Pg 2

Pg 2

A Chapter by One Last Drop...

That night when he went to sleep, he heard the girl’s voice in his dreams. He was in nothing, just darkness, and there was nothing but her voice and his mind.

‘…Become so numb…Wake me up inside…Call my name and save me…Only you are the life among the dead…’

‘Imogene?’  Matt asked carefully, surprised that he could after six weeks. The desperate pleas for help stopped.

‘Matt, right?’ she asked, surprisingly calmly.

‘Yeah…how did you know my name?’

‘I don’t know…’ Imogene replied, sounding lost and confused. Matt felt an urge to protect her, to reassure her. ‘I guess it just came to me. And when we were writing emails, you just came across as a “Matt” to me. Oh, please, I need your help!’ she cried suddenly.

‘How can I help?’ he asked, frustrated slightly. All he knew was her name and that she’d been in a car accident… ‘All I've been told is your name and that you were in a car accident…your mum said you're in a coma,’ he added softly, thinking he may be breaking the news to her a little harshly.

‘Is that why I won't wake up? Dad’s dead, isn’t he?’ she asked suddenly, her tone changing. Matt sighed.

‘Yes. Look, to help you I need to know where you are…’ he began, but Imogene cut him off.

‘How old are you, Matt?’ she asked, and he couldn’t help but be amused.

‘I'm just turned eighteen. You?’

‘I'm seventeen,’ she replied, then spoke quickly as Matt was drawn away slightly. ‘My last name is Johnson, and I live in Perth, Australia,’ she told him.

‘Matthew Evans, Melbourne,’ he told her, and then there was nothing.

*

He woke suddenly, the conversation he'd had with Imogene still fresh in his mind. Imogene Johnson of Perth, Australia…well, at least they were in the same country…he paused. Why was he thinking about finding her? Then he remembered his promise. He would help her to wake up. He'd bring her back to life.

 

Sticking an old Evanescence CD into his stereo, Matt turned on his computer and opened his internet browser, looking up the Western Australian newspaper for fatalities. If there was an accident causing death, it was sure to be in the paper, especially with Imogene still in her coma. While “Lithium” played quietly in the background, he looked for the right information.

*

An hour later he struck gold, figuratively speaking. Imogene Johnson, only daughter of Deborah Johnson and the now-deceased Louis Johnson, was currently in a coma in Sir Charles Gardner Hospital. Thanks to his well-developed hacking skills, Matt now knew that she wasn’t on life support, just a respirator. Her brainwaves were completely normal, but she wasn’t waking up, which was confusing the doctors. Psychologists said that she would snap out of it eventually, but until she decided to wake up, there was nothing that could be done. It was an unusual case. Matt was relieved to learn that most of her injuries were healed, but dismayed that her mental condition was still undetermined. Closing down the window that had the information he had needed, he opened up his bank account. All he had to do was hope that he had enough funds to get to Perth and back in two weeks…Thank whatever god existed for school holidays!

*

Another hour later, Matt made his way downstairs for breakfast. He had been planning to go to Perth to visit his father these holidays, so it wouldn’t be much of a surprise to his mother, and he wouldn’t rouse suspicion. After all, he couldn’t really tell his mum he was off across the country to save the life of a girl who he had spoken to in his dreams and who he had only spoke to in emails before that. No, that wouldn’t sit well with his mother at all, despite the fact he was planning on moving out after graduation in eight weeks…to move to Perth. Perhaps all this was happening to give him a reason to go there? Shrugging mentally, Matt ate his breakfast quickly and dashed back upstairs to email Debbie before he went to work. He might need to talk to her in person…

*

Dear Deborah;

Just writing to let you know I'm coming to Perth to visit my father on Sunday afternoon. May I see you to talk about Imogene while I am over there? I think, knowing what you have told me now, that I know how to wake her up. It is a little strange, but all I ask is that you believe me when I tell you. I will speak to you soon.

Sincerely;

Matt.



© 2008 One Last Drop...


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
Added on June 16, 2008


Author

One Last Drop...
One Last Drop...

Perth, Australia



About
Hi! Here's a little bit about me... I'm almost 20, studying to be a high-school English teacher. I work as a swimming teacher whenever possible, and I write a lot of fanfiction. My favourite mus.. more..

Writing