Lady Amelia Chapter #1

Lady Amelia Chapter #1

A Chapter by Samantha Young

Chapter 1

 

 

 

 

“You were caught riding again during lesson 7?” Principal Reid sighed and leaned back against his oversized green cushioned chair. “You’re skirt is 7cm above your knee again. Amelia, I would prefer to not have to call your father again. I’m sure the Duke of Kent has much better things to do than to hear about the shenanigans his eldest daughter has been up to!”

Amelia Windsor, more formally known as Lady Amelia, rolled her eyes and crossed her arms as she leaned back against the uncomfortable wooden chair.

“You have been calling my father for the past eight years, and nothing has changed.” Amelia smirked. “You really think he’s going to be concerned? As far as my father cares, I’m away from home. I can’t bother him or be in his way during all his soirees.”  

“Amelia . . .” Principal Reid stood up and walked around his desk towards her. “You’re father cares about you. He wouldn’t have sent you to Gordonstoun, a prestigious and most capable school if he didn’t.”

“I’ve been in this school for eight years, and nothing has changed. I’m still the way I was when I first came here.” She snapped.

“Alright Amelia.” He crossed his arms and sighed. “Let’s discuss something else. Have you given thought about what you plan to do after you leave here? What career you might aspire to? You’re grades are exceptional regardless of your horrific behavior and I was told that many of the prestigious universities have accepted you.”

“When I decide what I want to do, I’ll definitely not let you know.” She stood up. “So, if I’m not in any more trouble, may I leave? I have piano practice now before swim practice.”

“I can’t understand you.” He shook his head and returned to his seat. “I just can’t. Yes, you may leave. Go.”

Amelia stood up, grabbed her backpack and walked out the office. She made her way out of the administration’s building and raced across the North Lawn to the Music School building. As predicted the building was scarcely populated. She walked quickly to the piano room and smiled at the black glossy piano that stood in the middle of the room.

When she had begun to attend Gordonstoun, she knew that she was never going to make friends. Everyone at the school was similar to her in both rank and wealth. Almost every heir to a dukedom or some sort of peerage attended Gordonstoun. It was widely known that all the graduates from Gordonstoun went on to further their education at either Cambridge, Oxford, University of Edinburgh, or one of the other prestigious universities in the UK. Amelia knew that she had been born different. Although she had been thrown into the life of summer balls, debutants, and country soirees from the moment she could walk, she had always been different to say the least. She was outspoken, intelligent, athletic, and longed for complete freedom and independence; the exact opposite of the other girls and boys at her boarding school. All of the British peerage heirs prepared themselves for the law, the government and their future titles.

Amelia preferred to ride horses than staying indoors during the day and attending lessons. Riding during lessons gave her a full half hour of not being in the presence of her rich and snobbish peers. She chose piano and swimming as her after school activities because most of the other students preferred outdoor sports such as football, rugby, or cricket.

She walked over to the piano, sat down and quickly began to play Moonlight Sonata. Her personal favorite song. Thoughts about her best friend Bobby Worcester, formally known as Robert Somerset, Earl of Glamorgan, flooded into her mind. Bobby had been her best friend from the moment he stood up to two boys picking on her at the age of seven. They had been inseparable ever since. Bobby’s father had not allowed him to attend Gordonstoun, but in fact preferred Bobby to be homeschooled. Bobby, however, often paid visits to Amelia while she was away to boarding school, and they both attended their regular vacation balls and dinner parties together. It was rumored among all the peerage that Bobby and Amelia were secretly engaged. But that rumor could not be more false in Amelia’s mind. Amelia’s heart had yet to be captured and she had long ago made up her mind to never marry anyone unless she knew that she loved them completely.

