Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Adam

             HIS BOOT LANDED IN A VISCOUS PUDDLE OF BLOOD AND HE SLIPPED CLUMSILY IN THE DARK hall, dropping his semi-automatic on the ground with a loud clutter.  Cursing below his breath he bent down and picked up his weapon from another viscous puddle in front of him, cringing as the liquid ran down his glove and onto his skin.  His lips curled back underneath the thick cloth mask that covered the lower part of his face and his teeth clenched together, elongated canines overlapping the lower row.  He closed his eyes for a moment before continuing forward, his boot making a squelching noise as it lifted from the puddle and landed in another.  As he walked he passed a hole in the wall, a pinprick of moonlight leaking through and shining on the wall parallel to it.  He stopped, kneeling down to examine it with dark, flashing eyes.  Outstretching a slender hand he touched the hole and rubbed the residue between his fingers, sniffing it from beneath his mask and then wiping it on his pants.  He stood and looked around again before walking into a large patch of moonlight provided by a large hole in the ceiling.  A blue light appeared at his hip, followed by static and an image of man.

                “Damian, what’ve you got?” The man said.  Damian reached up to his ear and pressed a button on an elongated silver earpiece beneath his black hair.

                “So much for utter silence.”  Damian huffed into the air, looking up into the makeshift skylight.  “What did you hire a vampire for if you were going to ruin my stealth tactics?”  A long silence stretched into the darkness and soon a huff came over the video phone at his hip.

                “Just tell me what you found out.”

                Damian smirked and jumped up into sky, landing softly on the rooftop overlooking the city of New York.  He searched the streets for the black recon van his partner was in and smiled when he spotted it, Virgil leaning against the side smoking a cigar.  Virgil was a tall man and very well built, his ebony skin stretched tightly over muscle and vein.  His head was completely shaven save for his beard which was thin and sharp.  Damian however was the complete opposite.  He was slender and fit with skin as pale as the moon and waist length hair darker than the night he roamed in.  His face was smooth and set into a sleek, kind position…that was until he got angry.  He was covered in all black clothing, cloak sweeping at his lightly booted feet and encompassing the silken clothes he wore beneath it.  With a swift leap he landed beside Virgil causing him to jump and draw a large pistol from the back of his belt.  Damian stood, staring intently down the barrel with a smile plastered on to his face.

                “Go ahead Virgil I don’t think it would do much.”  He gave a sharp grin.

                “Don’t do that again, I could have ruined your face.”  Virgil holstered the pistol and leaned against the van again.  “So?”

                Damian sighed as he rested his gun on the side of the van, removing his jacket and mask to be more comfortable. 

                “All that could be seen was a lot of blood and a lot of intestines.  Go figure you send me, a sophisticate and assassin, to do your nasty dirty work.  There was a peculiar thing in the wall though; a singular bullet hole with blood residue and a bit of brain tissue.  Standard headshot. “

                Virgil grunted. “That’s odd.  Why would there be a singular gunshot i-“

                “In a place where something seemed to be wreaking havoc.  I know.  It seemed so out of place; but, considering the scent and peculiar type of brain tissue it was an execution style attack.”

Virgil sucked on the end of the now stubby cigar and then flicked it into the night from between his fingers.  Damian watched intently as the cigar landed on the ground and doused itself in a puddle near a street drain.  He looked back at Virgil and tilted his head slightly, taking out his head piece and placing it in his pocket as he observed his partners facial expression. 

                “What’s on your mind?”

                Virgil shifted uncomfortably in his stance and placed his hands inside the pockets of his black and grey fatigues.  His dark eyes shifted to the ground and he shook his head walking towards the passenger side of the van.

                “You drive this time okay?”

                Damian’s eyes lit up and he smiled albeit confused over Virgil’s apparent dodging of his question.  He smiled sharply and grabbed his gun, hopping over the top of the van and quickly slithering into the drivers’ seat before turning to his companion.  He held out his pale hand, thin tendrils wavering back and forth waiting for the cool touch of keys.  Virgil shifted in the seat and pulled the small set of keys out of his pocket.

                “Here, don’t kill us.”

                “You mean you.”  Damian smiled as Virgil sported an annoyed grimace.  He turned back to the wheel and put the keys in the ignition, starting the engine and pulling away from the curb.  The tail lights disappeared into the dark distance.  The heaving drone of Virgil’s snoring echoed around the cab on a circular path which seemed to pass Damian’s ear every second.   Damian rolled his eyes every once in a while and tried to focus on the road more so than his urge to rip out his partners nasal cavity.  As he turned on to their exit a blue light shone on his hip again followed by the familiar crackling as the picture formed.  This time Virgil’s face was replaced by a young woman, blue hair draped in layers across her shoulders and eyes.

