The Dog

The Dog

A Story by William Propsner
"

Finding comfort in old things, empty spaces and a scared lost dog.

"

Beyond the cracked sidewalk, and the telephone pole with layers of flyers in a rainbow of colors, and the patch of dry brown grass there stood a ten-foot high concrete block wall, caked with dozens of coats of paint. There was a small shrine at the foot of it, with burnt out candles and dead flowers and a few soggy teddy bears. One word of graffiti filled the wall, red letters on a gold background: Rejoice!
The kid drove slowly past the makeshift shrine that he saw every day on his way to work in the mornings. He thought about the teddy bears and the meaning behind the word rejoice that was spray painted on the wall. He even thought about stopping someday to try to read some of the flyers that were posted on the pole. But he seemed to always be in a hurry and never stopped.
Jake Necco took enjoyment from his morning commute to his job on the hill overlooking his town. The road was lined with trees that covered the narrow road like a canopy. Every now and then Jake could spot a wild rose or a small animal trying to dodge traffic in getting to the other side. While driving he would tune the radio in his truck to a music station. It was a thirty minute drive from his cabin to his work so he had time to listen to his favorite music.
Today was no different than any other day. The drive was normal and uneventful. Halfway to work, Jake decided to stop at the small country store that was along the way. He knew the man that owned the store because at one time he was his history teacher in school until he retired. Besides, Jake felt that a cold soda pop would taste great when he took his lunch break .
Pulling into the store parking area, Jake saw an old pickup truck going back towards town. He didn’t recognize the truck but he did see a white dog riding in the bed of the truck. Jake hated it when people would have their dogs riding in the back of trucks untied. He was always afraid that something might spook the dogs and make them fall out. Today was no different except that Jake knew he was almost going to be late.
Walking into the store Jake saw his old teacher. “Morning Mr. Anderson! How are you this fine mornin?” Jake smiled as he greeted his old mentor.
“Goodness me, if it isn’t Jake Necco as I live and breath. Good for you to drop by this morning Jake. Last time you paid me a visit was a month ago. Did you stop liking my morning jokes? Or have you found another place to get your soda fix?” Mr. Anderson laughed as the two shook hands.
“Come on Mr. Anderson, you know that there is no other store along this old highway. And besides, where else am I going to get my daily joke and my cold soda at the same time? Jake walked over to the old ice box and took out a tall glass bottle of his favorite soda. Then he walked to the counter to pay. He waited for Mr. Anderson to tell his daily joke.
“Jake, got a good one for you. A snake walks into a bar...” he was cut off mid sentence.
“How does a snake walk into a bar Mr. Anderson?” Jake said sarcastically.
“You want to let me finish? You just ruined the punch line silly.”
The two laughed as Jake paid for his soda and left the store. “Bye Mr. Anderson, I'll drop by tomorrow. Have a better joke for me okay?” Jake waved to Mr. Anderson and got into his truck.
Jake pulled out of the store parking lot and was once again headed down the highway to work. Looking at his watch he saw that he had only a few minutes to get to his job. “Oh I’ve got plenty of time.” he said to himself. Then his mind drifted off thinking of the sight of the dog in the truck that passed by the store this morning. Jake was becoming angry thinking about it.
A few minutes later, Jake was pulling into the parking lot at his job. He was greeted by his co-worker Joe Walters. “Mornin Joe.” Jake waved as the two saw each other. “Mornin Jake. Ready for another boring day? And another dollar short?” Joe smiled as the two walked together toward the plant entrance. Inside the plant Jake began his day. He clocked himself in and waved to his foreman then went to his work station. There he found that it was already stocked with the empty boxes to be filled and his order cards. Jake saw down the line a large quantity of plastics that he will have to sort through. He realized that he will be working later than he planned unless the rest of the line works fast as he will.
