Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Jackie

Both boys are nearly silent as they set up camp, Troy teaching Thomas some new wards that activate with fire. Thomas is a quick study, though he has difficulty conjuring the fire. He tries a few times, but as his specialty lies in illusion magic rather than elemental. Troy grows a bit frustrated, not understanding why it was so difficult for him. 
Once more, Thomas produces a flame that does nothing. "Can't you make just make it burn? You're already almost there." Troy says, finishing drawing the wards in the sand.
“It’s just an illusion. It’s not real fire,” Thomas replies. It wasn't as if he wasn't trying; it was just so far out of his reach to do what Troy was asking of him.
“Then give it the illusion of burning me.” Troy walks over to the other boy, running his hand through the flame. It felt like nothing and confused his senses. 
Thomas pauses; is that possible? He had never considered using layers of illusions to make them seem more realistic. Focusing on his fire, and Troy’s hand, he tries to add a factor of heat, tricking the other boy’s sense of touch. Finally, Troy pulled his hand away. There may not have been an injury -- the fire still wasn't real -- but he did feel a bit accomplished at helping this boy with his magic; even if they didn't share the same specialty.
Troy smiles, “There you go. Now you just have to manipulate the other senses. This magic is powerful if done correctly. Then again, I doubt you could trick these wards with an illusion.” Holding his hand above the drawings etched into the dirt, Troy creates a flame. The fire spreads over the entire area at the same time the waves of energy hit them. Losing control of his fire, Troy destroys the tent before both him and Thomas hit the ground.


© 2018 Jackie


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on May 25, 2018
Last Updated on May 25, 2018


Author

Jackie
Jackie

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jackie


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jackie


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Jackie