                “Moreau, report.” Her voice was like a slither of soft silk, much like Damian’s.  He smiled and pulled the silver earpiece from his pocket and placed it back on the side of his head.  He pressed the button again and spoke.

                “Amelie, how many times have I told you do not address me by my last name?”

                “Enough for me to block it out.”

                “Fair Enough.”  He smiled.

                “Do you have anything to report on the Turchblad Estate case?”

                “Very little unfortunately.  Whatever attacked that place ripped it and the people inside of it to shreds.  The only thing I found was a single bullet hole, execution style shooting but nothing left.  No bullet, no skull fragment just blood, brain tissue, and a lot of internal organs.”

                There was a semi-silence as the rapid click of Amelie’s typing mixed with Virgil’s rattling snore but soon dialogue picked back up, this time on a slightly more personal note.

                “How’s the big guy?”

                “Not too well I believe.  I think he has a bit of a grudge against me at the present.  What with me having killed his family and bit him.”

                Damian recounted that night a month prior to the present when he was nearly crazed with thirst and running rampant.  He attacked Virgil and his family in the park around nine p.m. as the four of them walked home hand in hand from a nearby Dairy Queen.  Having been very weak at the time he attacked the children first, two little girls with innocence in their veins and a lot less strength than the large black male that accompanied them.  He remembered quickly striking from behind a tree, scooping up both children in his arms, breaking their necks and bleeding them dry as the mother fainted and Virgil stood helplessly frozen.  After he left their motionless corpses on the ground he quickly reached for the leg of the now incapacitated woman.  He dragged her across the ground and scooped her up as well, snapping her neck in the same fashion as her children before drinking of her.  Letting her body drop he turned and looked menacingly at Virgil who, although shocked, was advancing quickly in his direction with hand clenched into tight fists. 

                “Oh you want to play with me?” Damian giggled as he crouched low to the ground.  Virgil continued in his line and soon was close enough for Damian to pounce headfirst into his gut and knock him backwards, rolling across the ground and gaining his footing again as he stared intently at his remaining prey.

                “Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Too bad you’re not much fun to –“He stopped and looked on the ground near the man.  A badge glistened in the moonlight, the dark engraving of SRS standing out against the silver platelet.  He hummed happily as he bent down to pick it up, caressing it between his fingers as he stared at the man, now able to move and taking full advantage of it.

                “So you’re part of the Supernatural Recon Squad…no wonder I chose you.”  He smiled as he gently crushed the metal in his hands.  “I will give you a fate worse than death my friend…a slow and painful fate.  My fate just to let you know that you are scum for hunting people like me.” 

                As he hissed those last words he bent down and grabbed Virgil’s arm, biting heavily into the vein allowing the venom in his teeth to enter the stream.  Virgil screamed in pain as the venom took fast course through his heart and body, hardening his veins in its aftermath.  Damian smiled sharply and stared at Virgil with dark eyes before straightening himself and walking away into the night.

                “Damian?  Damian!?”  Amelie’s voice brought him out of his flashback.

                “Sorry Ames.”  He collected his thoughts and looked over at Virgil who was still fast asleep.   The flashback still racing in his mind. 

                “So about Virg?”  Amelie questioned.

                “He is acting as I did long ago when I was turned…his heart is slowly dying and he isn’t used to it yet.  I do feel bad but I assume it is for the better that he hired me after that incident…so I could watch over his process…help him as I did tonight.  He couldn’t smell the blood…if he did he would snap.”  He turned the vehicle on to a long dirt driveway and sighed.

                “We’re heading in right now.”

 

 



© 2008 Adam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good start. Although I normally do not read Vampire or Zombie tales, the two most overused creatures in the land of horror, this was a very nice piece and I wish you well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A very descriptive, well written piece. I could visualize Damian well, as I could Virgil. The words jumped off the page.

Posted 15 Years Ago


In the first sentence you wrote clutter, did you mean clatter?
Other than that, I didn't notice too much wrong
I like it, and again, as your last story, you have my interest
Keep writing
zA~

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the contrast between the two characters a lot
i can't wait to read more, I'm sorry it took me so long to review
Let me know when you post more
zA~

Posted 15 Years Ago


So far so good. I like the fact that the main character is so mysterious, that gives the story a good edge. Just keep working on it I think that you are doing a great job . I hope that you can check out and review some of my work. Good luck writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


Awesome! another great write...your a very good writer. I always find myself drawn to your characters personality and all, job well done, can't wait to read the rest!

:) elyssa

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on October 18, 2008
Last Updated on October 21, 2008


Author

Adam
Adam

China Grove, NC



About
I'm a college freshman and have always had a passion for creative writing. Sometimes I stray from my norms and begin some sort of political satire but it never goes anywhere so I stick to my old pal .. more..

Writing
Four Four

A Book by Adam


Corpseflower Corpseflower

A Book by Adam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Memory Murders Memory Murders

A Story by ATG