Battle of the Generations

Battle of the Generations

A Chapter by Caitlyn
"

A topic that's been repetedly brought up with many people I know, I wish to build off and elaborate more on this topic later.

"

This generation wallows in self pitty because our parents shelter us from the real world until we're older because they're too paranoid. So we complain because we're not eased into it, just kinda thrown out there.

I've always loved and hated talking about how different the generation today is being raised compared to yesterdays generation. Yesterday's generation was raised much more lenient than this one, where people were still allowed to learn from mistakes and had more freedom (as well as responsibility). Today's generation is raised sheltered and ignorent, with much less freedom and much less responsibility. No wonder America is quickly become the stupidest nation.

I know various people that always complain about how all the music from this generation is whiney and revolves around self pity. This may be because our parents keep us sheltered and to themselves for so long that when we get out and socialize and suffer some of the hardships that are always included in life, we instantly crave attention and for someone to fix it for us because thats how this generation has been treated for so long. Mommy and Daddy are always there to make it better. Therefore, the people who write the music either feel that way because they were treated like that themselves, they were brainwashed by it since its everywhere in society, or they know that this is how this particular generation works and they want to make a hit.

Not only this, but I've asked many adults what the point of high school was. My two answers that I received were that it was because high schoolers are teens and they're on a different maturity level than the younger kids (I personally don't see a change in maturity, but I do see a change in size and how a teen could potentially kill a kid in a fight. -.-'): the other answer was that we were supposed to learn how to be responsible for our own grades because we need to start succeeding for ourselves, not just because other people tell us to. With websites that teachers update and parents can check 24/7 so that they can make sure their kid is doing everything and if they miss something they can make them do it and turn it in late, it doesn't seem like this is going to happen any time soon. At all. Ever for that matter. Unless said kid is smart enough (which some are).

What I really dislike about the ways this generation is being raised is that they aren't allowed to make mistakes. The best way to learn is from your mistakes and yet parents are so paranoid that they won't even let us do that. And again, no wonder America is quickly becoming the stupidest nation.

If you tried explaining this to someone raised in the last generation (who is rational) they will most definatly agree. Which is, quite frankly, increadibly ironic since it's them who this generation is being raised by.



© 2008 Caitlyn


Author's Note

Caitlyn
If anything doesn't seem to make sense and you are curious as to what I mean, feel free to ask. I'd also love to hear what other people have to say.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

cool. i like it

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
1 Review
Added on August 8, 2008


Author

Caitlyn
Caitlyn

Huntington Beach, CA



About
People always tell me I have a lot of things going for me, I just realized that they may be right. Loving to get constructive criticism and comments, My mind is always open to other views. more..

Writing
Thomas & Cassidy Thomas & Cassidy

A Chapter by Caitlyn