The Start

The Start

A Chapter by RedRose99

Connor's P.O.V.
"I have been waiting for this for four-hundred years, why can't she be told sooner?" I ask "You and I both know why, if she isn't told by the elder your destinies never mix "the oracle explained, sounding a little agitated." I know, when is the elder supposed to go see her?" I ask a bit more calmly." The elder is supposed to arrive tonight at precisely 8:30 p.m., Connor everything will be all right. I have known you for four-hundred twelve years. You might be exasperating at times, but she'll love you none the same." she says, trying to calm my nerves." I hope so....."I say feeling glum I have to wait this much longer.
Lily's P.O.V.
Today's my 18th birthday and my parents are acting crazy. My dad's trying to tempt me out of moving out, and my mom is preparing the house for my last birthday at home. This seems a little weird considering the fact it's only going to be us. "Lily Mae!" I pick up my mother scream from downstairs. I walk into the living room and there are two dresses lying on the sofa. One a sparkly baby blue and one a sparkly fiery red. "What's this?" I ask my mom. "These are the choices of what you're putting on tonight. So which one?" she demanded, "Why?" I ask a little confused. "Because your father and I invited someone over, and he sent these as a gift.You will be wearing one." she insisted. Oh no, not again, last time they invited someone over it ended badly. To put nicely the night started with the guy being an a*****e and trying to feel me up while my parents left the room, and ended with a drink in his face. My parents better haven't invited another creep over.
"Who is it this time?" I ask trying to keep my tone up beat and failing miserably. "An Elder and I have continuously apologized for that guy several times so stop. "She says.Wait, what? ?Why is an elder coming over on my birthday? They didn't go to social event unless they had an announcement for them. Oh, Gods, I hope it's good news, and not for me.
"Why is an Elder coming over on my birthday?" I ask a little out of breath "He says he has news for you." she says softly. For me Oh, Gods, I'm going to pass out. "I was reassured it wasn't bad news so don't pass out Lily, okay?" she demanded. I try and put my mind back in my body and it works for the most part. "Okay..." I breathe "Well, which one" she says pointing to the dresses. "The red Mom, always the red" I tell her laughing a little.
I three-wayed my friend Kimi and Layla on the phone. Kimi is an Indian chief's daughter and Layla is a witch from Ireland. "So, are your parents going to let you come tonight I'm so nervous and elder is coming over and he has news for me." I say "I would, but I believe that same Elder banned me to come tonight." Layla says "Really, because I also got banned as well, I wonder if the news is that confidential." Kimi says "I don't know but I have a bad feeling about tonight like that time we all got food poisoning or that time a snake bit Kimi. My nerves are almost completely shot I don't know how well tonight is starting to go but if it's bad news I want you guys to know that I love you guys like sisters and I'll contact as soon as possible." I say with a queasy spirit. "Okay, stop that right now it's not going to be bad, and if it is we'll break you out of it like we always do. Remember that time that you screwed up that potion for class and we stayed up all night helping you fix it. Or when you got stuck with the chicken pox and we all stayed with you and caught it to just so you wouldn't be alone. If we got through all of that we will get through this. Okay?" Layla said making me feel 1000x's better. "Exactly you know will get through this you're just mad at that damn Elder for banning us it will be okay." Kimi says being such a sweetheart. It is so like her. "Yes, I get it you're right, I'm just being silly. You sweetheart. It is so like her. "Yes, I get it you're right, I'm just being silly. You know Layla you are a b***h sometimes." I say "Hey, I'm only a b***h when you're being stupid." Layla says. I swear her and her snappy comebacks, but they're always so true so what am I supposed to do. "True very true actually I don't know why I freaked I just think I'm anxious for tonight. Sorry guys." I say "It's fine now will you get ready!" Kimi exclaims "Yeah, and don't forget to tell him off for banning us, and while you are at it you can calm your a*s down with that special tea I made you. You know it always helps." Layla says "Okay, Okay, I'm going and I'll definitely be telling him off I'm so pist right now I could scream." I tell both of them while the music is playing in the background.
