Discovery

Discovery

A Chapter by iheart5
"

Aeralia learns that like her father, she too has magic running through her blood.

"

          January 1st

Today, I, the Princess of Aestarlin, the Land of the Midnight Sun, am 16 years old.  I am residing in my bedchambers in our palace, Castle Elyorn.  My father is a magician and the King Agrenvr Dovmir.  He is a magician of great power and a good king, but our land always seems to be on the brink of war.  This is probably because my mother, Astaria, is from a rival kingdom, Carnehi.  She and my father fell in love many years ago, and she ran away from her parents to marry Father. If she and Dad had waited for a blessing, our countries would be joined in peace, but they couldn’t wait.  Mother’s parents, my grandparents never really got over it. 

I suppose I should say something about myself.  I am the first child of my parents, and thus the heir to the Crown.  As for my appearance, I have my father’s eyes, though his are grey and mine are pale green mixed with traces of blue.  My nose is straight, and my teeth are good.  My hair is dark red, more auburn than anything else.  I wear it long; it reaches to my waist.  Except at formal events, I tie it in a ponytail or in a tight braid.  I am tall enough for my sixteen years, about five feet and seven inches.  My figure is fine; I am not as big as some women at court, but as I have no husband of yet and am still a virgin, I am not much concerned.  I am quite slender, but those who underestimate my strength will regret it.

 

            I looked up from my diary, startled, as my cat, Lynya, jumped onto my desk.  I smiled.  “Hello, Lynya, sweetheart.  How are you today?”

            Lynya purred, her pure white body vibrating.  I stroked her silky fur.  Someone knocked on the door, calling, “Princess Aeralia!  Princess Aeralia!” 

            “What is it?”  I asked, a little irritably. 

            “Milady, it’s Nell.  Your father would like to see you.” 

            “Oh,” I said, “Oh.”  I made sure I looked respectable and swept regally out of my bedchamber.

            Nell, my lady in waiting, followed me as I walked swiftly down the corridors to my father’s conference room.  We arrived at the large double doors and I knocked.           “Come in,” my father answered.  I went in and curtsied to my parents, who were both there.  Standing next to my father was a tall man with long silvery-blonde hair and emerald green eyes.  I had never seen him before.  He was unreal, too beautiful to be a human.  Maybe he was an elf…  Father had elven friends, though I had never met an elf.  Then I remembered myself; I was, after all, in my father’s presence.  I turned my attention to them.  Mom smiled at me reassuringly, and I immediately felt much better.  Dad, too, looked pleased, so I wasn’t so worried.

            “Daughter, I am aware that you are an accomplished rider and archer.  I know also that you are quite adept at swordsmanship.  You are well educated, and everything a young lady should be.” 

            I felt a pleasurable tingle spread through my body.  It was true.  Although I could sew and embroider, I much preferred riding my stallion, Alonwyn, and shooting targets with my longbow.  I had been trained in swordsmanship for so long, it was almost second nature.  My father’s next words, however, made my heart skip a beat. 

            “Now, it has furthermore been shown that you have magic in your blood.” 

            I wasn’t sure how to feel.  Excited, nervous, scared, and glad were just a small fraction of what I was feeling. 

            He continued, “You will begin your studies in magic tomorrow.”

            I curtsied and murmured, “Thank you, Father.  I hope to do you proud.” 

            I wondered vaguely if Dad was going to introduce the tall man with green eyes to me.  I wasn’t disappointed.  Dad gestured to the man and he stepped forward.  As he did, his hair moved and I saw the delicately pointed ears.  He was an elf!

            “Aeralia,” Dad announced, “This is Dest’rei, your new teacher.  He is a very good mage; mind what he says.  Obey him as you would obey me.” 

            Dest’rei nodded at me.  I wondered that he didn’t bow, but maybe he didn’t know that humans bowed…  With that, Dad dismissed me.

             I ran gracefully out of the room, as dignified as I could manage at the moment.  Nell was waiting for me and scolded me for running out of the room.  “Milady, you should not run out like a vagabond!” 

            I was too excited to heed her.  “Oh, Nell, I have the most wonderful news.  I have magic in my blood, and I am going to begin training tomorrow!” 

            Nell looked as if she had swallowed a cockroach.  “You’ll become a no good hooligan magician, if you’ll pardon me saying so, Princess.  Excuse me; I am out of my place.  My congratulations.” 

            I frowned, replying, “You don’t seem pleased.” 

            She grimaced.  “The only good magician I’ve known is your father.  The others are all rats.” 

            I glared at her and walked briskly to my bedchambers.

 



© 2008 iheart5


Author's Note

iheart5
Constructive criticism and compliments gladly accepted!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

thanks for leaving me a comment on Y/A your stuff is really good keep it up :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 11, 2008


Author

iheart5
iheart5

You don't need to know where I live...



About
Hey, everybody! Well, I'm not going to put too much personal info out there... But here you go. I love to read, write, and watch baseball and football. I love Madeleine L'engle's books, Harry Potte.. more..

Writing
Lynya's Wisdom Lynya's Wisdom

A Chapter by iheart5


Assassin Assassin

A Chapter by iheart5