The White - Haired Freak

The White - Haired Freak

A Chapter by srjj

Once more his heterochromatic eyes close. Once more he enters the land of dreams, no it would be better to describe this as the domain of darkness. In this world a nightmare consumes the young man once again his frozen self must listen to his rapidly beating heart and the sound of the blood coursing through his veins. The young man screams out in his mind “not again, not again!”.

Yes, because he knew what came next, a roar more terrifying than anything that could possibly exist in the natural world. Yet no matter how long he waited nothing happened, no roar, no flash of black & crimson lightning and better yet no unendurable pain struck him. Instead all the young man could hear was a quiet desperate voice calling out “answer me … can you still not hear me? … please if you can hear me say something”. Just as the young man was about to respond, crash!

Hearing a loud noise, a pair of unmatched eyes spring open, there lay a unique Japanese boy. This boy had messy shoulder length platinum white hair and two different colored eyes one a molten gold the other midnight black. This boy was named Raizel Slater but everyone called him Rai

Staring at the ceiling lost in thought Rai spoke quietly “well that was a first”.

Out of the blue “what’s a first? Finally found yourself an imaginary friend Rai?”

Sitting up with a start at the unseen sarcastic voice, Rai spotted his ‘sister’ Olivia sitting at the bottom of his bed. Speaking with a flushed face Rai said “how many times have I told you not to barge in to my room without knocking and the friend remark was a low blow”.

“I did knock, three times in fact, not my fault if you were too wrapped up in your nap to notice, anyway the headmistress sent me to wake you up so you wouldn’t miss dinner”. Having passed on the message Olivia walked out the room.

Rai realizing that she had left the door wide open called after Olivia telling her to shut the door but no reply was heard so grudgingly he stood up to do it himself. 
As he walked to the door Rai could hear the usual noise from the other kids in the facility, yes because although Rai had many brothers and sisters all with the last name slater there was not one blood relation here. The kids that lived here were all brats of the slater institute.

Even for an orphan Rai’s situation was a strange one he was found four years ago buried on an island called Castaway Cay a small private island roughly one hundred and seventy miles off the coast of Miami by an employee who was walking with a metal detector. 

Although Rai did not know it there was a huge uproar on the news as not only was there Rai but the corpses of more than five hundred Japanese men, women and children found buried. The conspiracy theorists were going crazy at the news, headlines such as ‘Secret American Concentration Camp’ and the like spread like wildfire for weeks.

All that Rai did know was that all memories before waking up in the hospital were gone, he had no knowledge of his name, why he was buried or any other language except his native tongue. When they brought in a lady to translate for him the lady asked his name he gave the translator ‘Raizel’ as his name although he had no idea what this word meant or why he knew it, he was convinced it was his.

When he couldn’t give them any information other than his name it was decided Rai would be sent to the Slater Institute a private adoption center located on the outskirts of New York.

Although it was a small institute with only forty-two children ranging from nine to fifteen years old Rai was the only one who had his own room the rest were split into rooms of three and one room of four. There were several reasons for Rai being the only one with his own room. One; the other kids were terrified of him and vehemently refused to share with him. Two; strange things happened around Rai things that he could give no answers to when asked. The very first roommate he had was Danny Slater, Danny did not like Rai’s bizarre appearance and decided to hit him next thing Rai knew he was being shaken awake by the headmistress and Danny had severe burns to his arm. When questioned on what had happened neither of the two boys could give an answer.

The headmistress died Rai’s hair so he would stand out less he went to bed with Midnight Black as his hair colour and the next morning it was once again a brilliant platinum white.

And finally, for the past four years night after night Rai had woken up every night with an earsplitting scream as though he was being tortured. Needless to say, the other kids rejected him out of fear. 

Rai instead of closing the door decided to do as he was told and headed for the dining hall, when he entered everyone went quiet and sent glares his way some full of fear others full of loathing; inwardly sighing Rai went to collect his meal and grabbed a seat next to Olivia the only one who would speak to him with no ulterior motive or hate towards him.

