Chapter 7: Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

Chapter 7: Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining

A Chapter by Roselynne

"Why don't we start with what you want? You are the ones who sought us out." Analise crosses her arms, eyes still completely black.


"Can we speak to you in person, rather than through her?" Elliot asks, his sword still ready for action.


Analise smiles as the doors open behind her, revealing the many Elton gathered in the hall. "You are welcome to join us."


"As guests?" Sicily asks, having dealt with the Elton before and knowing you have to be very careful with your wording.


"Of course." She walks through the doors, sitting at one of the chairs, between Jordin and Troy. The blackness leaves her eyes, and the exhaustion of using so much mind magic forcing her to pass out.


Jordin is the one to speak, using his own version of mind magic. "Welcome to our humble abode. Now, take a seat. How can we help you?"


The group sits, all but Helen. She stares at Troy for a few moments. Her brother is so close, yet so far away. Francine grabs her arm, forcing her to sit. Elliot speaks up. "We have come to take Troy back with us."


"Sure. If Troy agrees. Well? What do you say Troy? Would you like to join us officially and change your name, or go back with your sister?"


Troy is silent for a moment before the door to the stairs bursts open. All attention is drawn to a girl with white hair and white eyes. "I have awoken."




The King opens a letter handed to him by a shape shifter-he never has trusted them, but he might as well accept their help. At the very least-as his wife loves to remind him-it looks good for the Kingdom.


'Dear King Cyril Bonne III, I have sent my most trusted messenger, Sicily Marlar of the Third Division, to meet your people by the crossroads. She will have arrived by the time this letter has reached you. With peace, Queen Opal of the Shanis of the Great Forten.'


The messenger quickly leaves once he has read the letter, and the King sits at his desk. There was not much more to be done. He knew his son would lead them well, and was confident that would be enough.




The primal sounds of celebration coming from the Elton cast a stark contrast to their sophisticated way of doing business; the fact that they could switch back and forth so quickly made them that much more terrifying. The girl holds her hand up, and they go silent. "Hello, guests, friends of Troy. I am Claetra, though I am older than her by many cycles.


"You may address me as the Tataen, the exploding light. From me, all darkness has sprung forth. Ellos and tallos, light and dark, interchangeable, one cannot be without the other. I have awoken to claim my rightful place."


Elliot bows, nodding towards the others to do the same. "My name is Prince Elliot Bonne of Elemont. It is my honor to be in your presence, Tataen Claetra."


Claetra nods at them. "Stand, please. I did not realize that we had guests. You wish to take Troy home with you?"


"Very much so. If there is some sort of arrangement-"


Claetra cuts him off. "There is no need. Troy, do you wish to leave?"


Troy looks away from his sister. He uses his telepathy, not wanting to frighten them with his speech. "I do not. I can do more here; I wasn't really of use before."


Claetra speaks again. "Prince Elliot, do not get the wrong idea. Neither I nor the Elton are trying to hurt you. We have actually decided we want you to reach your goal. Finding the Youngest Doe will benefit all creatures, including those of the shadows."


"Tataen Claetra, may I address you?" Helen asks. When she gives a nod, Helen continues. "I am Leana Helen of Iona. Troy-Leano Troy of Iona-is my brother. Is there any way we could work out a system where we can still communicate with him?"


Claetra nods once more. "Once Troy chooses his new name, his soul will be cleansed, and the barrier will be eradicated."


Helen perks up. "What barrier?"


"Have you not felt its effects? Is not your bond withering away?"


"I just thought that was because he became an Elton."


"No, Leana, it is much more than that. Someone is trying to sabotage your party."

Elliot speaks up. "Who?"


"His name is Imspo. He is a powerful, wealthy man, though we have been able to convince him we are on his side."


"And you are?"


"The Elton do not pick sides. They-and, by extension, I-simply protect themselves. If hurting you were to suddenly come to favor, we would not hesitate."


"Tataen Claetra, I am Thomas Benton of the House of Benton and I would like to ask if it was the Elton who changed that sign at the crossroads." Thomas pushes up his glasses as the rest of the group-including most of the Elton-give him strange looks.


Claetra thinks for a moment before she answers. "No, I was not aware the sign was changed."


Elliot speaks before Thomas can. "Tataen, would you be able to return Analise Galacia of the Noble House of Galacia to the waking world?" Everyone else had long since forgotten her. Claetra communicates with the Elton silently before Analise opens her eyes.


