The Rise

The Rise

A Chapter by S.S.SeekerStar

Noah


The Sky was bright with the mid-day rising sun and the crowd in the arena roared with excitement. I gripped my phase-blade as sweat created a line across the dirt and sand on my face. None of the other competitors moved from their various positions. The Commissioners must have changed the weather setting in the arena because the wind speed rose and sand began to whip around our feet.

I was fine with the sand however because that's all Colorado is now, Sand and rubble. I was lucky for once, the Hell-Divers finally brought their recruiting competition here. "-And Last but not least," The announcer cut into my thoughts. "The only competitor with a handmade phase-blade, Noah Crimstone." The Stadium cameras moved in for a close-up and I flashed them a toothy grin. Better for them to think that I'm eager for fun than anything. My Spiked Black hair popped in contrast to the white jacket I was wearing. "Now then, this is the last round a three-man match, and our last competitor has been introduced, so without further ado let the competition begin!"

As soon as the last word flew from the announcer's mouth a laser flew past my face burning any stubble that I had growing there off. I rolled away to a nearby rock for cover and clicked the ignition button on my phase-blade. The Dull hum resonated around me the usual twelve second ignition period had to start.I waited for a moment and flipped over the rock and planted a kick with my boot in the rifleman's face. Using the momentum is vaulted up to a low hanging rafter and grinned as my phase-blade lit up with its red glow.

I braced myself for one more jump and as I did a sharp pain erupted from my shoulder and side, knocking me off of the rafter. One tip for you, Getting shot by a laser and then falling on the same shoulder hurts a lot. The world spun and the crowd’s cheers were replaced by a constant ringing. Concussion, I thought. I rolled as quickly as I could and saw my attacker reach for his laser pistol. I wasn't planning on going for the rifleman yet, but he'd taken cover somewhere anyway. I pointed my ring at the second opponent and squeezed. The sharp whine of a laser flew through the air. When I felt the blood on my finger and didn't hesitate. We aren't meant to, Hell-Divers have to be killers, and my opponent knew the risk. I bent down and snatched my sword up just as a laser-rifle pulse flew past me. I looked around and caught the glint of a scope. Five seconds, I thought. It was a standard-issue military rifle and five seconds had to pass before it could fire again. I started to sprint towards them my ring still warm from the blast earlier. About 70 yards away. I pushed my legs to the limit feeling them burn with the exhaustion of being shot and the fall from the rafters above. Three seconds before he could fire again, no doubt that he had me directly in his sights and I still had 30 yards to cover. Two seconds, I heard the distinct chime of my ring in my head, it was ready to fire again. Only one problem, He could fire in a second. I had to fix the situation, the sand crunched under my feet as I closed the distance, 18 yards the max distance for my ring is 6. That was it! The sand, I swept my Phase-blade across the sand bringing a cloud up and possibly into the view of my attacker. I was close enough to him that I could hear the hum of his rifle, reaching for the sound I squeezed the small emblem on the ring.

I was rewarded with a cry of pain, I'd hit them but not in a vital area. Sliding under the rising cloud and on the glass that was sand. I saw my opponent's legs and swept them from under him with my leg. Their face, not a bit a fear not even anger. Happiness? I raised my sword to strike a fatal blow, Then it hit me, The hum wasn't his rifle it was a pulse grenade! I couldn't do anything to stop it either. I wrapped my jacket around me just as the blast went off. The heat shook me to the core I knew my arm or more had to be gone. I looked around the wobbling world and down at my arm. Not only was my arm gone it had been blown completely off. The heat from the explosion cauterized it. My body screamed in pain until the nanites in my wring traveled to the wound and dulled it.  I sat up and the crowd roared. Why? There was one competitor left. I craned my neck up and the pain shot through my skull. Upon the competitor-board was one name, Mine.


After the match, I was escorted into the Doctor’s office to see what they could do about my arm. The old Doctor shuffled around his office. “Got your arm blown off eh’ lucky for you I have a first Generation Cybernetic arm, it's gonna cost you though.” “Why is it going to cost me, you senile old man? I just won the Hell-Diver Tournament!” The man shook his head. “I'm not affiliated with the Hell-Divers, You need a new arm so its gonna cost you.” I tried to cross my arms but as you could guess its kinda difficult with an arm and a seared stump. “Alright, but what’s the price?” The old man smiled and tapped the side of his skull, I want your left eye.” I nearly fell out of the chair and gawked at him. “My Eye? What are you a black market dealer?” The Doctor put a jacket and some gloves on. “Exactly and Crimson colored eyes are very rare especially among Human people as yourself.” He snapped the gloves and grabbed a sedative needle. “Don't worry when you wake up you’ll have another eye.”

The door to the med bay opened up as the doctor closed in with the needle. “That won’t be necessary Doctor.”  A Tall Man wearing a full Black Mask walked in trailed by another, A girl holding a clipboard. “This boy’s arm will be paid for by the Hell-Diver Association.”  The Doctor dropped the needle down into the tray and pouted. “I never get to do anything fun.”

The Masked man picked up my new arm and lifted me off the table. “Just who are you kid. Nobody uses phases swords anymore, they’re impractical especially when you have to close in on your target. So, how exactly did you survive the tournament?”   The girl with the clipboard nodded, according to my calculations you should have died within minutes, but you managed to close in on your opponents and lay waste to them, and my calculations are never wrong.” “Who is she?” I asked, “And why is she treating me like some science project?” The Masked man laughed. “My apologies, My name is Ezekiel and that is Eve, she is an outstanding Diver with excellent cognitive ability. I brought her along here to evaluate all of the Divers, she immediately stated that you would be the first to fall in the tournament.” She nodded and crossed something out on the clipboard. “That’s a bit rude don’t ya think?” I asked. Ezekiel handed my jacket back to me. “Don’t mind her she just hates being proved wrong, If you’ll follow me we’ll get your arm fixed up at the Outpost.” 

 “Wait you’re taking me to the Outpost?”

“You know about it?”  

    I pulled my jacket over my shoulder and followed him out of the hall.   “I know all about it, the Outpost is just a standard hell-diver frigate or so it seems but it's more capable than any other frigate, Equipped with two twin hydro-fusion drives it's the fastest ship in the fleet, and it's said the only one who pilots it is a Man by the Callsign, BlackStar.” Ezekiel laughed as I took a breather after spewing all of that info at him. “You sure your not a Hell-Diver’s kid?” Eve coughed and Ezekiel opened the Outpost’s hangar. “Inside you’ll find our ship’s medic, Cyril, she’ll help you out with that arm.



© 2020 S.S.SeekerStar


Author's Note

S.S.SeekerStar
So that's the first chapter, Moved then Revised and Revised.-

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

23 Views
Added on April 16, 2020
Last Updated on April 16, 2020


Author

S.S.SeekerStar
S.S.SeekerStar

Culpeper, VA



About
You don't need to know me.My writing; know you should. more..

Writing