An hour later, I'm trying to concentrate on breathing in and out. The nerves are starting to get to me and I start losing breath all together. I am dressed and my make-up and hair is done and the Elder will be here in 10 minutes. I decide to try and calm my nerves with tea, and just as I'm finished making it the Elder appears in the kitchen almost giving me a heart attack. "Hello Lily Mae I'm sorry dear, did I startle you?" He asks softly. I nod and say" A little, but no harm done so all is well" giving it my best smile. My mother and father join me then saying their hellos, while I try and slow my rapid heart. Then my father asks if we would like to go to the living room, we all agree. Mother asks if we wanted drinks and one by one we answered. My dad has a gin and tonic, the Elder had scotch on the rocks and I have my favorite a Shirley Temple. Well, my favorite that my parents know at least, my real favorite is a cosmo. My dad and the Elder start talking about fishing and try to tune most of it out. Not wanting to relive old fishing trips gone badly. When my mother walks in, she glares at my father for a moment, then smiles at me again and they start talking about something else that makes me be included.
My mother is truly evil at this moment for me, because she knows I hate having the spotlight. The Elder starts asking about school, homework, and friends. I really hate the spotlight even on my birthday. "School is good, although the teachers are a bit touchy, homework is really easy, and my friends are as lovely as ever. Very mad at you for banning them from my party though. What I'm asking is why did you ban them is it really that bad?" I ask wanting to go sit in my room and blast music to ignore the answer. "Well sort of but really this is just confidential, as you know I have some news for you." He says. I nod solemnly as he continues. "As you know you're the oldest of your brothers and sisters, and have powers that the others don't. Well, what you don't know is that you're kind of adopted, and my daughter that inherited your mother's and my abilities. This means you're one of the most powerful beings on the planet and must marry someone of equal power by your nineteenth birthday. If you don't do so; you must be destroyed." He explains. I have no words I just sit there my eyes wide and mouth slightly open. Then I bolt upstairs slamming it, I run over to the sound system, crank it to the max. Then I go to my bed and I start crying when I realize my whole life is a lie.
I faintly hear a knock at the door and someone trying to enter. I'm so glad I put that spell where you can only enter if I speak the words so. All too quickly realize I only put it on the door as my balcony door flashes open.My apparently father walks through with hands up acting like he surrenders. Why? I don't know. He steps over to the sound system and switches it off. "I'm sorry it seemed best to come right out and say it." He says softly. I turn to him and I see pain, regret, and love swirl into his eyes. "Why am I only hearing about this now?" I ask trying not to cry anymore. "I'm so sorry when your mother gave birth to you she was cursed by Aphrodite for giving birth to a child prettier than she. The curse was she had to kill you to break it. I couldn't let that happen soas soon as she gave birth I took you and ran where she could never find you with people I trusted with my life. When I heard she escaped the hospital, I tried to track her down and stop her, but, she's a cunning woman if she doesn't want to be found she won't be. That's what I've been doing for the last eighteen years. I didn't want to leave you, but she has to be stopped. I was always there for important stuff first word, first crawl, first walk, first days, of school all of the firsts. Just because you didn't see me doesn't mean I wasn't there for you. Can't you see that?" he asks. My mind is reeling my father is an Elder and my mother's a crazy witch and I'm being hunted by her. What a lovely birthday present. I just sit there staring at him trying to find something to say I open my mouth, but not a sound escapes it.
A couple minutes pass and I ask him "Why didn't I know any of this?" he replies "It would've put you in danger to know until you were at your full power." I want to walk up to him and sock him in the face, but he was only trying to protect me. I can see with eyes that he loves me and my heart believes it, but mind wants to believe other things. Like he's a big fat lying creep, or he was hired as a prank, but I know I'm only trying to cover up the hurt by believing such nonsense. I look up at him and it looks like he's gauging my reaction to all of this. "Why do I have to marry someone?" I ask looking into his eyes. "If you don't marry someone you will start to turn evil like the others. I can't have you turning into one of those girls Lily." He says. "So, I have pretty much no control in this at all?" I ask "No, you've been prophesied to be the mate of one of my friend's sons. This is the only being as powerful as you are. I'm so sorry Lily if there was any way to prevent this I would. But when you've been prophesied to the prince of the Other World it's kind of hard to ignore. "He says. The prince of the Other World he's got to be f*****g kidding me. I look up and he looks so sincere."I can't f*****g believe this you come here on my birthday drop all these bombshells on me and what expect me to what be happy about it, all of it? You have got to be f*****g kidding me? "I ask. "No, I don't expect you to be happy about this, but don't you, that tone with me little girl or I'll put you on timeout. Do we understand each other? "He asks.
