5- Gwen- Home

5- Gwen- Home

A Chapter by Harley Rose

The drive home from Heidi's house was quiet. Too quiet for my liking. The roads were slick and I could hardly see anything. these were the kinds of days I would have turned up a sad song and embrace my loneliness but today I didn't feel quite as lonely. I actually felt like I had a friend. It was a new experience for me. Well, not completely new, sure I've had friends before but in middle school they all left me because I was 'a freak'. I was an 'outsider' to them. That's when I became a loner.
Everyone thought that talking to me was social suicide but now a girl had come. She didn't know about my past or the things they say about me. She talked to me and she smiled. She laughed with me, too. Maybe tomorrow I could talk to her again.
My phone rang. I saw it was my mom and picked it up.
"Where are you?" She sounded panicky.
"Calm down Mom. I gave one of my classmates a ride home. I'm almost there. I'll bet my ice cream that I'll be there in five minutes."
"Okay... Hurry home." I heard the click of her hanging up.
I began messing with the radio to, hopefully, find a good song to keep me company. 
I was shaking with anticipation. I think I have a friend. This is a new feeling. Excitement? 
I pulled into the driveway and turned off my car. I sat there for a moment in the silence thinking about the events that lead up to now. 
All the lights but the kitchen were off. Mom was eating a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream with chocolate syrup on top. It looked delicious. 
"Where's mine?" I asked with mouth watering anticipation.
"In the freezer. Leave room for dinner." Yes, we were the kind of family that ate dessert first. 
"When did yo get the chocolate syrup?" I asked around my ice cream.
"The store."
"No, you took it from an old lady," I said sarcastically. "Of course you got it from the store."
"If you already knew why ask?"
I sighed. "Never mind. Do you mind if I eat this in my room?"
"Go ahead. Just bring the bowl back."
 I ran up to my room, grabbed my laptop and went to YouTube, for the bliss of my choice in music. 
An hour later we ate dinner. Mac and Cheese. Yum. 
"Do you have any homework tonight?"
"No." Yes.
"Okay, but if I find out if you're lying to me again," She pressed.
"I promise." You won't find out.
"How was school?"
"Nothing happened." I made a friend.
"You were there all day. Something had to have happened."
"Oh yeah, I forgot. A giant purple poka-dotted elephant came it through the window during Algebra and asked to speak with a 'Ms. Fairy Princess', but Mrs. Hati, our teacher, told him he had the wrong place."
"You could have just said nothing interesting happened," she mumbled.
The rest of the night consisted of awkward conversation and reading until one in the morning. As I drifted to sleep, book still in my hand, I knew that I would have a dreamless sleep.



© 2013 Harley Rose


Author's Note

Harley Rose
What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sounds like a conversation I have with my mom. Every day.
"Do you have homework?"
......."No."

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Or: As I drifted to sleep, book still in my hand, I knew that I would have a dreamless sleep.
Harley Rose

11 Years Ago

Okay thanks
Wingless Fallen Angel

11 Years Ago

Yup!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
1 Review
Added on February 5, 2013
Last Updated on March 5, 2013


Author

Harley Rose
Harley Rose

Terabithia, Past The Bridge



About
I don't like drama or self centered people... I have a rather mature mind for my age so most subjects of conversations I'm used to, but if you message me, don't try and pull me into your drama. .. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Harley Rose