of a Schizophrenic..... MY MOTHER!!!

"



Shadows appear as dusk sets in not knowing what morning brings...
Conversations make no sense voices bellow when mobile phone rings...
Hears nothing yet trying to grasp as the voices inside the mind sings...
Irresponsible and uncontrollable behaviour unhinges unpleasant mood swings...
Zero knowledge cannot comprehend the torment in the mind...
Out of control unable to process why the human brain is this unkind...
Paranoia sets in walls close in searching and seeking cannot find...
Helpless cries lost in a world where a psychotic mind cannot rewind....
Rabid moods under the light of the full moon as the clouds creep...
Emotionless are the expressions yet the pain is real and the cut is deep...
No one can hear the silent cries nor see the vacant eyes that weep...
Irrational behaviour turning preposterous thoughts around a mind that can’t sleep...
Changing the way we view this illness may help to reduce their distress...


© 2021 Yellow Butterfly


Author's Note

Yellow Butterfly

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can’t imagine how it would feel to be delusional nor can I imagine how hard it would be for loved ones to cope and try to understand this illness. Unfortunately the mind is complicated and no one understands why these things happen. Maybe one day there will be a better way of treating this illness.

Posted 2 Years Ago


I am able to empathise with parts of this awful affliction as I am bipolar myself. Luckily, most of the time I feel fine but occasionally I have psychotic episodes which are very scary for myself and loved ones. All I can say is that medication works well for me and also family are there for me. Luckily I'm well 95 percent of the time.
Well done for sharing this.
All the best.
Alan



Posted 2 Years Ago


Dear YB, your acrostic describes to the reader with fine poetic expression, the turmoil inside the mind of a person suffering from schizophrenia, an awful mental health illness. I am so sorry that your brother has suffered so and you have rightly paid tribute to your mother in your notes for her patience and understanding. Most people have no idea at all, how debilitating life can be for anyone inflicted with this hell. They deserve far more understanding and thank you for raising awareness.

Chris



Posted 2 Years Ago


Nobody but nobody can step into the shoes of a schizophrenic. No matter the prognosis there can't be an answer to all the questions because they don't exist - at least, for now. There can never be enough understanding for such a tragedy.

Your writing is superb: it reaches extreme boundaries with empathy and - in places, touches of subtle poetry. ' Paranoia sets in walls close in searching and seeking cannot find... - Helpless cries lost in a world where a psychotic mind cannot rewind.... '

Posted 2 Years Ago


YB. I think you truely captured the torment of this most heart rendering affliction in your words and the style. I have only one little critisum-you use the word 'Sense' in two lines. I think it would read just a little better if you changed this. Thank you for requesting me to read your work.
take Care.
Will

Posted 10 Years Ago


Oh this was really well done. Until we open our eyes and minds to mental illness so many will suffer in their inner hells. This is an important poem for people to read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


The acrostic format was well chosen YB - each line spelling out the helplessness that those whose loved ones are afflicted nay imprisoned, feel. The disease imprisons the whole family in effect.
I pray for a paradigm shift in the way this and other mental health conditions are perceived/research funded/treated.

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really liked your rhythm and how your lines end. There is a temp that can be followed here. I like how you pushed words together:

"Conversations make no sense voices bellow when mobile phone rings..."

"Paranoia sets in walls close in searching and seeking cannot find..."

Allows the reader to tap into that stream-of-consciousness..

I thought that your last line broke out of the temp though, I visualized 12 lines with 3 sets of 4 lines and I thought that thirteenth line kinda broke the mold. Anyway, good stuff YB. =]

Posted 10 Years Ago


"No one can hear the silent cries nor see the vacant eyes that weep..."

WOW! This is very dark, intense, and haunting... sadly, we pen expressions of pain to get through the dark side...and you have done so in a profound way. Well done!~xoxo~


Posted 10 Years Ago


A short read with powerful words that force the reader to pause and digest all that was portrayed. I just found my first favorite.

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

703 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 14, 2013
Last Updated on July 17, 2021


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..