Game 1

Game 1

A Chapter by Raquel Vaughn

It was a boring Friday morning, the last class before lunch. Mr. Santiago wouldn't shut up and I was just itching to go eat. I could feel my stomach grumbling so loud and I cringe every time it does. I feel like the whole world can hear me. The only one who notices, though, is my best friend who sits by me, Taylor Kempton.

Taylor is the girl who will tell you what's up. She'll give you a black eye if you say something wrong. She'll join a rampage if she wants to. Heck, she already has. 

She pokes me in the stomach and widens her eyes at me. "Shut up," I whisper to her, grabbing only a few other student's attention around us, making me lower my voice even more. 

"I didn't even say anything," she shrugs her shoulders and raises her hands.

"Just shut up," I roll my eyes and turn back to try and listen to Mr. Santiago. I love Taylor, I really do, but she can be a handful. 

The bell finally rings in the middle of whatever Mr. Santiago was going to say and I can't help but sigh with relief. My stomach grumbles again involuntarily. Taylor gives me a look while packing up her papers in her folder. "Okay, you need to do something about that stomach of yours."

I give her a condescending look and place my hands on my hips, "That's why I'm going to lunch, smart one." 

She puts her hands up in defense before picking up her books, "Fine, fine, whatever. Do you even eat breakfast in the mornings?" we both walk out of the English room, being, of course, the last ones out. 

I run my palm over my forehead, "I haven't been grocery shopping in over a week, and you know how Tommy is, he's like a pig," I roll my eyes at her and she chuckles.

"Yeah, says you."

"Oh, shut up!" I smile. We reach my locker and I switch out my books from English to Science and Math.

"So, how's your mom doing?" she asks, leaning against the lockers.

"Is that question really relevant?" I give her a sideways look and she bites her lip.

"I'm sorry, Chloe."

"I mean, she's not doing any better. She hacked up blood and passed out twice yesterday," I shake my head even thinking about it. Ever since my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer her chances of coming out alive has been decreasing. Now that it's getting worse by the day I've been picking up groceries, dropping Tommy off to school, and paying the bills by working two jobs. 

"I really am sorry, Chloe," she says after I shut my locker and we head to her's.

This time I lean against the lockers while she puts away her books, trading them out for History and Health. "There's nothing I can do now," I admit, sighing a little. "Whatever, what do we do in Science today?" 

She scoffs and rolls her eyes. "We do lab," she grunts and starts balling her hand in a fist after slamming her locker. "Mr. Yeller picks our lab partners for us."

I grunt with her. Mr. Yeller is like the devil when picking our lab partners. He always gives the smart ones to the extra dumb ones. That means I have to deal with an idiot for a full hour every day for a week. And, it's not like I want to call my best friend dumb, but there is no reason she should be mad.

"Okay, so why are you grumpy?" I raise a brow at her as we walk down the hall to the commons.

"Because I got a smart one, all right!" she begins her rant, "Kyler Davis! Ugh, I'd just like to punch that know-it-all head of his. Make him more stupid."

I hear quick footsteps behind me and I take a breath of relief, not wanting to listen to Taylor's rant. Her and I both turn around, doing so everyday to wait for the other member of our friend group, Zachary. Zachary has blonde hair with green eyes and is half a foot taller than me. He's also one of the most popular boys in school. Neither Taylor nor I understand why he hangs out with us. He follows us around everywhere like a lost puppy.

"You really need to get out of class earlier," Taylor rolls her eyes, turning back around. We all start walking back to the commons, Zachary falling in step with us. 

"So," I purse my lips, trying not to smile but to no avail, "What did you get in trouble for this time?"

He smirks, "hitting on the teacher," he says proudly. We give him a disappointed look and his voice goes high in defense, "What? A lady that hot should not be a high school teacher. What is she, like 20?"

"And you're 17," I point out.

"Whatever, I'm just saying that if she doesn't want to be hit on for how hot she looks, she should probably wear a longer dress," he shrugs his shoulders.

I slap him on the shoulder, "Would you shut up!"

He scowls at me. Taylor and I walk to the main lunch line while Zachary goes to the pizza line. I swear, that kid would eat pizza everyday if he wanted to.

After we all pay for our meals we walk to our table and sit down. "Truth or dare?" Taylor asks.

"Dare," I say with full confidence..

