Cameron

Cameron

A Chapter by RissaG

Cameron

          I watched the light fade across the wall as the sun when down and then watched as it slowly crept back across the wall as the sun rose through the broken window that was ten feet off the ground. I don’t know who slept, but I definitely didn’t. That word kept jumping around in my mind, a word that was just supposed to be something out of books and movies and video games, it wasn’t supposed to exist. But it did, zombies are a reality. A fucked up, crazy, sickening reality. I wonder how many people will live through this, if any at all.

          I looked over at Snow who was leaning into Tobias now and not Ryan, a strand of now straight black hair hanging in her face, swaying as she breathed. I sighed and cracked my knuckles, stretching my arms.

          My brother is dead. He was shot by Tobias two days ago. I haven’t slept since then, I know because I watched the sun rise and set through the broken little window. I watched the green light on the camera that is watching us blink on and off continuously. I wonder if Sam would have gone insane by now. No, Sam was always more sensible. He would be trying to calm everyone and keep them calm.

          I searched the room for another pair of blinking eyes and made eye contact with Mason. I think he’s going a little insane, he’s been rocking back and forth for a while now. I looked up at the camera with the blinking green light, expecting them to call another group of two out into the maze. I snorted at the thought.

          “How cliché…” I shook my head, still laughing a bit. I didn’t expect Ryan to reply from across the room.

          “What’s cliché?” He said, his voice scratchy. Ashley was slung under his arm, her head in his lap. Brotherly love, I guess.

          “This. Making a real life video game, there’s been shows and s**t about this.” I look at Ryan as he places his hand on Ashley’s head almost protectively.

          He shrugs and stares at something on the ground. “I guess so…” Others were starting to wake up now, including Ashley. They rubbed their eyes, stretched, and yawned, blinking before frowning and realizing they were still trapped in this hell.

          “I want to go home…” I heard Ashley whisper to Ryan. I looked at them and he was frowning and putting her hair behind her ear. I shook my head at Tobias who seemed to move on awfully quick from his girlfriend’s death. He sat close to Snow, watching her as she whispered something to him. Maybe he was just heartbroken enough that he was just spacing out.

          When everyone was awake, the intercom went off with the usually cocky, cheery voice hidden behind a bunch of controls and wires.

          “Good morning players... How did those of you that slept, sleep? I think it’s time to play our game you’ve now known as Die to Live thanks to your friend, Bria. She figured it out and told you all. Well, we’ve added new thrills and obstacles. If your wrists have a glowing number two on them, well, let’s just say one of you will have to die so the other can live”

          There was a gasp and then a sob as Bria’s name was mentioned and a louder sob as the intercom cut out. I took a deep breathe, trying to stop the shaking in my hands, and turned my hand over so my palm was facing up. I looked at the glowing blue number on my wrist and bit my tongue, holding back a strangled sob. I am number two, and it’s my turn to play.

          I blinked back tears as I pushed myself up and away from the wall, every inch of me shaking in fear. It’s okay to cry, no one will judge you anymore. But I refuse to cry. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and looked over as Maddy stood up, trembling.

          “Mads…” I wanted to tell her I wouldn’t let her die for me but I could barely get her nickname out. I won’t let her die. I will not let her die. I don’t want to let her die but would I die for her? I don’t think I would even though I grew up with everyone in this room, including her.

          She looked at me, crying, what’s left of her make up running down her cheeks slightly. Little black streaks, only noticeable if you’re looking for them. She crossed her arms and shook her head, her blonde hair moving as she did. She’s pretty but that doesn’t mean anything now. I won’t die for her… she has already accepted death but I don’t know how strong she is. She played soccer, volleyball, and softball for our high school… She could be fast and strong and be trying to hide it by acting weak.

          I turned away from her and looked at the metal door, ignoring her chocked sobs. It’s probably made of steel. I need to distract myself. I heard a buzzing noise as the sound of a vault being unlocked as I approached the door. Maddy cried a little louder as I pushed the door open and stepped out into the hall.

          “You have to come out one way or another Maddy. Either you come out with me or whoever is running this will come down in those same black suits they took us in and drag you out.” I looked at her since she didn’t move a step until I started talking. She reluctantly stepped out into the hall and I looked at her as I swung the door closed.

          The door buzzed again and locked, separating me from that little room of safety. Who knows what’s out here? They said they added “thrills” and obstacles…

          “You know we have to split up if it’s really like the game like they say it is.” Maddy looked at me, wiping her eyes with the heels of her palms. She was still trembling, but no longer sobbing. Her voice hinted hiccups that will come from crying.

          “Yeah…” I cleared my throat and looked down the two hallways. “I… Uh…” I looked back at her, trying to find something to say, but nothing came. She just shook her head and hugged me before turning and walking down the hall to my left quickly. I could hear her footstep echoes start into a jog and then a run as she got further away.

