CandyBar

CandyBar

A Story by Lyndy
"

A girl visited a candy store and was given a magical candy for her wishes to come true..

"

I placed a coin into the public phone coin slot. I dialled the numbers for a zillion time. I can't really recall how many times have I tried to call home. It was still the same beeping noise or the same 'this caller is currently not available, please try again later' recording. Finally, I hesitantly hung up and got out of the telephone booth.


It was a rainy late evening and there was a slight shower earlier. There was still a slight drizzle and I had forgotten to bring my umbrella along the way. The traffic was slowing down and I realised that I was the last one around for the day. I buttoned up my coat and tried to walk towards the end of the street. The streetlights were switched on and I saw a few awkward glances thrown at me as I walked around this part of street in this town.


There were many shophouses and also a few pedestrians crossing the road, rushing back for dinner. I slowed down my pace as I realised that I had reached the end of the street. The streetlamps were now giving a faint orange glow and I realised that I was alone at this moment of hour in the foreign town. I took a glance around me and discovered that it had started snowing. I huddled closely to my coat and was glad that I had brought some gloves to wear to protect my hands from the cold weather.


My phone in my bag rang... Instantly, I picked it up to answer. Without looking at the number or name, I pressed on the 'green' button. The other end of the phone was silent with only the sound of droplets of water that sounded like rain at the background. I was surprised and tried to louden my voice to ensure that the caller could hear me clearly.


However, there was a long pause and finally.. after much effort, the caller decided to hang up the phone. I gasped, feeling tired and lonely, I walked aimlessly down the street. There was a shop with the sign 'CANDYBAR' nearby and I decided to get a piece of candy to fill my tummy just before I hurried home. As I stood at the entrance of the shop and rang a doorbell, a grinning looking joyful fellow came to open the door.


I inspected the man, who looked nearly like Santa Claus. I tried to refrain from giggling and suppressed it instead by turning my attention towards the rows of candy bars available for sale. The man drew out his hand to greet me warmly, saying that I could choose any kind of candy except for the pink ones tied in green packing. I was surprised and shot him a surprise glance. He took it rather calmly and remarked that there was something auspicious about that kind of candy and they are not for sale.


I didn't know whether to believe him so I just picked an orange candy sherbet and some candy canes with chocolate wrappings. I even picked some chocolates to satisfy my sweet tooth. I took a glance at the shopkeeper and realised that he had stealthily packed a piece of the pink candy and threw it into my packet of packed sweets. Finally, I left the store with the pieces of candy I bought together with the magical pink candy cane which was dumped together with the other sweets.


I headed out towards the street, it was dark and I realised that it was late. There was also a full moon up ahead. I quickened my pace and stopped a taxi as I hurriedly reached back to the main road. In my hand, I was clutching the orange candy and carefully munching away. Suddenly, I realised that the pink candy was gone and I might have accidentally dropped it somewhere in my haste to get back home.


The driver dropped me back home just in time for dinner. I let out a huge sigh of relief when I realised that Martha, my mum, grandma and my brother, Max were at home celebrating Christmas and they had waited me to be back for dinner. I clumsily threw my coat over the clothes stand. Suddenly, I realised that there was something similar about this scene, my mind was racing and then it struck me, isn't this the same scene that happened exactly six years ago? My mum was alive and my brother was still here with me. My grandma had died two years ago and my brother had unexpectedly fell to his death from a tall building after conducting a project for his university programme also two years ago.


I smiled but gasped in shock, they were not surprised to see me. Suddenly, mum patted me on the shoulder, "Christa, are you okay? I tried calling you just now but you didn't pick up. Sorry, I didn't manage to tell you that the house phone line was cut and the connection was bad since this morning." I nodded and realised that I was still clutching my bag and as I fumbled to grab my car keys and phone, my wallet accidentally fell out. I hastily grabbed it and a note with some scribbling handwriting fell out saying 'Enjoy Christmas while you can, thanks to auspicious candy cane - regards, CANDYBAR STAFF". I looked at the piece of paper and realised that the candy bar shopkeeper had kindly tried to give me a Christmas gift by handing me the 'magical' pink candy cane, in return for all my losses; my fiancé left me for another woman, I couldn't get the promotion for the publishing company, etc.. It wasn't a travel back to the past but I get to be with the two people I loved for Christmas, a dream that I had yearned for the past one year.


I clutched the candy bars tightly as I walked towards the dining table. Giving grandma and Max a smile, I inhaled deeply and cherished the few moments of closeness together with people that meant the most to me.. my long lost family members..  

© 2014 Lyndy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Lovely concept! :) I think you could get easily addicted to such special candy!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyndy

9 Years Ago

Thanks a lot, hehe. ;)
That was very nice write dear friend.
Sometimes it felt so... I realize it often for my Lost Love.
Everything is cleared images...
Love your write dear.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyndy

9 Years Ago

Yes, haha. Thanks a lot for your comment! :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 9, 2014
Last Updated on July 9, 2014

Author

Lyndy
Lyndy

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia



About
I'm an amateur writer who likes to write fiction stories, poems and song lyrics during my free time, when my imagination runs wild or when i get inspired. I also love making new friends and learning a.. more..

Writing
Hidden Walls Hidden Walls

A Poem by Lyndy