Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Mariah Jane

A young girl perilously perched atop a mountain side. Her hands were white as she grasped the rock that stood before her. The girl's clothes were tattered and torn, and she looked as though she hadn't bathed in months...if not longer. Her once beautiful fiery, red hair clung to the sides of her dirty face, plastered by the rain that beat upon her from above.  She slowly lifted her face toward the top-most point of the enormous mountain. She carefully lifted her foot and began to climb upwards, pulling, grasping, and lifting herself toward the peak.  Suddenly, with no warning, a shriek was heard from somewhere within the dense clouds that hid her from the rest of the world. Her heart raced and she gasped as her foot slipped off one of the rocks. Again, a shriek was heard and this time a dark shadow came out of no where and lunged at the helpless climber. She Screamed and batted at it, but it kept pursuing its prey. The long claws and sharp beak of this seemingly bird-like creature tore against the flesh of the now terrified girl.  Without warning the girl snarled and lashed out at the creature and threw it off its course and she quickly began her ascent once more. She cried out in pain as she received a heavy blow across the cheek and neck from the creature.  She looked up and saw that she was only a few feet away from her destination and smiled weakly and pushed herself until she reached the ledge. She quickly pulled herself up and ran forward and disappeared into the darkness of the mountain. Outside, the foul creature screamed in fury, having lost his prey, his scream filling the air and carrying across the wind both far and wide.

          Down the mountain and toward the eastern wood, rangers paused as they heard the dreadful scream. Some cringed and clawed at their ears...others just squeezed their eyes shut as though trying to keep horrible nightmares from returning. Shivers ran down their spines and one of the Rangers stepped out, his face hidden by a cloak, "Come, our prey is near."  The men picked up their pace and began running toward the base of the mountain. 

          The girl crouched stiffly behind a large boulder, her heart racing, and her head pounding. Blood was pouring from the wound around her face and neck and she shook from exhaustion and the adrenaline that rushed through her veins.  Loud noises could be heard from deep within the cave and the wind was howling though the passageway. The Girl jumped as she heard the scream of the horrid creature outside...it came again and again. Then it paused. She soon realized why. The creature had entered the cave.  The girl stood frozen in her place, not daring to even breathe. The creature screamed again, only this time it was so close and so loud her heart skipped a beat and she gasped from the pain shooting through her head. The creature turned and looked in her direction and seemed to slither toward her hiding place. Tears began to fill in the helpless girl's eyes, and she now shook out of pure terror. The dark creature stood over her, perched atop the boulder in front of her. She looked up at its hideous face, her dark blue eyes glossy with tears.  Its sharp beak-like mouth opened and it screamed again, and she clawed at her ears trying desperately to keep the noise out. The creatures greenish-black eyes glimmered from behind scales that flecked its face like armor and it looked at her menacingly and, without warning, attacked her. She screamed and covered her face, but rather then feeling the searing pain upon her arm she heard the gasps and gurgling of the creature before her. She looked up and saw a fiery arrow protruding from its head. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened. She looked around carefully for the source as the creature writhed in pain before falling to the ground, seemingly dead. She stood up silently and looked around the corner of the boulder. She couldn't see anything, but she soon heard deep voices and began to see shadows moving. She shuddered and moved away from the wall, further back into the cave and into the shadows. The voices had been coming from men and they were soon visible among the shadows, talking amongst themselves and looking over the dead creature. One of the men poked at it and nodded his head to one of the bigger men. Non of their faces were able to be seen for they were all hidden behind cloaks and scarves, so the girl could not tell what they were saying, but they seemed to be discussing the creature and what its motives were for entering this cave.  The bigger man stepped forward and looked around carefully, the girl pulled herself back tightly into the shadow and held her breath, hoping that he would not see her. He turned and looked at his men and nodded for them to head back. They all turned and began to leave and the girl started to relax and she took a deep breath. Suddenly, the dark creature rose and screamed loud and harsh. It plucked the arrow out of his head and his eyes glistened and glowed with a fierce hatred. The girl screamed and the men spun and looked at the ferocious beast before them. The men drew their swords and bows and stood their ground. The creature attacked. It lashed and tore at the men and the men fought back, firing arrows and swinging their swords. Several of the men were thrown against the wall and knocked out and soon, none but the biggest of them was left standing.  The man stood tall, his deep eyes sparkling from behind his cloak. The creature snarled and flew at him knocking him off balance.  He stumbled and caught himself against the wall of the ever darkening cave.  The girl stood transfixed, watching the battle scene before her. The creature spun and his nostrils flared (if it were anymore possible), bared its teeth and charged once again, this time pinning the man to the ground, sending the man's sword flying across the cave. The girl's eyes grew wide once again and she froze. The creature sneered and spoke in a voice that none would want to hear, a black speech that sent shivers up and down your spine and chilled the very room.  "You dare to fight me? You hunt my kind, killing us off...but you shan't today...today, you will die."  The creature lunged but suddenly went sprawling back against the wall, wailing and screaming and there, shriveled and died. The girl stood, her eyes transfixed on the dead figure before her, a sword in her hands. Her dark, sapphire eyes glistened with pure spite for the now dead creature. She then turned and looked at the man now propping himself up against the wall and went pale. She shuddered once, and fell to the ground, unconscious, blood now seeping from her wounds.