In the silent room a voice spoke out in anger “you do know if you actually spoke to him you would all realize how idiotic you are!”. For the second time today, Olivia spoke out. Even after her outburst no one spoke not even the supervisors. Rai instead of looking up remained silent and became anxious to finish eating his meal as quickly as possible.

Feeling the tension rolling off of Olivia, Rai could tell she was about to say something else deciding to cut in before she became more heated Rai spoke up “Dorm supervisor Swan can we please have permission to eat in my room”. As this was not the first time the situation had happened today never mind this week supervisor Swan gave him a quick nod looking relieved to be rid of him and the situation before it escalated.

“Come on” speaking in a tired voice Rai grabbed Olivia by the arm and lifted his plate and proceeded to pull her to the door. The second the door closed there was an outbreak of murmurs. Looking over his shoulder Rai could see tears of anger forming in Olivia’s eyes. Continuing to pull her further away from the dining hall Rai headed for the stairs “you really need to stop your outbursts it just sets everyone on edge, makes everything a thousand times more awkward and gets you into trouble with the headmis-“. Before he could finish speaking Olivia struck the side of his head.

“Ouch what the hell Olivia, you made me drop my fork!” Rai howling at his sister was again stopped short as she hit him again.

Olivia’s temper seemed to have hit breaking point “I’m hitting an idiot for behaving like one. You never speak up, every day you just let them walk all over you”.

Hurt at her accusing voice Rai spoke heatedly “look you’ve only been here for six months. Once I learned enough English I tried speak up, it only made life worse. I learned quickly that speaking up just causes more trouble and not just with the other kids but with everyone that works here. Speaking up just gets you labeled as a problem, don’t forget the adults that work here don’t care about us they’re just employees here for the money. I decided to keep my head down its awkward but at least I don’t have to deal with any trouble”. Hoping this would be enough to appease her Rai leaned down to pick up his fork. Bang! Yet again Olivia hit him this time she stormed back down the hall screaming “Idiot, you really are a big idiot Rai!”.

Still leaning down, Rai remained frozen wondering why she was even angrier than before. Finally picking up his fork Rai went to his room mentally beat, confused and annoyed.

Making sure he had left enough time for everyone to have cleared the dining hall Rai decided it would be ok to take his empty plate downstairs. Upon entering he witnessed carnage there were plates on the floor and overturned chairs.

“perfect timing, since this is partly your fault you can clean this mess up” jumping at the voice behind him Rai turned to see supervisor swan glaring at him.

“My fault? How can this be my fault? I was in my room!” Rai asked with a confused tone.

Still glaring at Rai, the supervisor answered in a voice filled with dislike “your partner in crime decided to continue her little outburst after you left. She said much the same as when you were here, ranting that everyone was idiotic for treating you the way they do”.

“what?” Rai asked looking astonished

As though he hadn’t been interrupted supervisor Swan continued “when one of the boys asked her why they ‘have to talk to a white-haired freak like you’ she started a fight”

“Wow” Rai exclaimed with a smile

“wipe that smile off your face Raizel” snarled Swan

In a whispered voice full of scorn Supervisor Swan leaned closer to Rai “You little white-haired freak, just when I thought you had learned to keep your head down you instead instigate your little friend from the shadows. I wish the headmistress had listened to me after the first incident when poor little Danny nearly lost his arm to your little attack if it was my choice you’d be in a padded cell.”

With an indescribable expression Rai stood looking down at the floor, his hands balled into fists. He was no stranger to everyone at the Slater Institute giving him looks of fear and hate he had even suffered the other kids hiding his clothes and destroying his stuff but not once had anyone spoke to him with such hate. Finally, tired of it all Rai raised his head glaring at Supervisor Swan

Thud! Before Rai could act a fist assaulted his gut, sinking to his knees. Shocked by the unexpected blow Rai tried to stand up but a hand grabbed his hair and forced him to look up.

“Listen here you freak, one more outburst from you and it won’t just be a little blow like this. I will make your life even more depressing than it is now. I can’t be bothered with little s***s like you who make my job hard. So, you will make sure you keep quiet and your little friend also, do I make myself clear?” after saying his piece Supervisor Swan released Rai’s hair.

Too shocked to even speak Rai simply nodded.