Every lunch hour Taylor, Zachary, and I all play Truth or Dare. I know, it's a simple minded game that does nothing but get someone in trouble. But it's kind of our thing. Usually we take turns everyday on who is accepting the truth or dare. But I see that evil glint in Taylor's eyes.

Taylor is also known as the Cupid in the school. She gives everyone a someone. The only thing that sucks about being best friends with Cupid is that you're paired up with the most ridiculous people. Zachary got off the hook for this one though, he sleeps with like every other girl in the school, he'd hit on anyone if he had to. But then there's me. The no one. That's the problem, I'm a no one. Taylor is Cupid and Zachary is the popular one. I'm just the girl with long hair.

"Chloe," starts Taylor, "I dare you to go talk to him," her eyes trail right over my shoulder and her finger points behind me. I'm almost too scared to look behind me, but we have a pact that we can never back down on a dare. Ever.

I slowly turn around, still eyeing Taylor as she bites her lip, trying to contain her smile. I turn around and my eyes follow to where she's pointing at. And there is a boy, whom I've never met before. He has dark hair, his jawline sharp. My breath is cut in my throat. "Oh yeah, he's the new kid. His name is um..." Zachary snaps his fingers trying to remember, "Alex Knight, that's what it is. His names Alex."

"Yep," Taylor chimes in, "his bad boy reputation is already shining bright at Eastern High," I can hear the smile in her voice. For some reason I haven't had the ability to look away from this---What was his name again?---Alex. "Chloe?" I hear Taylor's voice and I'm snapped back into the real world. She gives me a waiting look and I look up at her through my lashes.

"I'm not doing it," I say.

"Come on! You have to!" She jumps in her seat, giving me the puppy eyes. "Remember the pact?"

I try to ignore her but I left her no choice. She gives me one of those looks like she doesn't know what to do with me. "I triple-dog dare you," she whispers. I look up from my salad and Zachary stops mid-chew. I know it sounds childish and unimportant. But we take our Truth or Dare seriously.

If someone triple-dog dares you then that means if you back out on the original dare, you have to do the dare three times in order for the game process to move on. If you reject the triple-dog dare dare then you are stuck with being dared until you break.

This dare that Taylor gave me is already bone shaking. I wonder what she would make me do with him three times.

I scowl at her and slowly move from my chair. I turn around and walk straight to Alex. He doesn't notice me as I'm walking towards him, but I feel like the whole cafeteria is looking at me. I flex my hand, then let go and relax, then flex it again. I was told this action relieves tension. I breathe in deep and out.

The walk to his table already feels like miles away as I walk to him, so I'm surprised when I find myself standing right in front of him. He doesn't look at me, doesn't acknowledge me in any way.

I turn back at Taylor and she just moves her hands in a shooing motion. I bite my lip and bring my attention back to Alex. He doesn't look at me still, but he talks. "Can I help you?" He asks.

I'm frozen. I can't even open my mouth, I just stand there like an idiot. I stare at him for the longest time until he finally turns to look at me. I'm hit by how mysterious his eyes are. They are brown, and even though they are hard as rock, I know I can see something else hidden behind those big, brown eyes of his. I'm so awestruck by them that I actually have the courage to open my mouth. But the only thing that comes out is a disgruntled sound. The bell rings seconds after that and I feel so stupid. He just walks off with his one notebook and pencil in hand. I turn around to Taylor and Zachary and they both look a little discontent. I huff and walk back to my table, I pick up my tray and quickly throw it away before picking up my books and speed walking to class.

I walk into the science room just as the bell rings. "Late Ms. Johnson." Mr. Yeller announces. I cringe, I rarely ever get in trouble or tardy. This is all Taylor's fault for making me talk to that stupid guy.

"I'm sorry Mr. Yeller, it won't happen again," I sit down at my desk and realize that that stupid guy is sitting right in front of me. His hair is all messed up and he's leaning against the back of his chair, making himself take up half of my room on my own desk. I scowl at the back of his head.

"Okay, class," Mr. Yeller greets, "Today we are doing lab," only a small portion of kids clap but the majority of the class groans. "Now, this is how the partners will go," he takes a clipboard and starts from the top. "Kelsey with Tina, Jack with Jordan, Ally with Jasmine, Sara with Robby," I cross my fingers.