"Sure. Why, not I'll just listen to someone who tells me I have to have an arranged marriage to someone I don't even know. "I reply being kind of a b***h about it. "I understand you are upset about this, but, calm down before you blow the house up. "He says. Blow the house up what is he talking about. Then I look down and realize I glowing red and I try to calm myself and, it works. The red starts fading until my skin is back to normal. "Why did that just happen?" I ask. "That is you at your full power. Your mother's power was to moderate the power in her by her emotions. It worked well until she got mad like you just did. This is why you have to come train with me to control it or next time you will demolish anything in your way. This is also another reason you have to marry someone of equal power because only that person can help you control it." He says. "Okay, I can somewhat grasp that, but, why do the girls that don't marry turn evil?" I ask. "We have no idea we're hoping are scientists' can figure out something. Does this imply you'll train with me?" he asks with hope in his optics. "Cause I actually have a choice in the matter?" I demand. "No, I guess you don't," he says, sounding a little hurt. "So what's this person's name that I have to spend eternity with?" I ask trying to change the subject. "His name is Connor he's the oldest son of the king. He's 419 years old, and has black hair, blue eyes just like you. When he turned 19 the oracle prophesied your were to be his soul mate and has been waiting for you ever since. I've got to give the guy credit I wouldn't be able to wait that long for one girl. Then again, he has more patience than I." he states. "So how long do I have until I have to marry?" I ask "You have 3 ½ months and then you must be wed by the decree of the king." He says. Oh, f*****g joy I have three months to get to know the guy I'm stuck with for the rest of forever. What else could go wrong tonight? "When do I have to meet him?" I ask dreading the answer. "Well, um.... You have to meet with him tonight, but, you have to understand he's been waiting 400 hundred years to be with you." He says trying to reason with me while I try not to go nuclear. Try as I might my skin starts to match the dress. "Turn the music back on now and I would hurry up about it if I were you." I tell him. He turns around to the sound system cranks it up and my skin starts returning to my normal color. Thank the gods; at least one thing about me remains normal music calms me. "Okay, I'll meet with him, but, if he does something I find offensive towards me I'm not responsible for my actions. Okay?" I demand. "Fine by me Lily pad." He says and I smile at the familiar childhood nickname. He takes out a phone and calls someone and I tune out the conversation that I really don't want to hear. "He says he'll be here in 10 minutes. Are you okay, Lily?" he asks. "I'm fine, I just need to sit down and have some tea. Hand me that iPod just in case. I like this house I don't want to blow it up." I say laughing a little at the last part. I unlock the door and open with my father trailing right behind me on the stairs. I walk down the last step and see my adopted parents are sitting on the couch looking worried as hell. I walk over to them and they start apologizing and crying. Now I'm trying to calm them down and finally, after 10 minutes of trying I get them calmed down enough to go to bed after promising 5 times I'll be here in the morning to talk. Once they were in their bedroom I walk to the kitchen and turn the teapot on. I take my favorite tea from the pantry.


© 2015 RedRose99


Author's Note

RedRose99
What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I liked the story. You put a lot in the chapter. You held my attention. I like the feel of real life and real thoughts. You described family, main character and create a very good storyline. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked the story. You put a lot in the chapter. You held my attention. I like the feel of real life and real thoughts. You described family, main character and create a very good storyline. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 30, 2015
Last Updated on May 30, 2015