          Celeste woke up in a daze. Her head was pounding and she felt sore and rather stiff. She suddenly jumped as she remembered the events of the day before....or was it the day before?  She felt her head and neck and found them wrapped in cloth. She blinked a couple of times and got up, steadying herself on the rock nearby. Just then a door opened and a tall man entered and looked at her carefully and spoke softly to her. "Ah, the little heroine is awake at last?" his voice was smooth and deep and he held his head high as he spoke. Celeste said nothing, but rather, looked up at him carefully and took in what she saw. His eyes were a Deep, clear blue and they sparkled with deep wisdom and mystery. He was handsome, and had brown hair with lightly tanned skin.  He wore what seemed to be traveling clothes, yet they seemed fit for a battle and He wore a sword at his side as well as a knife tucked neatly in his left boot.  His broad shoulders made it completely clear that this was no stable boy, but a hardened warrior.  She shook her head slightly and looked away. How had she gotten here? She cringed slightly as her head, once again, began to pound. The man smiled, crouched down and offered her his hand in greeting. "I'm sorry, I haven't introduced myself. I am Tristan, a Ranger of these parts, and who might you be, M'lady?" Celeste looked at him carefully then took his hand, her own hand being half the size of his and very fair in color, She bit her lip and spoke slowly, "I...I am C...Celeste." She fumbled over her name and turned a light shade of pink and looked away.  Tristan smiled and kissed her hand gently. "'Tis a pleasure, Celeste," he released her hand as he paused. "But, if you don't mind, might I have a word with you? I need some information that, I'm afraid, only you can give me."   Suddenly Celeste’s eyes grew wide and she scooted away from him, pulling her knees up to her chest and looking like a frightened rabbit. "No!" she shouted weakly. "I shan’t tell you! You and everyone else want it, but you can't have it, I tell you!" her voice quivered as she spoke and Tristan looked rather confused. "Have what? I don't want anything! I simply want to know why you were in that cave yesterday and what that creature wanted with you." Tristan's brows were furrowed in concern, yet his voice remained calm. Celeste relaxed a little, but still remained were she was. "Oh...well...sorry...in that case..." she looked around a little and looked nervous but took a deep breath as though preparing to recite a speech she had practiced for months. "Well, you see, I've never known my parents and well, I was running away from some evil people who were trying to sell me back into slavery and I didn't want to get caught so I was trying to get to the other side of the mountain where I've heard slavery isn't aloud. So while I was trying to climb it, that Thing attacked me and wouldn't leave me alone...it said I had something it wanted, but I didn't know what that could be, so I forced myself into that cave to hide, but it didn't work. It followed me." she paused for a breath and looked at him and turned her head to one side curiously. "What was that thing, anyways?" Her voice had become a little steadier but still sounded small and delicate.  Tristan shrugged and shook his head. "That is not for me to tell you at the moment. It is, though, time for you to go down to the river to bathe. I brought you some clothing that you can have while you are with us. I'll show you the way down." He handed her the clothes and offered her a hand up. She blinked at this rather random action and looked puzzled for a moment before taking his hand. He helped her up and together they walked out of the cave. The clouds from the day before had worn off and now dazzling sunshine flooded the wood.  Celeste blinked and rubbed her eyes before walking any further. She then followed him down a trail to a clear water fall descending into a small lake, just big enough to swim in. He turned to Celeste and smiled,   "And here I will leave you, though we are not far. If you need something, call us." Celeste nodded and he turned and walked back up toward the camp. 

