Friendship Bracelets

Friendship Bracelets

A Chapter by Rachel Elizabeth
"

In a bewildering and treachorous enviroment, four exceptional girls lived in their own worlds. And the fate of what goes on between these girls is the fate of how they'll figure out how to save one of their own.

"

We were four girls. Just four freakish girls who only liked to associate with each other and the occasional freak. Just four girls who weren't especially accepted in today's modern society. Just four girls trying to find their indentities in unforgiving and cold enviroments.

We were all very different from each other. But those differences brought us together to show us our similarities. We truly believed that nothing could harm us. And within believing that, we put such a strain on our reality that in one instance it could've been broken.

And in one istance... it was.

"Hey, whatcha writing?" Kaila peered over my shoulder at the yellow notebook decorated with Hello Kitty stickers and rainbows. "Eloise is a writin' a lovey letter again!!" She ripped out the page I'd just been working on and scanned it. I watched as her pale blue eyes moved back and forth at the small print.

"What is it Kai?" asked Amelia, the intelligent one, looking up from her book based upon true stories of murders and witches and nonsense.

"Uh... It's, well," she stammered. "I'm not sure. What is it Eloise?"

"It's writing. You know? The words that people write down when they're bored," I said sarcastically.

"I want to read!!" shouted Maddie in her ever-so-hyper, high pitched voice. It seemed that no matter what, nothing could break through her barrier of sunshine.

Amelia snatched the paper away from Kaila and skimmed through it, too, making bizarre faces as she passed it to Maddie, who smiled as she read it. "It's good Eloise. You should write more."

"Why," said Kaila. "It's kind of creepy."

"Yeah," retorted Amelia. "Should we be scared Eloise?"

"Scared of what?" I asked, somewhat annoyed.

"You know.." Amelia replied, coyly. "...suicide?"

"What! No! I'm not going to commit suicide!" I shouted.

Before any one of them could reply, I snagged the paper back and briskly walked away. I wasn't about to face them after they unexpectedly decided to read my own personal journal page.

As I kept walking, unsure of where I was really going, I stumbled upon an out of place flea market. It wasn't the time of year you'd normally see the flea market, like Labor Day or the Fourth of July, but just a normal chilly Ocotober Friday afternoon. The vendors were among the average ones: glass and ceramics, books and videos, clothes and toys, etc., etc.

But one stood out among the rest. Black and purple curtains made up an upside down V-shaped doorway into a dark lit and misty tent. The vendor behind the tables looked to be either a gyspy, a Wiccan, or some other form of a supernatural believer. She wore a short black dress, cropped around the edges and cinched at the waist with a purple corset. The long red locks that flowed behind her, all the way to the small of her back, seemed to bounce as she nodded her head speaking with a costumer. In my opinion, she seemed to be the most interesting woman I'd seen in years.

The items she was selling ranged between body jewlery to tarrot cards to incense. I walked through the entire tent and discovered several things to my likings. Though I didn't have the correct piercings for most of the body jewelry and I didn't know how to read tarrot cards, nor was I willing to learn, I still imagined what it'd be like to actually be like this woman. 

I was almost out of the tent when I noticed a board on the tent wall, several braided bracelets hanging by hooks with the sign "FRIENDSHIP BRACELETS: 4 FOR $5" on the board. I examined all of them closely. There were four that stood out distintively to me. One was a bright orange color that would stand out in any crowd: Amelia's favorite. Another was lime green and black with a peace sign: Kaila's favorite. The third one was a variety of purples, blues, pinks, oranges, yellows, and greens: perfect for Maddie's upbeat personality. And the final one was blue and black. Just blue and black with a tiny spoltch of red in the center. This one would be mine.

I gathered all the bracelets together and brought them up to the counter. The woman smiled and her shiny crimson curls bounced playfully again. I smiled and handed her a ten dollar bill. I didn't accept the change; just took my bracelets and left.

When Monday morning rolled around and we were all circled together in our regular morning meeting spot, I gave them all their bracelets. Amelia and Kaila stared at me stangely. Maddie just smiled and tied hers around her wrists, muttering a "Thank you" between a frustrated grunt.

"What are these for?" Amelia asked.

"To remember me."

 



© 2009 Rachel Elizabeth


Author's Note

Rachel Elizabeth
So I came up with this on the spot beacuse of something I've been thinking of. Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on October 4, 2009


Author

Rachel Elizabeth
Rachel Elizabeth

Nowhere and Now , IN



About
* o b s e s s e d with k i t t e h s * s i x t e e n years o l d * o d d * e n j o y s indie m u s i c * plays g u i t a r more..

Writing