Chapter 4: A Man's Reach Should Exceed His Grasp

Chapter 4: A Man's Reach Should Exceed His Grasp

A Chapter by Roselynne

As they continue down the longer path, Helen cannot help but get the nagging feeling that she did something wrong by sending her brother away. This is pushed to the forefront of her mind as she suddenly-and painfully-is smacked across the face by a branch. She glares at the offending limb and almost yells at her brother for not moving it out of the way, but she quickly closes her mouth, all too aware of his absence.


Analise cannot stop herself from getting distracted by Helen's thoughts. She has been keeping her senses aware and on the lookout for any possible ambushes-mainly to appease Elliot's new found paranoia-and that just strengthened the impact of the negative emotions spewing from Helen. None of them had spoken a word to her-except for, of course, Elliot-since they found out about her lack of education, but all of these emotions were getting on Analise's nerves. "Helen," she says, and the girl turns around, more rage in her eyes than ever before.


Helen takes this opportunity to vent out all of her frustration on Analise. "What do you want? Actually, I don't care. You shouldn't even be here. You're a criminal, it's probably your own fault you got expelled I'll bet you're even violating everyone's minds as we speak. You should not be here." Helen only adds, 'especially since my brother isn't here,' in her mind, forgetting Analise would hear that too.


The negative energy drains out of Helen, allowing Analise to relax. She doesn't bother responding to her tirade, opting instead to press forward while the mental peace lasts. A sharp pain stings her side at the same time she senses another entity. Of course it wouldn't last long.


"Everyone in a circle," Elliot shouts, pulling out his sword. The group quickly follows his command, all five facing outwards. Helen and Francine draw their weapons-an ax and sword respectively-while Analise and Thomas prepare their combat magic.


Extending her mind sense, Analise finds no signs of whoever, or whatever, just attacked them. "I don't get it; there was no sign before they attacked and there's no sign of them now. They must be teleporting in, but why?"


Thomas notices the arrow stuck in her side. "Analise-"


Elliot cuts him off. "We're just out of range of the castle. This is the perfect spot to ambush us, as there is nowhere for us to run to. As you'll remember my favorite saying, we are some of the best and brightest of our age group, all coming from prominent families. Of course there will be a few assassins or mercenaries sent for us; as a matter of fact I'm surprised they didn't come sooner.


"Woah-Analise, there's an arrow sticking out of your side," Francine exclaims, having gotten bored and looked over.


The pain had gone as quickly as it appeared before, and Analise had gotten too caught up in the excitement to remember about the arrow; and now it had begun to glow. Elliot glances over before swearing under his breath. "Of course they'd have magic arrows. Can anyone else dismantle one?" At their silence, he swears again. "Alright, Ana, this isn't ideal but until we get out of our current mess, just keep using whatever magic you currently are. Don't up its strength any more than you to or think you can sustain; and I'm sure I don't have to tell you not to take it out." Analise nods, barely moving. "As of right now, do you sense anything?"


"As I said, no."


Francine speaks up. "Do you sense us? Can you feel our minds?" Though not wonderful in most theory classes, Francine was top of her offence ones, including magical weapons. If only she had actually paid attention to how to disarm them. After a moment, Analise shakes her head, going pale. "Prince Elliot, she won't be of any help until we get this thing out of her. No one else attacked us, so they may have left."


"No, they must know that something as simple as this would not stop us. They are waiting for us to let our guards down. Prince Elliot, do not fall into their trap." Helen glances at Analise, and she doesn't have to be read her feelings to get the picture.


After a moment of thinking, Elliot speaks up. "Alright, I've got a plan. Thomas, you're an illusionist; can you use your magic to make Analise remember the moment right before she got hit?" He gives a nod. "Good. On the count of three, you two move to the center and we'll cover you. There's only five of us, so it won't be very effective, but Analise, you might be able to figure out where they are. Alright-one, two-" The group moves as one, working surprisingly like clockwork.


"Could you please close your eyes? It will make this easier." Analise does as Thomas asks, and he places a hold over her closed eyes. "Relax, but keep sending the same amount of magic through the arrow. Give me control of your mind."




Another crossroads; how is Troy supposed to know which way they went? There are no footprints or any other way to tell which path the others took. Not for the first time, Troy wishes he had a map.


