Chapter 10: When in Rome...

Chapter 10: When in Rome...

A Chapter by Rachel

 

As I boarded yet another plane, I thought of home, and about how lonely Thrasher must be. I shook my head and sat down in my seat, noticing that, in the nearly full plane, there were three people whose eyes kept wandering back to me. I checked my eyes in the window. No, they were normal. I shook my head. It had never been like that in any of the Amtrak stations. I was about to pull out my cell when the intercom came on saying that we were readying for takeoff and the ‘no cell phones’ light lit up. I swiftly put my phone away and began feigning nervousness, like I’d never been on a plane before. I fumbled with my seat belt, looked back and forth, even cringed as we pulled off. Still they looked, not even confused by my sudden nervousness. I stopped as soon as it was clear I was doing nothing to throw them off. I stared at the cell phone light, waiting for it to go off.
The moment it did I heard several people flip on their cells and resume the conversations they’d started before the light. I casually pulled out my cell and dialed Julie’s number. I counted the rings, hoping she would answer. One…two…three…four…five…six…seven…There was a small click before I heard, “Hey, this is Julie.” I sighed and was about to talk when it continued, “This is my voicemail, so I must be otherwise indisposed at the moment. Leave me a message.” Beeeeeeep.
“D****t.” I say as I flick it shut. I could’ve sworn I heard a snicker. What had happened to Julie? Was it them? It must have been them… I shook it off and put the headphones of my mp3 player in my ear. Julie was a big girl, and she could take care of herself.
As the flight went on, I forgot about the trio of supposed spies. Time went on in a warp.
 
 
I looked up quickly when I felt the jar of the landing in the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport, the Aeroporto Leonardo Da Vinci. I would drive myself in a rental ‘90 Camero to Roma, looking for an elite group of vampire’s I’d looked up in my room before I went to sleep in London. I stretched before moving to the exit of the plane. I walked out of the plane feeling refreshed. I moved through the airport with Fake It by Seether playing in my ears. The chorus, “Fake it, if you don’t belong here!” seemed to match my mission. The song changed as I stepped out of the airport and saw the rental. It was black and silver, with a T-top. I walked the long way to the car, the song and the car soothing my cares away for the moment. I caressed it as I passed, and pulled out the key they’d given me at the desk on my way out. I sat down in the bucket seats with a sigh of relief. I pulled the headphones out of the jack and plugged it into the car radio. The song was ending as I drove out of the parking lot towards Roma.
“I know you’re feeling that you’re lost, you feel you’ve drifted way too far, did you know the colors that you’re shining out!”
 
 
As I neared the center of the city of Roma, I noticed a car that never passed me, never got very close, but seemed to be purposely staying near me. As the cars around me passed at an increasing speed, the black sedan stuck out more and more. I saw my exit, and turned off, amused when the other car followed. I kept my eye out for a good place to lose them on my GPS. I saw a quick turn around and took it, parking at the same time. I drove around a corner and into a parking garage, quickly paying the person at the booth and continuing into the darkness. I parked between two similar looking cars and prayed that no one in that sedan knew a thing about cars. Fat chance, but it was a hope none the less. I walked out of the garage in the shadows of an alley, laughing as I saw the sedan drive straight past me…and into the garage. I stopped laughing and ran into a nearby coffee shop. I smiled at the clerk who was looking at me like I was a chocolate bar, which was kinda creepy. I ducked into the bathroom and changed into my emo gear, which would hide me for a while.
As I exited the bathroom, I got strange looks, which I was used to, but they didn’t feel the same. The clerk looked confused as I smiled and ordered a large Mocha. As I was waiting, I noticed a sign above the counter. It said Antico Caffe’ Greco SRL. As the clerk gave me my order, I noticed that he had a very strange look on his face, so I turned and walked out. I was smiling, happy, until I noticed something.
It was spring in Italy, and I was the only Punk on the street. I was the only emo kid…which meant I stuck out like a sore thumb. I squeaked and ducked into an alley to people watch. Everyone was wearing pastels and white, looking very chic, and all together dressed up. I took a look down at my ensemble of black, and thought of the clothes I’d packed. I had nothing that wouldn’t stand out. I looked out of my alley and spied a department store. I quickly ran to it, hoping to fix my dilemma. As I entered, I gratefully noticed that I was the only customer. I sighed as an employee approached.
“Excuse me, Signorina, are you lost?” He asked with more than a hint of disgust and confusion.
“No, sir,” I say as I pull my trench-coat and beanie off and stuff them into my bag. “I would like your help.” I smiled at him brightly, “You see, it seems I’m not properly dressed for Italy in her spring dress.” His face was closed, wary.
“But can Signorina pay for this help, hmm?” He said it with the air of knowing that I couldn’t. He knew nothing. Knowing in advance this would happen, I had pulled out my wallet and taken a large bundle of hundreds out of it. I didn’t like not having cash when I needed it. I started fanning myself with it, much to the surprise of the employee.
“I’m quite sure Signorina can.” I said with a smile.
“In that case, Signorina, it would be my pleasure to rid the streets of Roma of such trash.” He smiled at me and winked to show me he was joking with me. “I’m sorry we started off so roughly, but it’s not often that I see someone like you. Let me introduce myself.” He bowed with a flourish, taking my hand, “I am Alessandro.”
I smiled, “It’s nice to meet you, Alessandro. My name’s Akira. Although…most of my friends here in Italy call me Fiamma.”
He smiled and raised one eyebrow, “A little Flame are you? Certainly we must make your appearance match your name! Come. Let us begin the transformation. Guido!” A man with a light build suddenly popped up behind Alessandro.
“Sì Signore.” He spoke quickly, as if used to being told that slowness was equal to idiocy.
“Unlock the dressing rooms and tell everyone I’m not to be disturbed,” He said without looking at Guido. “We have a lot of work to do.” We both laughed as Guido ran off to do what he was told.
I bowed slightly, “After you.” I smiled.
“Yes, after me. Your taste might be catching.” He laughed.
So began the shopping spree of my life.
 
