Our Time

Our Time

A Poem by Ranger Kessel

I was a fool for your long stocking curl.

The way it drooped over your ear and your fingers licked gently into place.

It held me in a trance.

I could see a me and a you playing in the sand.

Building a blanket fort.

Fighting over the past popsicle.

The moon was attainable.

If we wanted it

I didn't see the end.

Ice in your veins.

What the doctors had done to you.

Stitches. Needles. Pumps.

The way your curl hung down over a flattened forehead.

I was there. I just didn't see.

I didn't want to let go.

If I took you home would anything have been different?

You still would have left me.

Things get confusing when our time comes.

I wondered what all this meant.

To you.

Though you couldn't see yourself, did you know this was your time?

I think I knew. I shut it out

I never wanted to envision you in pain or terror.

Maybe that makes me a terrible person. Never letting on that I knew it was your time.

The way god f***s with us the same way.

Never letting us know.

Our time.

I am sorry my curly banged girl.

Goodbye.

© 2022 Ranger Kessel


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Ranger, this work is so full of pain, sadness, regret and questions, it takes me back to when we lost a child. It seemed unbearable at the time, and 40 years later the wounds can still feel raw occasionally, but we did recover. You have really captured the emotions and doubts that overwhelm us in such circumstances. It hurt to read, but it was beautifully written.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for the read and review.



Reviews

Such power in this writing, certainly filled with sadness, emptiness, questions and pain. But so well expressed the love and tenderness. I am sorry for your lost....but in time you will discover that Time is truly the best medicine in Gods pharmacy shop.
Well done and stay well :-)

Posted 1 Year Ago


Impending death, or death itself, is never easy to deal with. We all must face the pain of losing a loved one at some time. The sadness is palpable in this poem. Highly poignant!

Posted 1 Year Ago


I was at the hospital when my mother died after having her only leg amputated. There was a "STAT" call over the loudspeaker...I instinctively knew it was her room. I had just came from there, moments before. She complained to me about her stomach hurting, and was somewhat incoherent. I assured her we were all there. The pain in this piece you have brilliantly written took me back to that November night, to the realization that we just never know. Do we?

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger, this work is so full of pain, sadness, regret and questions, it takes me back to when we lost a child. It seemed unbearable at the time, and 40 years later the wounds can still feel raw occasionally, but we did recover. You have really captured the emotions and doubts that overwhelm us in such circumstances. It hurt to read, but it was beautifully written.

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for the read and review.
this just tore me up....great writing...the saddest story...

Diseases are just the worst visitors...and they leave such devastation.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thank your for the read and review
This is powerful writing Ranger. I think you are at your finest in this mode. Well done,

Posted 1 Year Ago


Ranger Kessel

1 Year Ago

Thank you for the read and review

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
6 Reviews
Added on July 15, 2022
Last Updated on July 15, 2022

Author

Ranger Kessel
Ranger Kessel

Green Bay, WI



About
I like rhymes. Humor. Love. And your mother. more..

Writing
A Barn A Barn

A Poem by Ranger Kessel


5 5

A Poem by Ranger Kessel