She jumps out of her seat. "They have a girl, in the tower. They're transforming her somehow. We shouldn't go-" Her mind sense catches up with her, and she turns around to face Claetra.


"Tallos bin, Solna," Claetra starts, ignoring the blatant confusion on everyone's face. "Se wor ela syn. Wor tut bin, so klay. Ta kri."




Once the group leaves-with all members except troy-they analyze their situation. "So," Francine starts, counting off the new events on her fingers, "They mind controlled Analise,now have a Tataen or whatever, this Tataen spoke weird words to Analise, and Troy is now Trin?"


Sicily nods; "That's about it."


"Wor tut bin, so klay. Ta kri," Analise says as she has been saying every so often.


"Luck," Thomas says out of nowhere. "Kri means luck. Wor tut bin, you you soon, so klay, my child. Ta kri; good luck. It's-"


"Ancient Zedlian. What about Solna?"


Everyone is quiet while thomas thinks. "Solna, I think, has something to do with the mind."


Elliot sighs. "It means mind mage. The castle registries still use it. Just like illusionist is Zatla, or an elemental mage is Elata."


"What about a combat mage?" Francine asks.


"Kolta." Elliot says. "Why would she only speak to you in Ancient Zedlian?"


"She did seem like she knew you," Francine adds.


Analise shakes her head, absentmindedly fumbling with her locket. She had thought she lost it in the fire that destroyed all of their stuff, but this morning it showed up in her boot. It has always shown up when she needed it most; she was almost certain that her grandmother-the one who gave it to her-had cast a retrieval spell on it.


After a while of walking, all six of them-the original five, plus Sicily-reach the campsite. "Sicily, seeing how you were meant to go find us anyways, you are welcome to stay," Elliot says, motioning towards the tent. "We'll take the rest of the day off-we won't get very far if we start passing out of exhaustion."


Sicily speaks up; "I could take the first shift. I don't mind. Shifters don't need as much sleep."

Elliot nods in thanks before entering the tent. "So," Francine starts, sitting next to Sicily. "What's it like being a shapeshifter?"


Helen sighs, exasperated. "Must you always start a conversation like that?"


Helen's tone is so biting that Francine promptly shuts up. Analise looks over, feeling Helen's emotions. "Helen, what's up with you today?"


She lets out a laugh. "What' sup with me today? Maybe I just saw my brother turn into an Elton. Maybe I now know that he will always be one. Maybe I can feel his emotions and know how much he doesn't want to be here." She crosses her arms, going into the tent in a huff."


Francine doesn't speak fro a while, and Thomas gives Analise a pointed look. With a sigh, she speaks. "Francine, do you want to talk?"


She glances up at her before looking at the empty spot where the fire was last night. "No." After a few more moments of awkward silence-and Thomas having a silent conversation with Analise-she stands as well, going into the tent.


As soon as Francine is gone, Analis lets out a breath; she was so upset it was distracting. Sicily watches her. "Is it always like this?"


Thomas, having almost forgot she was there, answers with a question. "What do you mean?"


"Very," She pauses, choosing her words carefully, "Emotional. Not that it's really surprising. You are a group of teenagers."


"And how old are you?" Analise asks, more tired than defensive.


"I am forty-four."


Thomas tries to hide a laugh at looks from both Analise and Sicily, he explains. "That's roughly equivalent to a teenager within the shapeshifter community."


Sicily sighs. "It's not really the same-"


"How long do shifters live to?" Analise asks.


"Usually a few hundred, at the low end of the spectrum. My great grandmother is two hundred ninety nine years old."


"So you do keep familial ties. How far back to they go?"


Thomas quietly lets the girls talk, not entirely sure what was going on. As Analise asks questions and Sicily answers, there is a strange sort of rhythm. All of the tension that was building up since her conversation with Elliot seemed to be lifting off her shoulders.




"Trin," Claetra says, as they stand at the top of the tower, "I would like you to join Jordin's Sorin from now on. You have displayed great power during your meeting with Imspo, and he has requested your presence."


"Sorin?" Trin asks before his mind is flooded with memories from the other Elton; having a selective hive mind-known as a solap-was one of the most effective mutations. "Thank you, my Tataen."


"So Tataen, Trin. Remember to address me in my language."


"I'm sorry, so Tataen. Thank you."


"Do not apologize-you still have a lot to learn. Please meet Coltoi in the tower's yard for a lesson."


"Of course." He heads down the stairs quickly, eager to learn.



© 2017 Roselynne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on February 25, 2017
Last Updated on February 25, 2017