Celeste smiled and walked over to the water hole and set the clothes that had been given to her on a rock. She then took the wrap off her head and neck and waded into the water. The water was cold against her skin, but felt good to the cuts and scratches on her back and arms. She smiled again and dunked herself in the water and carefully began to clean out the wounds along her face and neck. She then proceeded to wash her hair and clean herself thoroughly. When she was finished, she climbed out of the water and laid on a rock, soaking in the brilliant sunlight. Once dry, she carefully put on the new clothes and brushed through her hair with her fingers. When she finished she turned and made her way carefully up toward the place from which she had come.

          Tristan perched upon a tree branch, appearing to be watching the pathway for his men, but his mind was elsewhere.  Where had this mysterious child come from? She seemed far too young to be off on her own...and what’s this about slavery? In this land? That was banished years ago. Yes, he had heard rumors of it continuing, but not this close to home. He shook his head slightly and was suddenly reminded of the reaction he had received from Celeste when he asked her for information. What had caused such a reaction? Why was she so worried and uneasy? And then, why was she so eager to tell her story? Tristan sighed and was suddenly brought back to reality by the sound of his men coming down the trail.  He waited silently until he was sure they were right where he wanted them. He then jumped down from the tree and into a basket which in turn, pulled a cord causing them to trip, which triggered the buckets in the tree to let go of their contents (which consisted of sap and feathers). Tristan laughed heartily at his fellow rangers and they yelled and hollered at one another until they realized who had caused the mess they were now in. They all suddenly stopped and looked at Tristan, each one of their faces cold and serious. Tristan stopped laughing and his face drained. "Now men…I can explain… Xander...Brennir...Kaden....Red?! Oh come on guys...Can't you take a little prank?"  They were slowly advancing on him and he knew he was in trouble. Tristan stepped backwards and turned to run, but all the others were on him in a flash. The men squirmed, kicked, bit, punched and rolled on the ground until suddenly a beautiful, clear, melodic voice was heard. "Tristan?" All the men stopped at the sound of a female’s voice. They looked up and stared, for before them stood a tall, slender woman. Her eyes were a dark, sapphire blue and she had long, fiery red hair that wisped about her fair face. She was dressed in a burgundy dress with gold trimming that was far too big for her and she carried with her what seemed to be tattered rags. Around her neck she wore a beautiful pendant of an eight-rayed star that shimmered in silver, sapphire, emerald, fire opal and other precious stones. Half seemed made of fire, and the other, of shadow itself.  The men stood, transfixed upon this fair intruder. Then they suddenly turned and looked at Tristan, looking for answers. Tristan blinked and then smiled suddenly. "Ah, M'lady, I see you have returned from your bath. I hope all was well? You look lovely." he walked over to her and bowed deeply then turned and looked at his men. "Celeste, I would like you to meet some of my men...This is Red," he pointed to a tall, gangly looking fellow with bright red hair and freckles on his nose. He didn't look to be that old, but looked sturdy enough to hold his ground in any fight. His green eyes were wide and he nodded his head in respect. "...and this is Xander..."Tristan then pointed to a broad shouldered man with sleek black hair. His eyes were deep and his face showed scars and lines of worry. Xander bowed deeply, but kept an emotionless face. Tristan continued down the line and pointed to a tall, slender but muscular young man with golden-blonde hair that didn't quite cover his pointed ears and fair skin. "This is Brennir..." Tristan stifled a laugh as Brennir tried to look dashing and then went on to the last before he could get yelled at. "And last but not least, this is Kaden." he nodded toward a stout man with wiry brownish-blonde hair and sparkling brown eyes. Kaden bowed deeply and took Celeste’s hand and kissed it. "’Tis a pleasure, M'lady! Tis a pleasure indeed!" he grinned and winked at her and Celeste tried not to giggle at his mannerisms. She looked up at Tristan and he was rolling his eyes and then suddenly turned to Celeste..."So, shall we head back to the camp? You look like you could use something to eat." Celeste smiled and nodded, "Aye, I could use some food." her voice was soft and sweet as she spoke, but she did not look them in the eyes if she could help it. In fact, she avoided it with all that she could. Tristan noticed, but said nothing as he lead her back to the camp...the angry and jealous men following not far behind. 



© 2011 Mariah Jane


Author's Note

Mariah Jane
I never really set chapters for this book, so it may be cut off in random places... sorry!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Awesome I love fantasy as well as the name Tristan. Can't wait to read more.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
1 Review
Added on June 1, 2011
Last Updated on June 1, 2011


Author

Mariah Jane
Mariah Jane

Plainview, TX



About
I am a wife, mother, college student and Barista. (I make espresso drinks and stuff). I'm only 23. I write for fun... I enjoy creating worlds and I have tons of great ideas. I am a musician... so I wr.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Mariah Jane