Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Rosaliine

The man looked up from the desk as the woman walked into the room. She appeared to be triumphant about something. "What is it?" He asked. The woman placed a folder on the desk and the man opened it. "These are just two little girls! They will not help us win this year. You know how important it is for us to win this year." They had always come in the bottom three for the last four task groups they had had over the last eight years of working together. Each task group was given two years, however, they had often failed to pass the first six months. If they did not come in the top three this year, they would be terminated. The woman sighed and shook her head. She separated the contents of the folder into two piles. She pointed to the smaller pile of paper first.

"This is Elizabeth Mary Simms. Her..." she paused searching for the right word. "...current situation makes her ideal for this." The man seemed doubtful as he sifted through the photos and paperwork.

"I don't know... is this the one who's been here a week with the drug dealer ex and all the cash? She looks small and weak. It's pure luck and coincidence that she got away from him. She can't help us. I don’t even understand why she’s here..." The woman slammed her hand on the desk in frustration.
"Would you just trust me for once?!" The man leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.
"Who's the bigger pile? You seem to have a lot about her." He nodded towards the other, much larger stack of paper.
"This is Vanessa Victoria Winters." 
"She sounds posh and like she would be missed..." The man began.
"She's quite the opposite. She is also very much alone. I've been tracking her for six years and have only just been presented the opportunity to recruit her tonight." The woman started spreading out a few photos. "She's twenty-two and her biggest strength is her ability to survive."

"How do you know that?"
"Through the six years I've been tracking her, I've seen her get out of numerous situations and then she vanishes for several months. She does not appear to have many belongings, she's always wearing running shoes, a leather jacket and I think she has a gun and she appears to be able to drive anything with an engine. She has a large amount of military knowledge due to her brother-"
"Thought you said Veronica was alone." The man interrupted.
"Vanessa." The woman corrected. "And her brother is M.I.A." She pointed to the military form amongst the paperwork. "As I was saying, from what I have found of her school records she has high intelligence."
"There's more photos than paperwork..."
"That's my point." The woman said smiling. "She's hardly got a paper trail. Almost as if she doesn't exist."
"What makes you so sure she will turn up if her biggest instinct is to survive? Why would she trust a stranger?"
"Her biggest weakness is curiosity. It's what gets her into situations that she needs to survive. She thrives on her ability to survive. She's a natural fighter and survivor as if it's all she's been programmed to do. She doesn't run."
"You lost track of her several times. Doesn't that count as running?" The woman frowned. She hated when he continually questioned her judgements.

"She's always stayed in the city as far as I can tell. She strikes back where it hurts but she takes the time to plan it. She doesn't run, she just goes into stealth mode." The man said nothing else. "Well, who do you have?" She finally stated angrily. This time she crossed her arms.
"Jackson Lucas Lavetti and Ricky Gordon Matthews." This was all the information he gave up.

"Lavetti?" The woman questioned, slightly shocked.
"Just trust me," The man winked; mocking her outburst from earlier. "If Veronica is as good as you think she is, the two of them will win this for us."

"Vanessa." The woman corrected automatically, sighing and gathering up her paperwork. From what she'd heard about Lavetti he was very similar to Vanessa in the way he thought, however his values and beliefs were very very different and she knew that the two of them were more likely to kill each other than work together. This meant half the team would probably be dead before they even started their task or by some miracle they might at least make it half way through the first task... There was a knock on the door and she glanced at the computer screen showing the camera above the front door. This was it.    



© 2016 Rosaliine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

As always, you really know how to set the scene. I love how your stories always drop the reading into the middle of things without an introduction or explanation. It leaves the reader guessing as to what is going on, and by feeding them little pieces of information through dialogue and events, they have to piece the story together themselves.

I like the idea of some secret organization that is recruiting young adults for God knows what. Really curious to see how this will turn out, and what their goals are.

Some grammar things I noticed:

"Well who do you have?"
I would add a comma after "well", since it's natural to pause after that in this kind of sentence.

"The Man looked up from the desk as the woman walked in the room."
"in the room" should be "into".

Also, you capitalized "Man" the first two times, but you didn't do so in the rest of the chapter. I don't think it's needed to write it with a capital M, so I would change that for the sake of consistency.

"Would you just trust me for once."
I would use a question mark here instead of a period, since it's clearly a question. But at the same time she's frustrated and probably shouting, so you could also go for a "?!", which is like the combination of both. It's a weird punctuation mark with its own rules, but I think it could fit here. But a regular question mark would be fine too, whatever you prefer.

'"Just trust me" The man winked.'
You're missing a comma or period after "me".

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


That was great! I'm so going to keep reading...and Vanessa really got me hooked. Great job!!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


I loved this chapter, it kept my attention, and made me eager for more. There were a few minor grammatical errors, though that you might want to take a look at. But besides that, I really liked it, good job! :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like how you keep us informed but dont give us enough info. I would definately love to read more

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


i like how you keep us informed but dont give us enough info. I would definately love to read more

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


I like the way in which this is executed...the dialogue is realistic and engaging...look forward to more love...good to read you today :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello Rosa, I enjoyed this draft very much, your a natural storyteller, you grips your readee and
Never let go. Introducing the main character in this manner is a different amd difficult approach.
Writing about the body language and emotional traits of the sub characters are well express
all in all it looks like a fast wright and could use some more descriptive words/ direction about the
Setting. The dialogues are awesome, very cool. Thanks EG

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

349 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 22, 2016
Last Updated on September 19, 2016


Author

Rosaliine
Rosaliine

United Kingdom



About
I love reading and I thought I would have a go at doing some writing of my own. I am currently at college so I'll have to juggle my college work and putting up new chapters :p My favourite genre is .. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Rosaliine