 Amelia wasn’t the only heir to the Duke of Kent. The Duke had two other children; Edward, who was 15, and Mary, who was ten. Edward also attended school at Gordonstoun, but he blended perfectly with his other peers. He was the opposite of Amelia in every aspect. It was uncertain as to which child would inherit the title upon George Windsor’s death. He rarely saw or spoke with any of his children. His wife Katherine was exactly the same as her husband in every sense. They both loved to travel and they both lived exciting lives.

“Father and mother are not going to be at home this summer.” Edward said as he walked into her music room.

Amelia pulled her hands away from the keys and stared at her green eyed brother. Not only were they both different in character, but they looked nothing alike. Edward was tall and muscular with a head full of straight blond hair. His eyes were just as olive green as his father’s. Amelia, on the other hand, was short, slender and had a pixie-like body. Her hair was raven black and she possessed her mother’s bright blue eyes. She was a beauty and sought after by many eligible men. All of whom she turned down bluntly.

“That’s a shocker.” Amelia stood up and closed the case over the keys. “And you came here to tell me that because . . .?”

“Well, if mother and father are not going to be home, then I shan’t either.” He grinned. “I wanted to let you know that I’ll be spending my summer with the Churchill’s.”

“I don’t control you.” Amelia shrugged. “You don’t need to tell me where you’ll be.”

“I was just letting you know . . . I might not be home to see you off to university.” Edward stared at her intently, waiting for her reaction.

“Edward, I honestly don’t care.” She murmured. “You have fun. I’ll be fine if that’s what you’re worried about.”

“Oh thank God!” he ran up to her, kissed her cheek and ran out the room.

“I guess we’ll be taking different flights then.” Amelia sighed and left the music room.

She made her way quickly across the entire grounds of the school towards the Sports Center. She changed into her bathing suit and dove into the pool. She only had one more week at this stupid school and then she would finally be free.

***

Bobby Worcester pulled off his jacket as he got out of his Lotus Elise. He walked up to the front door of the Earl of St. Andrews’ estate and rang the doorbell. He smiled at the familiar head maid, Miss Betsey.

“Good morning, Miss Betsey.” Bobby grinned and inclined his head.

“Ah, Lord Somerset.” Betsey smiled and opened the door for him happily. “Your lady is upstairs in her room. I believe she’s still sleeping.”

“That’s ok!” Bobby stepped into the foyer. “She’ll be awake once I’m done with her.”

Bobby ran past the maid and flew up the long flight of stairs. He knew exactly where Amelia’s room was having been in it for most of their childhood. He checked his face in one of the hallway mirrors quickly. His hazel colored hair flew about his face in waves, and hung down covering his pure black eyes. He grinned to himself before slipping silently into Amelia’s room.

He walked up to her bed and stared down at her sleeping form. He had never thought of Amelia as anything more than his best friend. But that past semester, something had changed in his heart. It was instant realization. Amelia was the woman he was in love with. He grinned and kicked off his shoes before slipping into the bed next to her.

He reached up and gently played with her long hair. Amelia opened her eyes slowly and smiled up at him.

“Bobby.” She murmured as she snuggled herself closer to him.

Bobby smiled to himself and wrapped his arms around her as she leaned against his chest. Amelia had gotten accustomed to sleeping on Bobby from when she was younger. They used to have sleepovers at each other’s houses where she would fall asleep in Bobby’s lap while watching a movie. She had gotten used to sleeping on Bobby so much that her most restful nights were when she slept with him.

He watched her sleep for another half hour before nudging her awake gently. Amelia opened her eyes, smiled up at him and kissed his cheek. She hadn’t seen him for the past five months and she longed to just lay in his arms and sleep comfortably for the first time in months.

“Your horse misses you.” Bobby whispered into her ear. “I think he needs you.”

Amelia sat up quickly and grinned. Horseback riding was her favorite hobby. It was the only hobby where she felt completely free. She pulled away from Bobby and jumped off her bed.

“Will you ride with me?” she asked as she disappeared into her bathroom.

“Of course.” He chuckled. “You think I came here to see you? Hell no. I want to ride one of your horses.”

