Chapter two -Vanessa

Chapter two -Vanessa

A Chapter by Rosaliine

I was sitting in my apartment with the stereo blasting my music out as loud as possible; so loud in fact that I almost didn't hear the knock at the door. Glancing at the clock and frowning before uncrossing my legs and taking my combat boots off the glass coffee table; I began to wonder who could be home at two in the afternoon. None of my neighbours should be home at this time of day, they were either working or had college or university. I gently placed the book I'd been reading next to my glass of wine on the coffee table and listened even more carefully for anything that would help me identify who might be behind the knock at my door. I made a detour to the kitchen to grab the large steak knife before answering the door. I put the chain on, not that it would do much good other than continuing my existence for a few more seconds but I was more likely to survive that way than if I looked through the peep hole and came face to face with a shotgun. That was a nasty way to go and it really pissed you off too... Double checking the chain, I opened the door as far as the chain would allow. A smart, professional looking woman was standing there. I didn't say anything, just stood there staring. She appeared to be uncomfortable. I smiled slightly, mostly at her lack of confidence. "Can I help?" I finally asked. It was evident she wasn't going to talk first but then a thought occurred to me. "If Jesse sent you..." 
"Jesse didn't send me. Who is Jesse?" My grip tightened on the knife I held behind the door. It was in my left hand which was not my dominant hand but I could still cause an individual a serious enough injury with this hand if necessary. Survival was key.
"No one, what do you want?" I said with a little extra force and emphasis on each syllable than required. 
"I am here to recruit you. We would like you to become part of a team of individuals who have certain... Skill sets." I laughed. 
"Skill set? If you want me to exterminate certain individuals then that's a no." I was about to shut the door in her face when she stuck her foot in the door; surprising me with her sudden movement; her quiet composure has temporarily made me feel relaxed around her and causing me to not be defensive. I smiled slightly to myself; this would not be a mistake I would make again. 
"Please, you're our last chance. We need you." She handed me a card. "Please just think about it at least? You'll need to bring a bag with you" She then left. I stood there for a minute before closing the door and retreated to the lounge, putting the knife on the table as well. I poured more wine into my glass and began to drink from it. I stared at the plain white business card and its small black print, turning it over to read the other side. The more I stared, the more curious I became. This was a weakness of mine. If I became curious about something I'd have to find out more about it and then probably end up dying in the process; which was not a very good habit to have in a world where survival was vital. Pulling out my phone and typing in the address that was on the front of the card I discovered it was a small bed and breakfast about twenty minutes walking distance from here. For some reason this increased my curiosity even more. S**t. This was not going to end well. I took another sip from my glass only to realise it was all gone. I tipped the bottle to find that empty as well. Groaning, I stood and took the empty bottle to the kitchen, turning the stereo off as I passed it before opening the fridge and looking at its contents; two more bottles of wine, three bottles of vodka and a bottle of jägermiester and no food. I grabbed another bottle of wine and popped it open before returning to the lounge. I looked around my apartment that had barely anything furnishing it. How had this woman found me? That annoyed me most of all. I'd done so well covering my tracks over the last six years only to have someone ruin it by knocking on the door. Some people really didn't appreciate hard work did they? I sat down heavily on the sofa and picked up the card. There was a time and date. Today's date in fact and the time was eleven o'clock tonight. I sighed. I could still keep this place... It wasn't like anyone else had found me... Yet. My mind began to wander backwards through the years I had been doing this for; trying to see where I had slipped up somehow. I was brought back to reality by the bark of my husky; Nimbus. He sat there staring at me and wagged his tail when he saw he had my full attention. 
"Come on, I just sat down..." I glanced at the clock. It was now four in the afternoon. Oh; my bad. "Fine. Walk then food. Sound good?" He just looked at me with his tongue hanging out. "Why do you never respond?" I asked. Perhaps it was because I was a crazy girl talking to a dog. Picking up his lead and walking to the door, I could hear his claws tapping on my wood flooring as he followed me. 

