The Choice

The Choice

A Story by SamSim27
"

Sometimes dreams give you the greatest starting point.

"

It had been dark for so long, I couldn’t work out whether the problem was with the environment or with my eyes. It was eerily quiet, was I alone? How did I get here? In fact, where is here?

I sat for what felt like a lifetime, trying to piece together the events prior to this. It could have been minutes or even hours, who knows. No sights, no sounds. Wait, was I blind? Was I deaf? Why can’t I see or hear anything? Where am I?

I tried to move my hands. They were tied to the arms of the chair that I then realised I was sat on. My feet were tied together at the ankles. I moved my feet, I heard them scuff against the floor, okay panic averted, I’m definitely not deaf.

I looked around the room, looking for anything that would give me a clue as to where I was. The panic returned, I can’t see anything. What the hell is going on?

 

I heard a door open in front of me, at least I think it was a door.

“Hello, who’s there? What’s going on?”

No answer. I stretched my neck as far forward as it would go. Did I imagine the sound?

“Hello? Please, is anyone there?”

I heard what sounded like a chair being dragged across the floor. It made me cringe, the way you do when someone scrapes their fork on a dinner plate. At least I know for sure that I can hear, though right now I kind of wish I couldn’t. I lifted my hands to protect my ears, forgetting that they were strapped to the chair. The screeching sound was getting closer. There was definitely someone here. The noise stopped, the room fell silent again.

“I know someone is here, who are you? Where am I?”

I could hear their breathing. I could feel the sweat trickling down the sides of my face. This is it, this is how I die!

“Stop shouting. Close your eyes, it’s gonna get bright in here”

I’m not closing my eyes. So you can kill me while they’re closed, no chance.

A piercing light filled the room and my eyes instinctively closed. S**t, I should’ve listened to him.

“Okay, open your eyes slowly and carefully”

This time I listened to his advice, I took my time and allowed my eyes to adjust to the light.

At least I know I’m not blind.

 

While I was adjusting to my new environment, the man spoke again.

“Listen very carefully, in a moment two people will enter this room. One of them must die, and you must choose,” I still couldn’t see, but now I couldn’t speak. It was as though my throat had closed up. My mind was running at 100mph but my mouth couldn’t release a sound. “This is not a game, there are no rules, no winners and no losers. You choose who dies, if you do not choose, they both die. Look toward the door”

 

I heard the door open again, I could just make out two silhouettes as they came towards me. One of them was crying. They came to a stop about 5 feet in front of me, just as my eyes came into focus. My heart stopped. My chest tightened.

 

Stood in front of me was the only two women I have ever loved.

The woman who gave me life and the one who made life worth living.

 

“You have 30 seconds to choose. One or both!”

© 2017 SamSim27


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's pretty good, dude. I also struggle with dialogue in short stories, for some reason it's just quite difficult for me. I enjoyed this story and I loved the last line in that it creates a wealth of suspense. I also liked the dark nature of this as I too adore exploring the darker side of human nature in my poetry. ;)

Overall, pretty good job, Sam!

Posted 7 Years Ago


SamSim27

7 Years Ago

Thank you, you are too kind.
I have a fair amount of half written, somewhat dark fiction. The.. read more
Lovecraft

7 Years Ago

I'd love to read some samples of that writing. I have a few short stories and the beginnings of shor.. read more
This is right up my street. Good build up and I feel it is going to turn into a great story. Your sentences are nicely worded - not too long or short, just enought to pack a punch. The only thing which I would add is that it gets a little confusing as to who is talking sometimes BUT it doesn't take away from what was a read which I really enjoyed. I look forward to more.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


SamSim27

7 Years Ago

Thank you.
I did struggle with the dialogue for a while, I've never been a great writer of di.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Keep practising, you'll get there.
Still a good read though.

Mark.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2017
Last Updated on February 13, 2017

Author

SamSim27
SamSim27

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by SamSim27



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


WATCHING WATCHING

A Poem by M. L. F.


Snow Queen Snow Queen

A Poem by Hebe


THE STORM THE STORM

A Poem by M. L. F.