“Ah, you always have a ulterior motive, huh?” she laughed as she stepped out of the bathroom.

She was dressed in a blue pair of riding shorts, a rock-band t-shirt and regular sneakers. Amelia was so accustomed to riding that the need to wear proper riding clothes was not necessary for her.

“Shall we?” she grinned. “I’ll race you!”

She dashed out of her room, knowing that Bobby was right behind her. She ran down the staircase and headed out back to the stables. She skidded to a stop as she reached the front entrance and stared at her beautiful, pure black stallion.

“Ghost . . .” she whispered gently.

Her horse’s ears perked up as he turned his head towards her. He began to neigh and kick around excitedly. Amelia grinned and ran over to him.

“Oh, I missed you too.” She whispered as she stroked his mane gently. “None of the other horses are like you. I love you.”

He nudged her head gently.

“Come on.” She reached for the reins and tied it over his face. “I want to ride fast.”

“Bareback today?” Bobby frowned. “You know even I don’t like you riding bareback.”

“Well, if you’re too girly and soft, the saddles are over there.” She stuck her tongue out at him.

Bobby shook his head and placed the reins on his favorite horse. He mounted his horse just as Amelia sprinted out of the stables.

She rode across the large estate with her eyes closed. Her horse knew exactly where she wanted to go. There was no need to direct him. She loosened her hold on the reins, leaned back slightly, stared up at the sun, closed her eyes and smiled. The wind blew around her as her hair scattered wildly across her face. She knew that she probably looked like a wild savage, but she didn’t care. The feeling of freedom was more than enough for her.

“Amelia!” Bobby yelled as he rode up alongside her. “Hold the reins properly!”

“I’m fine.” She grinned and gripped the reins. She pulled them lightly and slowed down Ghost until he was trotting slowly.

Bobby fell into step with her and stared at her longingly. He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. The way her hair blew around her enticed him more than he would have liked to admit. He watched as her body naturally moved with the horses movements. The way her slender thighs gripped the horse as he bounced up and down lightly. It was the most erotic thing he had ever seen in his opinion.

“So, have you chosen which university you want to go to in the Fall?” Bobby asked, trying to keep his thoughts pure.

“Actually, yes.” She looked at him sheepishly. “I’m going to go to a school in America. A small school, where no one will really know who I am.”

“What?” Bobby blinked startlingly. “What school?”

“It’s called Marymount University.” She smiled gently. “It’s a catholic school, and it’s small. It’s in Virginia.”

“Have you told your parents?” he pulled his horse to a stop as they finally got to the lake.

“Nope.” She shrugged as she got off her horse. “They won’t really care, as long as they don’t have to worry about me.”

“You can’t be serious.” Bobby crossed his arms and leaned against one of the trees. “You can’t go to a school in America. You’re British peerage.”

“They won’t know that.” She smirked. “I applied under my real name, but I didn’t say what my title was. No one is going to know who I am. I want to go to a school where I can experience real people. Not people who know who I am and then treat me like . . . like . . . a snob!”

“You can’t do this alone.” Bobby frowned. “I’ll go with you.”

“Really?” Amelia ran over to him and hugged him hard. “I was going to ask you to come with me.”

“Great minds think alike.” Bobby sighed and walked over to her. “You still going to study politics, right?”

“No.” Amelia looked away. “I going to do something different.”

“Will your parents hate you for it?” Bobby touched her arm lightly.

“Yes.” She muttered. “They might disown me.”



© 2011 Samantha Young


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love Amelia's rebellious nature and the first chapter has a good start to the story. I hope you add more at some point.
Cheers

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 25, 2011
Last Updated on July 25, 2011


Author

Samantha Young
Samantha Young

Alexandria, VA



About
I'm a graduate from Marymount University, Arlington, VA. I have a BA in English Literature. I love to write fantasy fiction and romances. My main goal in life is to write as many single books and book.. more..

Writing