Woodsprite ⁓ (gentle fantasy)

Woodsprite ⁓ (gentle fantasy)

A Poem by Richard🖌
"

Villanelle: One I selected for you from the archives.

"

 photo WOODSPRITE_zpszgk12o2t.jpg

                             1st Place Winner
                                                          
                    Blue Rose Villanelle Contest

© 2022 Richard🖌


Author's Note

Richard🖌
"VILLANELLE"

The Villanelle is Italian (later French), feminine of villanello ‘rural', diminutive of villano ‘peasant'. A form of Italian part-song originating in Naples in the 16th century, in rustic style with a vigorous rhythm.
Each line ends in a rhyme, either "A1" “a” "A2" or “b” with "A1" and "A2" rhymes repeated as refrains; each line is of the same syllable count, and that count is of the writer's choosing … I chose 10 syllables (5 poetic feet) in iambic pentameter, for a nice flow and even tempo; the lines are composed in five Tercets (3 line verses) and a concluding Quatrain (4 line verse), giving the Villanelle 19 total lines.

A1 = Exact Repeat Refrains
a = End Line Rhymes with A1, A2, and all other a's
b = End Line Rhymes with all other b's
A2
 = Exact Repeat Refrains

Thus, the end line rhymes and Refrain repetitions are as follows:
Verse 1: A1 b A2

Verse 2: a b A1
Verse 3: a b A2
Verse 4: a b A1

Verse 5: a b A2

Quatrain: a b A1 A2

One of the most noted examples of the Villanelle form is Welsh poet Dylan Thomas’, “Do not go gentle into that good night”.
Try this form, have fun and enjoy the challenge … the beauty in the end is well worth the effort, and you'll be a better, more accomplished poet for it.

Please, feel free to critique my work, offering anything you feel will help improve it! ✍

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Love the ending. Eternal youth. You are a wordsmith of a caliber I've never been shot with. I've been wounded by Poe. Grazed by Frost. And took a shotgun blast from Gorman. But you hit my bullseye here in the heart of my brain. Please do take aim again!!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

2 Years Ago

Thanks for reading me again, Bill 👍

Your compliment is certainly appreciated … g.. read more



Reviews

At first I was skeptical, though now I see you did justice to the title of the poem! I love fantasy and favorite meter is villanelle. Worthy of Daniel Thomas himself.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Goodness, Cherie!
To mention my work and Daniel Thomas' in the same breath is more than an hu.. read more
Oh my, I'm in love with the theme of this poem. It is hard to follow a scheme and still keep such composure and sense. Kudos.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

6 Years Ago

Oh-MY!
Thank you, dear Courtney!
It is such a pleasure to receive lovely words of prai.. read more
Truthfully, the above explanation of form is far too confusing to me. What I know, once reading the poem, is that it transported me to a place rich with beauty and delight, yet felt as though there was something hidden, mysterious, in spite of the golden aura, possibly, simply, that there's always another story to tell. I mean, what forest contains not shadows? So that I would advise the man! Or let his bliss be his demise! Such a lovely read. Thank you! In fondness, I.I.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Isabella, most warmly and gratefully! : )
Indeed, this one of the more complicated.. read more
Isabella Ivy

7 Years Ago

Yes, do! (Let me know) I can usually, eventually figure it out comparing instruction and example. An.. read more
your title drew me as i have a Celtic heritage ... (among others) i think i tried this form once ..or something similar ..i must see if i can find it ..i think it was a collaboration with Zahra the Magnificent ;) the lilting dance and positive magic runs throughout ... i must disagree with CD (your featured comment) CD ...there really fairies ... no doubt about it ... one actually tattooed itself on me arm ;)
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

roinnimid Bráithreachas sin ! (we share a brotherhood then ...Gaelic) ;)
Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Yes, Y Frawdoliaeth Gaeleg ein bod yn rhannu, "the Gaelic Brotherhood that we share" … You the Iri.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

hootin' an' a-hollerin' all the way!!!!! :)
A very fine Villanelle, Richard. Your archaic use of words fit the subject matter exquisitely. The one gripe I do have is that as a grown man you should know there is no such thing as woodsprites, fairies, bogeyman, trolls, etc. LOL. All in all, this was read as light verse masterfully done. Look forward to reading more of your work. CD

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Thank you for reading this one, CD,
I really enjoyed your entertaining comments on it!
.. read more
1. The imagination amazing I could see her dancing in your hand.
2. The language I love it cause it brings the essence of the dream land together.
3. The font truly fits this poem so does The photo.
4. You may oh get complaints from younger readers who do not understand the words.
5. You catch all elements in this piece bravo

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Dear Raylene! : )

You've warmed and brightened my day, bringing joy, enco.. read more
Raylene

7 Years Ago

Anytime my dear Richard
As always beautiful work, My mind hides behind a tree and peeks out to see the visions you painted with your words..
I enjoy the way you break it down for us, so we all have the opportunity to learn the forms of poetry.
Thank you for sharing so much..


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Hi, Renée … thank you ever-so warmly for your playfully sweet review! : )
I love how you .. read more
Renée

7 Years Ago

It was my pleasure Mr. Richard. I am quite fond of the fantasy world and beautiful poetry. Beren and.. read more
A beautiful poem in both presentation and subject matter -- it has a light, airy feel, exactly the way a poem of such subjects should.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Thank you, KL! : )
Your grasp and praise of this unusual bit of romantic whimsy are so warml.. read more
The line describing the birdsong in the air absolutely stood out because it painted a picturesque forest where the fairies and wood sprites live. It is very much like a Christopher Marlowe poem like the Shepherd's poem to the nymph.

Now this poem to me has a meaning of a longing for someone or something that we want, stolen our hearts, but it is somehow out of reach. Sometimes we long for things long into our old age and still cannot reach it. It is like the poem "The Goblin Market" by Christina Rosetti where in her poem, describes a girl who tasted the fruits from the market and longs for it again, even on the point of even losing her life. Overall, I love how this poem reflects a longing for dreams and things.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Lady Poet, and welcome to my pages! 😃
Your praise and appreciation truly inspir.. read more
GalaxyGhost

7 Years Ago

You are welcome!
This is a wonderful Vilanelle. You make it appear so simple. Repeating a line in a poem and still being able to continue with the flow is amazing. I have tried my hand at it and believe me it is one of the difficult forms of poetry.
This poem has taken us on a beautiful fairy tale ride.
"You write and your words...they stole my heart away."

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

Dear Shabeeh,
Coming from a poet of your skills, your words of praise and appreciation for th.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2243 Views
41 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 11, 2015
Last Updated on April 3, 2022

Author

Richard🖌
Richard🖌

Houston, TX



About
~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~··~ ~·&.. more..

Writing
Pic Pic

A Poem by Richard🖌



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..