A small meow comes from behind him, and he turns on his heels. "Why are you still following me?" I told you, I don't have any food, much less anything I could give you." He turns back to the cross roads. If only he had paid more attention in his ancient history classes. The cat moves in front of him and stops just in front of the signs. Out of other options, Troy turns his face to the sky. "God and Goddess, please allow this cat to show me the way."


The cat looks at him for a moment its eyes shining with something similar to laughter. Just as Troy gives up on waiting for the cat to show him the way, she starts down one of the paths. With no better ideas, he follows her.




Analise opens her eyes. Everything is frozen in time, besides her and Thomas. "Can you use your mind sense now?" Although Analise is completely submerged within her memory, Thomas is in both places at once.


"Yes," She says, reaching into her mind. "I think-" She pauses, then nods. " There are five of them. They're all holding their positions. I can show you."


"No, just remember, alright? Well go back to the present, and Francine can give you her bow; do you think you could hit them?"


"I'm not sure. I can try."


"Bring her out," Elliot says to Thomas, and he complies. "Francine." She hands Analise her bow and five arrows. Analise loads one. Closing her eyes, she pulls up the memory of their locations. "Nice and easy, now."


Turning to her left, she lets the first one go. A soft thud hits the ground. She loads another arrow. This time she turns to the right. Thinking quickly, she loads another arrow, shooting them both off at the same time. Two more thuds. She opens her eyes. "The other three-" She pauses, before turning back to her left. Load, shoot, thud. "The last two, rather, have left."


"Did you get your mind sense back?"


"No, they were in plain sight."


Francine takes her bow back, strapping it behind her. "Two isn't bad. I can take them." She then stalks off before anyone can stop her.


"Helen?" Elliot doesn't have to finish the thought before Helen follows Francine. He turns to Analise. "So, are you ready to learn how to dismantle a magic arrow?"




Francine finally catches a glimpse of one of their attackers a few steps into the forest. When she hears footsteps behind her, she almost ends up shooting Helen. "Gods, be careful." She turns back around, aiming at one of the tree tops. She lets go and the arrow strikes the shadowy figure, and she walks up to the body when it falls.


"Who is it?" Asks Helen, eyeing the body suspiciously. It is covered by a black robe, any skin visible covered in strange tattoos.


"I don't know, but there's one more." Francine stalks off to find the last archer, but Helen remains behind, pulling the hood off of the body.


Its eyes are open-staring at her-and covered with a light blue, filmy glaze. Hearing a twig snap, Helen looks up towards the forest, though she knows it is probably just Francine. When she looks back down at the body, there's just empty space. She lets out an involuntary yell, piercing the silence around her.




Elliot and Analise sit on the ground, facing each other. "Close your eyes, and keep them closed, no matter what. Concentrate on your magic; feel it pouring into the arrow, slowly draining you. Set a portion of magic aside-just breathe, Ana, you'll be fine-set it aside, and slowly allow the arrow to take that magic instead. Keep breathing, and keep your eyes closed. I need you to relax as much as possible."


"Don't-" Analise pauses, her words stretched. "Don't take it out." Her breathing becomes quicker, as she begins to hyperventilate.


Elliot's eyes flash up to her closed ones; Thomas has to look away, not wanting to watch Analise so vulnerable. "I have to take it out."


He places a hand on her back. "Just breathe." Analise does not argue anymore, but nor does she relax. "Thomas, the barrier?"


"Right," he says, fumbling with establishing a sound proof shield. Pure magic was loud; he didn't want to attract any unneeded attention.




Walking through the woods, Troy startles when he hears a faint scream, followed by the soft whisper-chanting of his name, which started as soon as he chose which path to go down. Although he would have found this strange, but the words were spoken with such longing, he felt a pull to the voices; the scream, however, is a completely different story. After freezing for a moment, Troy realizes why the scream was so unsettling; the last time he heard it was when his sister found Roslina face down in the pond.


Troy and her were close; she was the embodiment of her element; as bubbly as a small spring, yet as ferocious as a waterfall. She may have been four years younger then, but her soul was as old as the trees surrounding their temple. Since that day, he vowed never to use any water magic along again. That was why he was so focused on wards, to; they let him save people.


A branch hits him in the face, and the cat-though he still isn't sue why she is following him-meows, snapping him out of his thoughts. He has to find his sister; as quickly as possible, too. "Alright, cat; we have to hurry up and find them." The cat makes a guttural meow, moving forwards faster. "That's the spirit."



© 2017 Roselynne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
Added on February 4, 2017
Last Updated on February 4, 2017