          Gulping, I turned down the right hallway and started in a slow jog, no idea where I was even going.

          “Follow you gut” There was a voice in my ear but no one was near me.

          I snorted, “Did you guys decide to play surgeon and put mics in all our ears?” I hadn’t even noticed that there was something in my ear, but now I can feel the warm metal. There was a small, sarcastic chuckle from the other end.

          “No, kid, just keep walking and keep an eye out so you don’t die in the f*****g maze”

          I shook my head but kept walking, almost aimlessly, down the halls of the maze. A left turn here, a right one there. Never any dead ends. I stopped dead in my tracks as I rounded a corner and heard a growl. There was a dog chained to the wall in front of me, but this dog wasn’t really a dog. It looked like a German Shepard except for the milky yellow, slightly blue eyes and the patches of fur missing where it showed the rotten looking flesh beneath. The dog barked and growled, pulling against the rusty metal chain, trying to kill me.

          I stood for a second, watching the chain bend beneath the dog’s force, before running back down the hall, shaking with fear. Oh f**k, oh f**k, oh f**k. I’m going to die if that thing gets loose.

          Just as I think it, I hear the snapping of metal, the sound of metal falling against concrete, and the sound of claws scraping against the ground as I look back, tripping and falling on the ground. I gasp as the cement takes the breath out of me, the dog finding me and running closer.

          “Maddy! Mads! Help! It’s got me, I’m going to die!” I sobbed and screamed for Maddy as the dog bit my leg, it’s teeth only catching my jeans. It dragged me a few feet before it let me go after a few kicks to the face. I screamed as it jumped on me, threatening to rip my face off, before I grabbed it around the neck and squeezed until I could get on top of it. I held it in a headlock, the undead dog struggling to get free, struggling to sink it’s teeth into me.

          There was a sharp crack as it struggled and I squeezed, the dog suddenly falling still as if asleep. I dropped it and fell back on my a*s, scooting away from it screaming and terrified.

          “Get your a*s up! You’ve got a game to finish!” That voice was in my ear again, demanding things that I’m not sure I’m capable of anymore.

          “I can’t! I can’t do this!” I looked around, hoping to see a camera or something that I could look at besides the dead dog on the ground. I don’t care that I’m crying and shaking worse than ever now.

          “Yet you can Two, get up now!” I flinched as the voice screamed into my ear, leaving a ringing noise behind. I forced my trembling body up, following the hushed directions that the voice was saying into my ear. I didn’t register that I was running until I ran into the room that the voice described.

          A simple room with two metal tables and two black boxes on top of each. Maddy was at her box fumbling with the latch as I opened mine and held up the black handgun that was within it. I looked at Maddy as I held it aimed straight for her. I will not die for her. Not after coming this far.

          It wasn’t until she got her box open and held her gun up to face mine that she started crying again. “Cameron! Don’t do this, you can be with Sam again!” She bit her lip after she said again and wiped the tears from her eyes hastily.

          I felt a pang in my heart that spread throughout my body as she mentioned Sam. “You shut up Maddy! He wouldn’t want that!” I ignored the tears spilling from my eyes, momentarily blurring my vision of her. She stepped closer and I dropped to the floor, hiding behind the metal table. “Stop! Stop! Maddy, stop!” I screamed as she walked closer. I stood up again and aimed my gun on her again.

          She shook her head and mouthed “I’m sorry” as she pulled the trigger, the slight recoil tacking her by surprise, throwing off her aim and embedding the bullet into the concrete wall.

          “F**k!” Maddy shouted as she pulled the trigger again, only receiving a click signaling that the gun was empty. She dropped it and held her hands up, backing up. “Cam… You don’t have to shoot me. Don’t shoot me… please don’t shoot me…” She had started crying again. I will not die for her.

          “Stop Maddy!” I held the gun steady with both hands and fired, watching as she screamed and clutched her right arm seconds later. She collapsed to her knees, and I stared horrified at the blood pouring out of her arm. It took me several second to register the voice in my ear telling me to get the f**k out of there now. I did not die for her.

          I threw the gun across the room and sprinted through the open door, back to the little room of safety. I can survive until the end of this. I will survive until the end of this.



© 2014 RissaG


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
Added on May 17, 2014
Last Updated on May 17, 2014


Author

RissaG
RissaG

~~~, IL



About
My name is Clairissa. I go by Claire and Rissa. I love to write and read and I plan on being an author. I have always loved reading and I always will. Though I do have a ereader I do like to have re.. more..

Writing
Home Again Home Again

A Story by RissaG


113 Hours 113 Hours

A Story by RissaG


April Showers April Showers

A Story by RissaG