So Lucky

So Lucky

A Story by Savannah
"

A short freewrite about the love shared between a married couple.

"

The bedroom door creaked open, letting in a sliver of hallway light. He snuck in, gently shutting the door behind him. He illuminated his path with merely the light of his cell phone display screen. As he took off his shoes, he struggled to stay balanced on one foot. He loosened his tie and unbuttoned his shirt, trying to remain as quiet as possible, as he set his gaze upon his wife, asleep in the bed just feet away.

She was the most beautiful woman in the world to him. She always had been and always would be. Too tired to do much of anything, he tossed his shirt, tie, and pants over a chair and left his socks on the carpet. Practically tiptoing over to the bed, a the headlights of a car driving by briefly shone through the window on her, peaceful as could be. Her hair was splayed out on the pillow and her arms were curled in tightly to her body, her hands folded as if she had been praying.

He carefully peeled back the covers and slid into their bed. She opened her eyes and blinked a few times before mumbling sleepily, "You're home, how was it?" "It" was just a regular late-at-work day, but she was too tired to form more words. It wasn't that late, she was just exhausted from her own day, and had an early morning the next day.

"It was fine, baby. Go back to sleep," he whispered into her ear. He carefully placed his arms around her and she fell back asleep within a matter of moments. He kissed her forehead and in her sleep, she snuggled closer to him, and sighed. He sighed, too. How did he get so lucky? The woman of his dreams was in his bed, in his arms, and wearing a ring that told the world she was his.

It didn't take long for him to fall asleep, and in the morning, it was she who slipped out of the bed trying not to wake him. She dressed, made their lunches, and tiptoed back to their bedroom. She cradled his face in her hands and kissed his lips softly. "Love you," she whispered, and left the house, wondering how she got so lucky.

© 2009 Savannah


Author's Note

Savannah
Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like that its optimisim about something taken so pessimistically. Marriage is a joke these days and while I share those views, as a female I always hope for that "happily ever after." This story really made me smile. And actually made me think of the DMB song "so damn, lucky"

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved this story. Very interesting and the description was good. I admire those who write happy endings for as you know i don't have many. Good voice here and the flow was excellent. I love how you always write even the little things that make the story come to life. Leaving his socks on the floor. Just wonderful. Good writing. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 16, 2009
Last Updated on December 16, 2009

Author

Savannah
Savannah

MO



About
I'm an amateur young writer who prefers happy endings. more..

Writing
J.N.P. J.N.P.

A Poem by Savannah


Hatred Hatred

A Story by Savannah