“That’s my little freak do as I tell you and there will be no suffering, now remember I want this dining hall cleaned up” with a grin on his face Supervisor Swan left the room.

For a while Rai remained on all fours not moving. Tears caused by all manner of conflicting feelings overflowed from his eyes and dripped down to the floor finally with a miserable expression Rai wiped his tears and began to move following Supervisor Swans orders. After a short while Rai heard the door open and he flinched fearing Supervisor Swan was back but to his relief it was Olivia followed by the headmistress.

“I do not remember asking you to clean up Olivia’s mess” she exclaimed.

Rai replied in an offhanded way as he could “Supervisor Swan asked me to do him a favor”

“I see, well since Olivia created the mess she will finish the rest you can go play until lights out”. She said relieving him of his work

“NO!” he shouted “I mean, I’m happy to help her. Please!”. The first blow Rai had received had done the trick he was scared of receiving another one. He didn’t know what would happen if Supervisor Swan found out he had only done half of what he was ordered.

Narrowing her eyes as though she suspected something the headmistress consented while leaving the room she said “Raizel remember you can come talk to me if somethings bothering you”.

“I’m ok headmistress thanks though” he replied to her retreating figure.

“you look like you’ve seen a ghost, what’s wrong” Olivia asked.

With a start Rai walked over and closed the door and while cleaning together he explained what had happened with the supervisor.

He could see the shock on her face and she started exclaiming loudly “you have to tell the headmistress, or the Police”

“SHHHHHHHHHH!” Rai said in a panic scared someone would overhear. “look just keep quiet about it, I only told you so you would understand that you need to stop bringing up my situation with everyone”

“if you don’t tell her I will!” she said.

“you will not! I’ve told you before just drop it, what if no one believes me then I’ll be stuck in hell with Supervisor Swan.

“They will” she replied simply

Growing angry Rai spoke in a harsh voice “stop interfering with me, before you arrived all I had to deal with was awkward silence now I have this happening and it’s all your fault. Stop acting like we’re family!”

After Rai’s outburst several emotions flashed across Olivia’s Face pain, anger and hurt. Realizing he had said too much he tried to speak to Olivia to get her to understand he didn’t mean it and that he was just scared by the situation but she refused to talk to him.

They finished cleaning in silence and went to their rooms without another word.

Later that night still awake Rai was staring at the sealing with thoughts of today’s events assaulting him. Eventually his thoughts died down and sleep seized him. Once again Rai’s mind entered the domain of darkness.

Silence surrounds him yet for the second time no pain engulfs him and for a second time a voice calls out “can you hear me, answer me … notice me.

Rai once again surprised by the change in his nightmare shakily replies “I hear you, who are you?”

A sigh of relief travels through the darkness “finally my voice has reached you after so long”

Again, Rai asks the ephemeral voice “who are you? Why can’t I see you?”

“my name is…” before he can hear the rest Rai wakes up in a cold sweat, alarm ringing and the sun beating upon his face, morning had arrived and that meant it was time for school.

Still mentally drained from yesterday Rai pulls himself out of bed and begins to dress for school. Still half-asleep Rai didn’t even notice he had buttoned his blazer wrong until he had left the room. Rai hated his uniform; a white blazer and tie with black trousers, shirt and shoes. He felt that the white blazer and tie along with his brilliant white hair gave off a very eccentric look add in his heterochromatic eyes anyone who saw him would think he was cosplaying.

Heading downstairs Rai instead of going to the dining hall and risk running into Supervisor Swan left for the bus. Rai once again started thinking of the voice from his nightmare. It felt familiar yet at the same time unfamiliar, since his memory only went back four years he couldn’t be sure. One thing Rai was sure of was that for the past four years without fail every time he went to sleep the same nightmare assaulted him, but now in less than a day Rai had encountered a slight change. Rai was relieved at the change hearing voices while asleep was much more preferable to the mind-numbing pain his nightmare usually gifted him.


© 2018 srjj


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
Added on June 4, 2018
Last Updated on June 4, 2018
Tags: Teen, fantasy, magic, dragons


Author

srjj
srjj

Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom



About
just an beginner who wants to write ... look after me okay x more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by srjj