This stupid guy is sitting right in front of me, he better not be my partner. I don't think I could ever do this after embarrassing myself just minutes ago in front of him.

"Hailie and Susan, and last but not least, Chloe and Alex." I bury my head in my hands and scoff softly. How wonderful is my life?

We all change seats to sit by our  partners but once I sit down by Alex, again, he does not acknowledge me. I kind of stare at him but in know way does he react. I take the worksheets Mr. Yeller gave to us and I start working on them on my own. Once I get to the last question I decide that maybe Alex should at least participate for one last question.

I open my mouth but I hesitate to let anything come out, too afraid that I'll sound like a dying seal again. "Do you want to do this question?" I ask, sort  of passing the paper his way. He doesn't look at it. He just continues on with his rubix cube. I've never seen a guy so obsessed. I purse my lips as I  look back at the paper. "Okay then, I'll do the last question, like how I did all the other questions." I complain, scribbling down a fast and easy answer.

I sit there, my full body turned away from him. Everyone calls this kid the bad boy, but how can I know that if he won't talk to me. But it's not like I want to talk to him. Gosh dang it! He's a random kid who just moved into town and rumors are already swarming about him.

The bell rings and we turn in our paper. I walk out to go to Math, on my way a kid I've never seen before stops dead in his tracks and looks at me. He whispers, "I can't believe you actually talked to that kid," his eyes are wide and surprised.

At first I'm confused on what he's talking about. But then I remember that when I said it felt like the whole cafeteria was looking at me, it might just have been true. "I...I..." is all I can get out.

"Dang girl, you're effing brave!" He slaps my shoulders and I furrow my brows. This new boy, Alex, barely opens his mouth. He wont even look at me, and I'm the one considered brave. I almost scoff at him but I hold it in and shove past him.

I notice, on the way to Math, that kids start giving me weird looks. I May be the shy, obedient one, but when it comes to Truth or Dare with Tay and Zach, I'm the champion. But this is crazy. How can everyone be so afraid of this guy?

I get to Math and sit in the classroom for 45 minutes. I already know all of this, why do I have to be here. Mrs. Andie keeps going on and on about something, but I'm not really listening.

Once Math finally ends I run out of the room and to my locker. I can still feel the eyes of other kids boring a hole in my head.

I open my locker and put my books in my backpack before slinging it over my shoulder. I say bye to a few people and wish them a good weekend. I wait by the front doors for Tay and Zachary. I see Alex coming down the hall but I quickly pull out my phone and pretend that I'm texting someone to avoid eye contact.

Once I watch Alex Knight walking out of the school from the corner of my eye I look up from my phone through my lashes to see if the coast was clear. When I do I spot Taylor walking down the hall as she pulls Zachary behind her, away from a girl. I roll my eyes and stuff my phone in my sweatshirt pocket.

They both get to me. "What, I wasn't doing anything," he whines. She smirks at him while giving him a condescending look. I wish they'd just get a room already. I roll my eyes and pull them forward. I have homework to do when I get home, I don't have time to stand here and listen to them flirting with each other.

I get in the driver's seat and Tay gets in the passenger's, while Zach is stuck in the back. I drive like an inch when the door opens and I stop immediately. "Hey! Best friends, how ya doing!" Cesar jumps in the car, the very last member of our friend group.

Zachary shifts his body and waits until Cesar puts his seat belt on, "Where were you today at lunch?" He punches his knee, "You should've seen Chloe, she was dared by Tay."

Cesar shakes with laughter, "That's never good."

"She had to talk to the famous Alex Knight," Zach informs Cesar.

"Oh yeah, I know him," Cesar mentions. I turn out of the school parking lot. "I think he said he lived somewhere near your house, Chloe," he gestures to me and my eyes snap to the rear view mirror.

How lovely, the delinquent lives somewhere near me. What a treat.

I get to the elementary school and Tommy jumps in by Cesar. "My little man," Cesar gives him a bro hug and does this handshake thing.

I watch in the rear view mirror. "Could you please stop teaching my brother these ridiculous handshakes," I snap, shaking my head.

"Hey, calm down, mamasita. Just having some fun," Cesar puts his hands up in surrender. I purse my lips and arch a brow.

Yeah, my brother's gonna grow up doing drugs and alcohol just like you.

We get to Zachary's house and both Cesar and Tay get out as well. "Aren't  you coming," she hesitates before shutting the car door.

