Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Melina A. Cambree
"

11 years ago

"

“Daddy, don’t go! I’ll be better I promise!” screamed 6 year old Tanner as his dad walked down the driveway. “Daddy! Come back, I promise I’ll be a good boy!”
   Tanner’s dad turned and looked into his son’s tear filled eyes. “That won’t change anything Koda…I have to go, but I’ll be back. Remember? I promised you I was gonna take you to your first baseball game…you and Bug. I still have to do that.” And with that he smiled and mused his son’s dark hair, for the last time.
  
Ah, boy…you ain’t gonna make it back. Tanner looked all around, but he couldn’t see his grandfather anywhere. What are you lookin at son? Ain’t you ever listened to me befores?
   Tanner didn’t know what to do…he knew his grandfather had died two months ago, he’d gone to the funeral and everything. Grandpa? Where are you? Koda asked as he spun around in circles.
  
Boy, you’re not gonna be able to see me…just talk to me. I’ll always be here for ya to talk ta. You’re gonna need someone here for ya real soon.

 2 months later

   “No!” Tanner heard his mother scream. “It can’t be true! Not my Luke, he couldn’t have died.” Tanner came out of his room just in time to see his mom collapse in tears. He ran over and through his tiny arms around her.
   “What’s wrong momma?”
   Koda’s mom hugged him so tight he thought he might turn blue, “your daddy isn’t coming home, Sweetheart.” He couldn’t understand…Daddy promised that he’d come home and take him and Bug to a baseball game. He had to come home. “Honey, your daddy went to go with Grandpa Lucky. He’s…gone now.”
   That’s the day that Tanner put behind his childhood and decided that his mom would never cry again. He went to his room, picked up his toys, and put them in his closet. He made his bed, fixed his bookshelves, and sat down and just stared at the wall. He never shed a tear for the loss of his father.
   Good God…what has happened to this child? His grandfather whispered.



© 2010 Melina A. Cambree


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on March 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 5, 2010


Author

Melina A. Cambree
Melina A. Cambree

TN



About
"Poetry is the rhythmical creation of beauty in words." ~ Edgar Allan Poe RaeLynn's Playlist Duke's Playlist Becca's Playlist Tanner's Playli.. more..

Writing