 
“Oh, Fiamma, è magnifico!” Alessandro, who spoke flawless Italian, but was really from the states, had found a silk dress almost the same color as my hair. After three hours, we were finally done, and I’d spent quite a bit of money. This had no effect on Alessandro, however, who always said what he thought. No matter the situation. Actually, we had found that we quite enjoyed each other’s company.
I looked at myself in the mirror, awestruck. Did I really look like that? I put my hand to the mirror, amazed at the figure that copied my every movement. The scarlet silk held tight to her skin, showing every sloping curve, her hair was scraped back into a loose bun, curls escaping the intricate jeweled clip that was holding them back. Her amber eyes shown like fire from beneath thick, feathery lashes. This woman behind the glass couldn’t be me. She couldn’t be the awkward girl searching for Dracula in her spare time.
And yet, unbelievably, it was. There was no mistaking that mouth, the wildness in the eyes that betrayed me for what I was.
“Where did you find this, Sandy?” I asked incredulously as I turned. I was getting stares of a very different kind now. “This will definitely stand out…”
He smiled. “Oh, just lying around on that rack over there.” He said very nonchalantly, “It definitely doesn’t say spring, but if I had known it would look like this on you I would have picked it up first. It’s even better than your green one, Tesoro.”
“It is.” I was still awed. I shook myself off and smiled.
“Don’t you have some where to be?” He said with a twinkle in his eyes that told me he was teasing me again, “I’m growing quite tired of teaching you how to dress yourself.”
“Well, I wouldn’t want to impose,” I rolled my eyes. “Like you didn’t enjoy it.”
“True, but it’s also true that you have a mission to be working on.”
“It’s not like they’re going anywhere.” I said as I walked into the dressing rooms. I closed the door.
“No, but if they know you’re here, they may make their defenses better.” Alessandro observed from outside the door.
“Maybe. But I can’t leave here in what I came in. That just wouldn’t be conducive to my spying.” I reminded him as I slipped on something more conservative. I exited in a flowing white summer dress, the silk one carefully folded over my arm. I handed him the tag off of the dress. “Well, if you’re so ready to get rid of me, let’s get this checking out business over with.” I grumbled, knowing I wouldn’t like the price, even though I could afford it. Sandy sighed and moved to the register. After several moments of awkward silence, Alessandro spoke.
“What I want to know is how you’re going to take all of this,” he pointed to the rather large pile in front of him, “with you. And how I’m going to live without you here to liven up the place.”
“I’ll show you when you’re done.” I said with a smile, “And is that a bit of emotional attachment I hear? I’m touched.”
“Attachment? Pshaw, no, what you hear is boredom. This place is as plain as it gets. Rich snobs coming in and out, commanding me about. You relieved the boredom. You may have money and fame, but you’re also just you.” He was only halfway through the pile, though he had been scanning at a rate that I couldn’t comprehend. He obviously wasn’t kidding about the boredom thing.
“Really?” I say with a smirk, crossing my arms in front of me, “So if I left right now, you wouldn’t feel sad?”
“Nope,” He said brightly, “I might have to call you in for not paying for that dress though.” We both laughed.
“Don’t worry, I’ll come visit every once in a while.”
“You just make sure to bring that boyfriend you brag about so much so that I can see him. Can’t have my friends running around with substandard boyfriends. What would my community say about me if I let that go?” He looked at me with innocent eyes.
“Don’t act like you’re so innocent, Sandy.”
“Oh, I know I’m not innocent. In all reality I just want to check out your eye-candy.” He winked at me. I giggled maniacally.
“Like you don’t have enough of that around here.”
“True,” he said as he was putting the last skirt into the bags. “But now you get to show me how you’re getting all of this out of here.” I smiled and winked at him.
“Okay.” I took three bags and stuffed them into my small purse. As soon as one bag was in there, there was room for another. After I had it all in the bag, I handed it to him, smiling mischievously. He looked reluctant, but took it from me. He looked shocked.
“It’s so light!” He opened it up and looked inside. I knew that he wouldn’t see anything but the jean at the “bottom”. “Where’d it all go?!” He looked at me, “You got some ‘splainin’ to do.”
“It’s magic.” I said with a grin. “Can you come up with a better explanation?” I asked when I saw his skepticism. “Do I have to pull a rabbit out of it?”
“No, no Fiamma, I believe you.” He said fervently, handing it back. He tried to smile, but only succeeded in a grimace, “You’re more of a fairy that I am.”
“Wings and all,” I joked, relishing the upper hand. I put the bag back on my shoulders where it belonged. I came up to him and said good bye in the proper Italian fashion, air kisses starting from the left. “Stay cool. Okay, Sandy?”
“Much cooler than you, my friend.” He said with a startled smile. “Now,” He exclaimed as he straightened up, “Shoo, I have work to do.” I smiled, rolling my eyes as I walked out the door. I turned around at the door and waved before walking towards my destination.


© 2009 Rachel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
Added on March 15, 2009
Last Updated on May 6, 2009


Author

Rachel
Rachel

Ratcliff, AR



About
Well, I'm ever so slightly insane, to start with. In my opinion, insanity is a necessity for any artist, be they writer, singer, player, or doodle-bug. I love to write, though I often get stuck, and l.. more..

Writing