"My Take On Poetry" (an interview)

"My Take On Poetry" (an interview)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Short Composition

"



"My Take On Poetry"


Forenote:


   While digging through my archives, I came upon this little composition from 1972, someone may find interesting, entertaining, or even informative.

   It is from a conversation between Leona, a novice poet and one of my students (also, a sophomore English major at SMU, in Dallas, Texas) and I, that was recorded on a reel-to-reel tape and transcribed by her into type as a grade paper.

   The composition is her format, but the wording is exactly as I spoke it.

  The introduction Rhyming Couplets poem is by a poet friend, who generously permitted it to be included ... I think it befits the moment and sets the tone perfectly.

 
~ Introduction ~
 
Poetry is a gift, the ability to show one's inner-self,
much as a proprietor displays his wares, upon a public shelf.
 
The ability to write in rhyme, makes not the poet,
but that he writes sincerely, and his readers know it.
 
That he can raise a tear, a smile, enlightenment, or query;
perhaps, shed moments of enlightenment, upon a subject dreary.
 
He doesn't need to be a scholar, knowing how to spell,
but simply one who starts a task, and tries to do it well.
 
But, most of all, the poet is a person, not in part, but whole;
for, when he writes he opens up … the gateway to his soul.
 
~ John F. Price ~
"theatercats"
______*______ 
 


  "Tell me, Richard, exactly what your take on poetry is," she said. 
  "Hmm?" I replied. "Let me think on that for a bit......!"
 
  "Well, Leona, to me, more than anything else, poetry is a brilliantly creative way for humans to express who they are, what they feel, and believe, and to touch one another without physical contact.
   As human beings, we experience and share a vast array of emotions, all of which are transient in nature.  The way we feel and what we think can change more often than the weather, with even less predictability. 
   I look upon my own poetical efforts, for example, as attempts to capture a moment's feelings in verse upon the page, much like a photographer records what they see through their lens onto film. 
   While looking back on what I've written over the years reminds me of what I felt when I wrote it, it does not necessarily reflect what I feel today. 
   One must realize, too, that when reading poetry, the desire is to connect on some level with what the poem is saying, and when one relates well, the tendency to do so is in the here and now. 
   Then, that which one writes ... what I write ... may afford a partial glimpse of who I am, but the whole of me remains impossible to see, or to even be glimpsed through mere words. 
   Yet, how truly wise we are when each one of us, who is gifted with the inherent talent of self-expression, comes to realize that we are rare and unique, indeed; especially, if we are fortunate in faithfully and honestly following this legacy. 
   For instance, if poetry were to try and express the full measure of the man in me; that it were to aspire to embrace the totality of my essence, it would be but a very weak reflection of the man/the person I am ... a misty shadow, if you will. 
   Poetry, may then well become but a very weak pursuit for a man and for a woman, but not now, and not in the life and skin in which I live; for, whether all that pours forth from my pen to page comes from some place fanciful or factual, it all originates from something I've lived, learned, dreamed, or deeply and characteristically (almost instinctively) understood within me ... a place as natural as breathing, or the quick, unaware blink of an eye, while the heart beats independently and the soul soars free on its own accord." 
 
   "I am not sure if this will adequately satisfy your question, Leona, but it is all for now I have to offer; yet, not all I know or feel for it, from it, or about it … " poetry, that is." 
 
 
Richard W. Jenkins
©1972


Today, I could offer more, but I can't say I feel any
significantly different now than I did in 1972.
Could be, I just need to grow-up ... LOL!

© 2022 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
As always, constructive critique (and praise) is welcome. : )

Some might or might not agree with this, or you may feel it went too far, did not go far enough, etc; also, I would love to hear your own Take On Poetry and/or where you think my responses in this interview may have gone awry. C'mon, friends, get involved here … I know we all have our own thoughts on poetry many would be interested in, and we might learn something new from each other, too, eh? : D

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thank you Richard for sharing your thoughts on writing and poetry.
" Poetry, may then well become but a very weak pursuit for a man and for a woman, but not now, and not in the life and skin in which I live; for, whether all that pours forth from my pen to page comes from some place fanciful or factual, it all originates from something I've lived, learned, dreamed, or deeply and characteristically (almost instinctively) understood within me ... a place as natural as breathing, or the quick, unaware blink of an eye, while the heart beats independently and the soul soars free on its own accord."
I did like the above lines. i dream write and I put to paper later. Some of us, we must write. I believe. We need someone to write down things about the world we lived in. To show the new generation. The struggles and the good days of the past. Thank you for the outstanding work.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

1 Year Ago

Thank you, John 🙏

Always, your keen, insightful ability to express appreciation, p.. read more
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

You are welcome my friend.



Reviews

I find it very interesting a teacher of poetry would post this. I look at it as if it were a interaction webinar of sorts. It is very thoughtful of you to do this my friend, it shows the passion you have for your craft.

My take on poetry is in some ways the same, in some different. To me poetry is much more than mere communication in words, it is expressing of emotion, or discription in artful manner. In my case I also use it at times as an outlet. A personal form of therapy. Writing has a way of calming after a long night on the Vegas Strip ...
Thank you sharing your knowledge.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Ah, Monsieur Boileau,
Yes, I agree, an advertisement of sorts, in as much that I thought othe.. read more
Interesting observations on the human spirit and the way we communicate through poetry. It is the ability to make others feel get in touch with their own feelings in a way empathize with a piece by connecting to it through their own experiences to evoke emotions through similarity

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Tate Morgan

6 Years Ago

LOL I ant say i ever remember getting an answer to a comment a year after the fact. Nice to hear fro.. read more
Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Yes, the site does not always notify me I have a review, Tate; thus, I am left to come across them a.. read more
Tate Morgan

6 Years Ago

Nice to hear from you
i really like this, Richard...i feel that melanie was right when she sang "i am not a poet, living is the poem"

and we are all works in progress...revisions over and over again...

we are all poetry and poetry is us...

such a good piece of writing here...

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Jacob,
Who knows why this site notifies of some reviews, and not others?
I mean, you'v.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

hey Richard...

lots of lines of Melanie's are perfect for poets...she is one for sure.. read more
I think poetry is a method of writing or speaking that people enjoy reading or listening to, like an inspiring speech or a song; maybe thoughts dancing around each other or building to a pleasant climax.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

mattavelli

8 Years Ago

Whats your favorite poem, Richard?
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Matt,
I have many favorite poems, but there are two standouts that come to mind:

read more
Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

Matt,
I wrote you a very nice answer, but for some reason, it is not accessible.
I wil.. read more
Are you saying the poet is your alter ego?
The poet is not exactly you in the day to day but rather, someone you become when in the quiet of your mind.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

8 Years Ago

I am not saying anything like that at all … it is definitely me, and the explanation of what this .. read more
Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

I think you may well be right about me, too, Africa. : )

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

752 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on July 6, 2015
Last Updated on September 1, 2022

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic