Time

Time

A Chapter by iheart5
"

Ali fully realizes the urgency of their situation.

"

We were now on the very edge of the forest.  Stopping for the night, Dest’rei told us that the nearest town was about half a day’s walk from our current position.  Incidentally, the town was famous for its horse fairs. 

            “But we don’t have money,” Aris pointed out, still a little subdued from the assassin’s information.

            Pretending to be exasperated with us, my teacher pulled out a bag of money.  “You two didn’t honestly think the King would send me to you without money?” 

            I couldn’t help a small smile from breaking out: Dest’rei always had an answer.

            Aris smiled a little too, before settling down on the ground.  “You could teach some more,” he pointed out. 

            Dest’rei beamed at him, “You enjoy it too.” 

            “Do not,” Aris mumbled, but a white flash flared around him and I laughed at him freely. 

            “Liar,” I teased.  Lynya looked at me, saying, I’m glad you trust them now.  It makes you looser, more relaxed. 

            I shrugged at her, smiling shyly at Dest’rei.  “You really could teach.  I like it.”    His green eyes were pleased as he agreed, but there was something else in them too.  Apprehension, uneasiness; they were both there.  Maybe even fear.

            “Since you were born, there haven’t been any major problems.  Our relations with Carnehi are still strained, at best, but I suppose you know all that.  Then, just recently, there have been…Rumors.  Rumors of a conspiracy against the King.  I don’t know if Aris has mentioned it, but the Wolf Division specializes in spying and scouting.  Because of this, I sent Aris and Xan to…the source of the rumors.  I sent them because I trusted them, and because they are the best at what they do.  I regret not going with them, but at the time, I was occupied with other matters.  I was right to trust them, for Aris has found out the information the King so desperately needs.  And yet, I was wrong to send them alone, without backup.”

            Aris interrupted at this point, “No.  We knew the risks.  We knew what was at stake.  If it was anyone’s fault, it was ours.  We were arrogant; so sure that we could come through unscathed.  But we couldn’t.”  By the end of this outburst, his voice was quiet and bitter.  Sharp.  I didn’t know what to say.  I could well guess what was coming next, and I was right. 

            “Look, I’m glad I met you, Ali.  And it was good to see you, Rei.  But  I think I need to go back to Elsarin and the Baron.  Time is running out, Rei!  You can’t tell me it isn’t.  The clock is ticking, and when the time comes, all hell will break loose.  It is a time bomb.  The King will need you by his side.  You too, Ali.  But me?  I can go back to Elsarin.  Xan’s clock runs quicker than the kingdom’s.  Aestarlin has at least another year.  I don’t even know if Xan has a day!” 

            I gulped.  I didn’t know what he was talking about; at least, I didn’t know the details. 

            I had gathered that Baron Garrick was plotting to overthrow my father.  Maybe there would be a small rebellion.  But from what Aris was saying, this was a much bigger deal than I had thought.  But Elsarin was a small fief; entitled to fifty men-at-arms and a hundred civilian soldiers.  How could such a small number hope to make a dent in our Royal Army, or even my father’s personal guard, The King’s Guard? 

            Think, Ali, think!  You should have realized it long ago!  Lynya’s voice cut through my mind.  Then I realized what I had been missing all along.

            Elsarin Fief bordered Carnehi.  It would not be difficult to get through the border.  I felt sick as I thought it out.  Charming as he was, Baron Garrick would have made a deal with the King and Queen.  I don’t know what they might want, but the possibilities were endless.  So say the terms were reached; now Garrick had an extremely large army at his back, as well as his own men.  He would be quite capable of taking Aestarlin on, for though we were fairly strong, we were smaller than Carnehi.  I groaned aloud.             Lynya’s green eyes narrowed, So now you see.  It took long enough.  What will you do?  

            I glanced at my teacher, who was mulling over what Aris had said.  Finally, Dest’rei admitted, “There is sense in what you say.  But I don’t want you to go alone.  Maybe I’ll come with you.” 

            I gritted my teeth.  I knew what was coming.  Sure enough, Dest’rei said to me a little hesitantly, “What do you say?  We go to the horse fair, get ourselves some horses.  You can ride to your father with word of the uprising…” 

            I shook my head.  “No,” I said flatly.  “I will not leave like some weak, feeble, princess so you can go off and get killed.  I promised Aris that I would help and I will, if it’s the last thing I do!  I don’t care what either of you say.  I will follow you until the world’s end!  I won’t go to Father.  You can send a messenger.”  My fists were clenched and my mouth was firm. 

            Aris opened his mouth, pleading, “Please, Ali.  It’s…dangerous.”  His eyes were a soft, pale grey, silver, almost. 

            I glared at him, retorting, “Exactly!” 

