Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jackie

“From the Noble House of Galacia, Analise, please step forward. From the great House of Benton, Thomas, please step forward. From the revered Temple of Iona, Helen and Troy, please step forward. From the respected family of Triton, Francine, please step forward. Though children, all five of you are more than capable of this task. Led by, from my own Royal House of Charet, Prince Elliot, you will reach the goddess Iona with very little difficulty. Please, take a goblet and drink as we commence the celebration before your departure.”

The group stands at the large table before the King. They each pick up a glass filled with wine--a special wine, meant to boost their abilities--and drink, perfectly in sync. They had practiced this ceremony many times, and the excitement of being chosen--be it good or bad--had largely worn off. The King continues his speech for what feels like hours, though is really only about fifteen minutes.

Francine nudges Helen with her elbow, albeit harder than she meant to. Helen doesn’t waiver and remained perfectly still, holding her goblet. Not receiving an answer, she turns to her right instead and uses the same tactic on Elliot. He, just like Helen, does not flinch, instead sending her a smirk from the corner of his mouth. Still standing, Francine grows impatient.

“Now, let the celebration commence!”

The kids sit down at the head table, various people coming towards them and asking questions or giving them their blessings; only Francine grows frustrated, the others used to this treatment. Even Troy and Helen, how live in the temple on the outskirts of civilization are used to being treated like royalty. 

The ceremony ends and the selected group’s parents’ gather around the doors of the castle to see them off. Lord and Lady Galacia quietly remind their daughter, Analise, that she should only fraternize with Elliot--as he is the Prince--and, maybe, Helen. The others, even though selected by the King and his advisers, are considered beneath her by all other members of her Noble House. 

Thomas’s parents--a count and countess--give him largely the same speech that Analise received; however his parents told him to cozy up to everyone besides Francine. They tell him to keep an eye on Analise, as she is clearly of age for a suitor, and only slightly above his station.

Helen and Troy’s parents simply go through a prayer with them before making sure they have all of the supplies they need. The warmest of the other parents--despite their cold appearance--the priest and priestess make their rounds to the others in the group as well, making sure they get a proper send off.

Francine’s parents, on the other hand, barely stay long enough to bid her a gruff farewell. They both are blacksmiths and, though they are proud of her--deep, deep, down--the idea that their only daughter has started down the combat path disappoints them. With no other children, the family business dies with them; unless she marries a blacksmith, which isn’t very likely.

After briefly discussing the plan once more, the King hugs his youngest son. The only reason these teenagers were making up the search party is because they can be spared; all adults of similar talents have very important jobs that need to be done. Other than Prince Elliot, the  group sees this as their chance to prove themselves to the world. Elliot, however, has nothing he needs to prove. In order for these families to be willing to part with their children, the King made sure he had just as much collateral. Thus, he guaranteed their safety using his own son.

It wasn’t a big deal if Elliot did perish, though. The King had three older sons, and even two older daughters. Elliot would never be heir to the Charet family line. He had even gone so far as to give up on his royal duties, becoming a bit of a menace to those the King had tutor him.


© 2018 Jackie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hi! So, I think you have a strong concept here, and I am interested to see where this goes. However, you do a little too much telling. I think it would be more interesting if you showed how the other teenagers don't respect Francine. You have a little bit of their content of her, but she just seems like a too young child. Or, how maybe she doesn't know how to act exactly, she could do something wrong like sitting down too soon, ect.
I would think that it Francine's parents would try to soak up the "royal" treatment since one could assume that they don't get fine foods and wine normally.
I really like how this seems to be a simple mission, but there is enough of a chance of something going wrong that the Prince is sent with them.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jackie

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That's really good advice and I'll definitely keep it in mind moving forwards!



Reviews

Hi! So, I think you have a strong concept here, and I am interested to see where this goes. However, you do a little too much telling. I think it would be more interesting if you showed how the other teenagers don't respect Francine. You have a little bit of their content of her, but she just seems like a too young child. Or, how maybe she doesn't know how to act exactly, she could do something wrong like sitting down too soon, ect.
I would think that it Francine's parents would try to soak up the "royal" treatment since one could assume that they don't get fine foods and wine normally.
I really like how this seems to be a simple mission, but there is enough of a chance of something going wrong that the Prince is sent with them.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jackie

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That's really good advice and I'll definitely keep it in mind moving forwards!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
1 Review
Added on April 26, 2018
Last Updated on April 26, 2018


Author

Jackie
Jackie

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jackie


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Jackie


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Jackie