Chapter 4 - A Bedtime Story

Chapter 4 - A Bedtime Story

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis

Chapter 4 �" A Bedtime Story

Mulling over the things that happened to me recently, I took a seat at her table.

“I’ll be a little while to prepare something. In the meantime, make yourself at home.”

She said, going in the kitchen. I simply nodded and looked over my hands.

Moments passed quickly, but to me they were eternal. I looked out the window of the house and saw the same scenery, though this time all I could see was a long, flat and grassy field that led to the hills far beyond my current reach. The gray, stony range was under a misty shroud, making them look like unmoving brides in white veils that never let out a sound, rather, just stood calmly in a peaceful mystery.

Thankfully, the sun had not set but had now reached a deeper crimson, making the sky go darker. A chill went down my spine at the sight and some sense of dread filled me.

The fire peacefully burned in the fireplace, just being near it, I felt a wave of comfort flow through my body.

Strange, I could of sworn that there was no fire burning before I came in.

“Dinner’s ready.” She happily chimed and the beautiful warm scent of fresh vegetables and homemade spices filled the air.

My stomach growled in response as the realization of my hunger dawned upon me. She brought two plates and we started eating in silence.

After we were both done, we moved to the front of the fireplace where we took our seats.

“Can you wait for me for a bit? I just need to get something.”

She asked.

“Alright, no problem.” I replied with a nervous smile.

She let out a sweet little laugh and went back into the room she was painting in.

The small rug in front of the fireplace was soft to the touch and as I drew my fingers across it, I could feel as each string was knitted into this whole with care and precision.

I sat there quietly and watched the fire as it burned calmly before me, taking upon myself its serenity and warmth which softly lulled me into sleep.

Because of that, I didn’t even hear her come back, I just felt her leaning onto me and whispering something too softly for me to hear, after which she backed off and sat down next to me, holding on her lap a small brown book.

“Hey.” I started “Can I ask you something?”

“Hm?” She turned to me and lightly leaned her head to the side.

“What happened to me?” I spoke without turning my head to look her in the eye. There was definitely something wrong here.

“Well,” she started, opening her brown book

“I went out in the morning to gather ingredients for my homemade paint, as I do every day during spring. During that time I would wander through the forest, looking for new paths, fields and groves, when I found something I hadn’t run into before. There was a small clearing with an old stone statue, and in front of it I found you lying in a position like you were prepared for a burial. The strange thing was that there were two swords crossed just above your neck. I got really worried so I ran over and pulled you from under the two blades just as one got slightly out of the ground and almost fell on your neck.”

She took a pause here and looked out of the window, watching as the red turned into dark violet.

“Wait a second. What did those blades looked like?”

She snapped from her daydream and turned back to me with a childlike wonder imprinted on her face.

“Oh, they looked like two normal swords, except their blades were black and white.”

“Just as I thought…” I muttered to myself

“What was that?” She asked.

“No, no it’s nothing.” I sighed “Please do continue your story.”

She smiled again and nodded

“Okay. So when I pulled you from under the blades, they showed a hidden writing on them. It said �"“

I interrupted her “We leave him…”

“…in your care. How did you know?!” She asked in amazement.

Damn, I can’t tell her. Think of something quick!

“Well, uh…” I started muttering in embarrassment “I had a feeling something as predictable as that would be written on them.”

“You’re right, just like in a fairytale.”

We shared a hearty laugh and as soon as we both calmed down she sighed and said

“Wow, it seems like it’s getting dark. I should go to bed early, there’s still much work to be done.”

We got up and I took a look out the window, it was pitch black outside and not even the hills could be seen from behind this deep darkness.

But even in this darkness, her figure stood tall like a beacon of light that broke even the terrifying silence of this restless night.

No, I had to snap out of this. I’m here to learn, not to feel.

Shaking my head I cleared out my thoughts and spoke out to her.

“How about I lend you a hand then?” I mean I might be staying for some time and it seems like you have a lot of work on your hands.”

“My, my, how chivalrous of you.” She teased, making me blush.

With a giggle, she lifted up her dress slightly and bowed.

“Well then, I’ll gladly accept your help Mr. Knight.”

I smiled and put a right hand over my chest, bowing as well.

“Always happy to be of service, my lady.”



© 2015 Ryonar Melephis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
Added on February 5, 2015
Last Updated on February 5, 2015


Author

Ryonar Melephis
Ryonar Melephis

Nis, Serbia



About
I am an all-round writer who doesn't shy away from a challenge. I am prone to writing fantasy, sci-fi, horror, romance, comedy, action, you name it. Also, I am something the people from 4chan would ca.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Ryonar Melephis