            We both turned to Dest’rei, demanding, “Well?” in unison.  It would have made me laugh in any other situation.  He probably would have laughed too, but neither of us was in any mood to be laughing at the moment. 

            The elf studied both of us for an instant that lasted a lifetime.  His startling green eyes were grave.  At last, he turned to Aris and told him, “We aren’t so well off that we can refuse offered help.”  Aris’ eyes turned cold and icy, but he didn’t argue.  I relaxed.  Aris would be fine after a night’s sleep.  Still, I wanted to show I wasn’t angry at him, so I said, “I’ll take first watch.” 

            He muttered, “Fine,” and stalked off to his bedroll.  Apparently I wasn’t going to be forgiven so easily. 

            Dest’rei put his hand on my shoulder for a fleeting moment, then whispered, “It’s only because he cares.  Tomorrow we’ll test your magical abilities.”  I half-smiled at him gratefully.  Those astounding emerald green eyes lingered on me for a second before the elf headed toward his bedroll as well. 

            I sighed, standing, and scanned the area for a good spot for me to sit and watch.  Still being near the edge of the forest, there were plenty of well-concealed areas.  I selected a spot between a small boulder and a bush and settled down.  A white shape came towards me, leaping onto my lap.

            With the peaceful sounds of the forest surrounding me, I allowed myself to relax a bit and think about my situation.  To my credit, I thought I was doing pretty well with the whole, ‘take things as they come and take one step at a time’.  My father always said my ability to improvise and work around obstacles was one of my greatest strengths.  And to Lynya’s credit, she had been absolutely right about finding an adventure.  What was it that she had said?  More often than not, people don’t find adventures, adventures find people.’  That was so true.  Of course, I might have bitten off more than I could chew.  I mean, I was barely sixteen, and here I was, preparing to attempt a crazy rescue mission-for someone I didn’t know.  As if that weren’t enough, the guy holding Xan captive was also planning to destroy my father, and the kingdom.  And he had help from a country that was three times as large as us.  The leaders of this country just happened to despise my father.

            I sighed.  At least I had help.  My eyes found Aris and Dest’rei, both sound asleep.  I had come to trust them so quickly!  I was almost annoyed at myself for accepting their companionship so easily.  I knew perfectly well that I wasn’t supposed to trust random people off the road.  Well, Dest’rei had been sent to me.  But Aris.  Even before I found out who he was, I was willing to free him from Garrick’s clutches and befriend him.  Still, you would think after years of my teacher pounding ‘Trust no one until they have proved themselves worthy” into my head, I would at least remember that lesson.  However, it had only occurred to me just now.  Circumstances change, I thought.  I could do worse in choosing friends. 

            Lynya shifted on my lap, cracking one eye open, Mistress, believe in yourself.  Be confident.  Trust your instincts. 

            I replied, I wish you wouldn’t read my mind. 

            She seemed surprised as she answered, I didn’t.  I read your emotions.  There’s a difference. 

            I raised an eyebrow. 

            She explained, I don’t ever go into your mind, except to speak.  So I only get glimpses.  I read emotions.  Right now, you were radiating self-doubt.  That’s dangerous.  Self-doubt has destroyed entire kingdoms. 

            I contemplated that little piece of information, then acknowledged, All right, so I was getting worried for a second.  I’d say that’s reasonable, considering our current situation! 

            Turning away, Lynya admitted, Yes, there is some concern about the upcoming events among we familiars.  We can mindtalk, and they’re all envious of me.  I get to witness everything firsthand.  But yes, we are slightly uneasy, because the events within the next decade or so will affect things for years to come. 

            I bit my lip, demanding anxiously, What do you mean?

            She looked pretty reluctant to say anything.  I waited for a few minutes.             Presently, she said, The balance is shifted.  Aestarlin, and all the surrounding lands, have reached a crossroads, if you will.  Well, not as much a crossroads as a turning point.  We are one choice away from disaster.  Yet, if the right decisions are made, Aestarlin will be saved.  And I can sense that much fate lies on you and your friends.  You see, you are the slightest bit of weight that will tip the scale one way or another.  And time goes ever on.  Aris said that time was running out, and he is right.  The clock ticks away, and soon peace will only be a memory.  We are about to be thrown into the war of all wars.  Time is our greatest ally, and our most formidable enemy.

 



© 2008 iheart5


Author's Note

iheart5
Constructive criticism and compliments gladly accepted. (I'm getting tired of typing that. Can we just assume that I said that for the next chapters?)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on July 11, 2008


Author

iheart5
iheart5

You don't need to know where I live...



About
Hey, everybody! Well, I'm not going to put too much personal info out there... But here you go. I love to read, write, and watch baseball and football. I love Madeleine L'engle's books, Harry Potte.. more..

Writing
Discovery Discovery

A Chapter by iheart5


Lynya's Wisdom Lynya's Wisdom

A Chapter by iheart5