By the end of the workday, Jake was tired and glad that he is not needed to work longer than he normally would. He filled his boxes and sorted more plastic than normal and managed to end the day a few minutes earlier than normal as well. Jake was happy. He clocked out at the time meter then walked out to his truck. He was ready to head home.
When Jake drove home, he drove slower because the sun was going down and it was getting dark. Most of the time when Jake left work, the daylight was already fading. It was a cooler drive home and a more relaxed drive home. Days like this are what Jake enjoyed most. No rush to get home, no heavy traffic like they had in the big cities.
Halfway home, Jake stopped again at the little country store to pick up something for his supper. Mr. Anderson sometimes had something cooked up for tired drivers. A burger or a hotdog or even some sausage. But Jake usually got one of the homemade pizzas that Mr. Anderson had heated up. Luckily for Jake, he could smell the pepperoni even before he entered the store. Mr. Anderson was not behind the counter but his hired clerk was. She always made Jake blush when she smiled at him. She was a lot younger than Jake so he knew he should mind his manners.
Jake paid for his pizza and large soda then got into his truck to finish his drive home. The pizza made his mouth water because it smelled so good. With one hand on the wheel of his truck, Jake reached into the box and tore off a small piece of his pizza to satisfy his hunger. He thought, “yes sir! Best pizza within fifty miles. I'll eat good tonight.”
After another mile Jake had to turn on his headlights. The darkness was closing in on his drive home. The road with all the trees providing shade seemed to make the darkness come sooner than it should if there were no trees over the highway. Jake still enjoyed the drive to and from work. Just driving on roads like this one was pleasant with the trees and few flowers.
Another few yards down the road and something caught Jake’s eye off to the side of the road. He thought maybe it might be another squirrel or rabbit trying to make it across the road. But the headlights shining in the animal’s eyes made Jake think that maybe it was not just a small furry creature. Jake put his foot on the brake pedal and turned his truck around and went back to where he saw the creature on the side of the road.
After pulling off the road at the spot, Jake grabbed a flashlight and stepped out of his truck. He turned on his flashlight and began to search the plants and weeds along the roadside. For a few minutes he thought maybe whatever it was it must have run off when he stopped his truck. Then he saw it. Just on the other side of a small bush.
There it was, a small white dog. It was hiding in the weeds. Lying down and licking a little blood off of its white fur. She had a tag that had her name on it, Rainbow. Jake knew it was the same dog that he saw in the back of the truck he saw on his way to work. He guessed that the dog must have jumped out of the truck while it passed a rabbit or maybe something frightened the dog. The kid became furious. He was more angry at himself for not chasing the truck down than he was at the owner of the dog.
Jake knelt down and petted the dog on her head. Calmly trying to comfort her. “It’s okay girl, it’s okay. Have no fear. I’ll take care of you.” he said in a calm voice. The dog looked up at Jake as he carefully lifted her and carried her to his truck. He opened the door and laid her on the floorboard of his truck. The kid had his old winter jacket on the floorboard so it is a soft place for her to lay. Jake saw that she had a cut on her upper leg. He knew he could take care of it for her. Then Jake finished his drive home.
When the ride ended, she was lifted again. The kid slid her body onto a soft pile of clothing among the boxes in the garage. He pulled an old coat over the top, creating a cave that emanated the sweetness of old ladies who frequently powdered themselves�"a light rose motif that played ironically well in the deep recesses of Rainbow’s ancestral brain. The pizza kid lifted her head to help her lap water from a hubcap. He broke bits of pepperoni and crust into bite-sized pieces and left them where her tongue could reach them. Much later, she heard him practicing his orations like songs. Like monks chanting in the distance, they were a comfort.




© 2023 William Propsner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on September 24, 2023
Last Updated on September 24, 2023
Tags: Kindness, mystery, home

Author

William Propsner
William Propsner

Artesia, NM



About
Finally became a published author. Live in Artesia, New Mexico USA Navy Veteran 1971 - 1977 more..

Writing