It was half past ten. I had decided to allow my curiosity to get the better of me. I looked at myself in the mirror and saw my short, but not too short, self staring back at me. Ugh. My hair was a tangled mess of various shades of reds and browns and the rare blonde strand, but I liked to think of it more as an autumn coloured organised mess to make myself feel better. My eyes contrasted themselves as they were the brightest of darkest greens and I kind of liked them but they were remarkable and more importantly memorable which was problematic for someone with a goal of not being noticed. I was also wearing a green low cut top with black skinny jeans and my combat boots. The final piece to my 'leave me the hell alone or I'll kill you' look, was my leather jacket and I couldn’t help but release a confident smile that my look came together as ‘sexy but dangerous as hell.’ "Nimbus!" I called, whistling afterwards. The pitter patter of his claws could be heard as I turned off most of my electrical items. I then locked the door and we set off on our twenty minute adventure down the road. 

I knocked on the door and the same woman answered. She looked down at Nimbus, who was panting away, and opened her mouth to say something but I beat her too it. "It's me and the dog or neither." She sighed and opened the door wider. The place looked too homely and comfortable that it was obviously a cover up; everything was a little too perfect. At least to me it was anyway. "You know you've over done the cover up? Should probably have a few broken things that you should constantly be getting around to mending to make it look more normal... maybe tear the wallpaper a little or have a curtain half hanging off. That sort of stuff; you know?" I said, turning to now face a man as well as the woman, he had appeared from nowhere, or so it seemed until I noticed a door that was the same colour as the wallpaper but slight cracks around the edge. A hidden door? Interesting. D****t, why did I have to be so curious? I bit my tongue to keep from mentioning it. I did not want to annoy the people who could probably make my life extremely difficult if necessary. The man stood there arms folded as if he was inspecting me; which he probably was. He glanced at the woman, frowning. He doubted her choice in me. I could tell. Nimbus began growling and I let go of her lead a little so she could dart forward a few steps towards him. I laughed loudly and coldly as he jumped back. I did not like this man; he seemed arrogant and an overall a*****e, plus Nimbus wasn’t too keen on him either and I trusted Nimbus with my life. "I'll go settle myself in." The woman seemed to have trouble hiding the smirk she had on her face. A face appeared at the top of the stairs, obviously curious about the commotion. It belonged to a boy with black hair and grey eyes. He looked like a player and trouble. I would definitely stay away from him. Boys were the one thing I no longer got curious about. Too many lives wasted on different guys. I gave him a cold stare until he disappeared before proceeding to walk up the stairs to an empty room and shut the door a little too forcefully.



© 2016 Rosaliine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Just like I expected, you keep hinting at other information that the reader doesn't know yet. Like how Vannessa said "If Jesse sent you...", or "Too many lives wasted on different guys.". It makes you think about what is actually going on here. I always feel like there are so many more things I don't know, which makes me want to continue reading. Can't wait for the next chapter :)

I noticed the time was a bit unrealistic though. The woman knocked on her door at 2 pm. So she has a little talk with the woman, sits down, checks the address on her phone, grabs another bottle of wine and sits down again. Then it's suddenly 6 pm. A bit hard to believe that took 4 hours. Sounded more like half an hour to me, at most. Although since her glass and the bottle of wine were suddenly empty, that could signal she was daydreaming or lost in thought. If that's the case I would add something to let the reader know a long time has passed.

Some grammatical things:

"So loud in fact that I almost didn't here the knock at the door."
"here" should be "hear".

"I placed the book I'd been reading next to my glass of wine on the glass coffee table gently ..."
I would have put "gently" earlier in the sentence, between "I" and "placed". That seems to fit a little bit better to me.

"... if I looked through the peep hole and came face to face win a shotgun."
"win" should be "with".

"No one, what do you want."
I would use a question mark instead, since this is a question.

"It was half ten."
Did you mean "half past then", perhaps?

"You know you've over done the cover up."
Again, this seems like a question to me, so I would use a question mark.

Also I noticed you have a lot of sentences starting with "I". You might want to rearrange them a little because it sounds a bit repetitive. Especially when you've got several of them in a row.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Rosaliine

7 Years Ago

Thanks you! I have edited my work thanks to your suggestions! Sorry it took so long :p x
Lavorther

7 Years Ago

You're welcome. Don't worry about it, better late than never, right? ;)
Rosaliine

7 Years Ago

Haha yeahh that's true :p just finishing chapter 3 :) shall let you know when it's done x

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

262 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 27, 2016
Last Updated on August 30, 2016


Author

Rosaliine
Rosaliine

United Kingdom



About
I love reading and I thought I would have a go at doing some writing of my own. I am currently at college so I'll have to juggle my college work and putting up new chapters :p My favourite genre is .. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Rosaliine


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Rosaliine