"No. Unlike you, I actually do my homework," I point out. She shakes her head and runs up to Zachary's front porch. Tommy jumps in the passenger's seat.

Once we get home Tommy is excited to show whatever he made for mom at school. I earn him to be careful, she could still be sick, but he's a kid, he doesn't listen.

I run into the house after him to see mom already struggling. I see her leaning over the kitchen sink, coughing, blood spurting out. She tries explaining what happened but I tell her to be quiet, it's not good for her to put so much stress on the lungs.

"Mom. Mom. Here," I hand her her inhaler and turn on the sink, washing the blood and mucus wash down the drain. I try my best not to gag for my mom's sake, I can't have her put the thought of this being a burden on me in her mind. Tommy knows the drill, he runs up to the bathroom and grabs a dirty towel. I grab the towel from him and hand it to mom, she puts it to her mouth and coughs a bit more. "Did you take your pills, mom?" I lead her to the couch and sit her down. I take the remote and surf through channels until I find one of her favorite shows.

"Yes, but there are only a few more," she points to the coffee table where dozens of medical bottles sit. I see one in the pile of empty bottles and spot just a few pills to last her through the night.

I smile and set it on the coffee table away from the other bottles. As I walk away Tommy jumps on the other side of the couch and starts talking to her about what he made in art class. I dont hear much, I don't really care, I'm just glad there is something to take my mom's mind off her cancer.

I grab my backpack that I threw by the stairs and run up to my room. I turn on the lamp, leaving my main light off. I open the window, since the snow has already melted outside and sit at my desk just inches away from the cool breeze. I pull out my homework, moaning with disappointment that I have to do all of this. This is what happens when you stay home sick for a day. I start with Science since it's my worst class and if I don't do it now, I might never.

I get done with my Science when I hear some commotion in the house next to ours. There's a window right across from mine that leads into a bedroom of the other house. There used to be a little girl in the room and she wouldn't shut up. All she ever wanted to talk about was Barbies and Polly Pockets and this boy she has a crush on in school. She was like nine, she didn't need to worry about boys, she should've been worrying about whether or not she did her chores.

I roll my desk chair to the bay window and see...

Wait for it...

Alex Knight.

How wonderful. First of all, I embarrass myself in front of him, I get to be his Science lab partner, and now he lives just a few feet away from me. Karma just isn't on my side this time.

I switch from my chair to the bay window and open it up even more. To my surprise, Alex Knight is playing the guitar and singing. His shirt is off, showing a perfect six-pack. He looks lost in his music, I'm guessing it's original, I've never heard the song before. He stops and bites his lip while writing down whatever he was singing on a piece of paper. I think my hypothesis has been confirmed.

I pull my knees up to my chin. "And here I am thinking you couldn't even  talk," I jump a little when I realize I actually talked to him.  His head snaps up and he finds my eyes with his.

He breathes out and jerks his head, which could be considered a small chuckle. Gosh dang it, his jawline is perfect. "Well," he smiles, "I could say the same to you."

I laugh, "Well, yes, I will admit I did sound like a dying walrus."

He arches a brow and I can sense his eyes traveling down my body before giving me an intense look. "So, I didn't know you lived here," he places down his guitar on his bed and gets out a toothpick, placing it into his mouth.

The cool breeze hits my bare arms and I remember I changed into a tank top before. I grab my blanket from off the foot of my bed and wrap myself in it. "Well, if I knew you were going to live here, I wouldn't have bothered trying to talk to you."

He leans on his window frame and observes me. "Actually you're the first one who even tried," he chuckles. My eyes widen in surprise. Is that why  I'm apparently so brave? He chuckles even more and looks down at his hands, "It was a good dare." My eyebrows furrow in confusion on how even knows it was a dare. "Come on, Angel..."

I narrow my eyes, "Don't call me that," I warn.

"Okay...Angel," I growl at him. That's a horrible nickname. Angel. "But I have ears, our tables weren't far apart, I heard everything that was going on."



© 2017 Raquel Vaughn


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on March 25, 2017
Last Updated on March 25, 2017


Author

Raquel Vaughn
Raquel Vaughn

Fairmont, MN



About
I love to read and write, one of my favorite things in the world! My only goal is to become an author! Don't hesitate to contact me! Let's become friends! Email me: [email protected] *.. more..

Writing