June 9, 1929

June 9, 1929

A Story by PoetryPenPal
"

This is a fictional diary entry written by a young, homeless girl during the depression.

"

     The hunger. It consumes me, and is satisfied only by doing so. My stomach growls at me like a mad dog. The Great Depression has hit, and there is nowhere to run. I sit at the table, waiting for food when there is none. The banks plummeted, leaving us with nothing but a shirt, pants and a cardboard box. Our future is unknown, but can only be gloomy. The only way to live right now is to die, leave the torture, the struggle to get by. All I can do is leave the world behind. As I die, I will say goodbye to the world, and during my last breath, I will hold my head up high, knowing I'm going to a better place. Today I will live by dying.

  

 

© 2014 PoetryPenPal


Author's Note

PoetryPenPal
Please enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is truly well written my little poetry pal.You have portrayed her plight very well:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!! I like making people feel how a person I'm trying to potray is feeling, or can .. read more
Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

Well done and you are welcome:)
Truly heartfelt. The impact of Great Depression on victims can be felt through your poem. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and this heartfelt review Praveeta!
Praveeta

10 Years Ago

My pleasure.
Very powerful piece for someone who did not live through this time period. The grammar Nazi in me wants to correct "Todaay" in the last line but other than that finds nothing to critique :)
Great job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Sorry about that Ms."Grammer Nazi!" (haha) but I was typing very fast. I promise I will get that fix.. read more
A very powerful final line. The entire piece speaks to the devastation that befell the entire population. You've written with a keen historical eye.

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I'm not a history fan, but if there is writing involved, count me in! Thank you.. read more
The intensity of your words in this one blows me away, my friend. Not sure if you went through the Depression, but you certainly are able to write from the perspective of someone who did. To know that you can only "live by dying"....monumentally sad, but understandable given the circumstances of the day. Excellent work...it shows you have compassion for those who came before you. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I wrote this at a summer camp, and we learned a little about the Great Depression.. read more
My Grandparent survived the depression. I was told by my Grandparent of people who worked together and survived the hard time. They had a good President. He create 3 million jobs. I like the Poets from this time. One of the Poets wrote. "Hard times make strong people." Your story was true for many. USA had bad and good days. We must overcome the bad days like our Grandparent today. I like the story. It reflex the world of today also. A lot of people with nothing or little. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Your welcome, and thank you for the wonderful review!
beautiful sentiment, although I really wish this girl didn't have to die

Posted 10 Years Ago


PoetryPenPal

10 Years Ago

Sorry about that, buy I bet a lot of people felt that way around that time. Thank you for reading an.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

428 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2014
Last Updated on January 8, 2014
Tags: PoetryPenPal, hunger, depression, death, dying, homeless

Author

PoetryPenPal
PoetryPenPal

Lost in my thoughts..., MI



About
Stuck in that awkward stage of waving goodbye to childhood and waiting for adulthood to envelope me. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..