Ch. 04 - The Transfer

Ch. 04 - The Transfer

A Chapter by Seratha

“Good morning, Miss President.”


“Good morning, girls,” I smiled to a group of fellow third years on their way to class.


“Mornin', President.”


I nodded affably to a second year making his way down to his classrooms. Homeroom would be starting soon, and the hallways were as busy as ever with students rushing to their classes. The problem of overcrowding was not helped by the presence of some aliens that were nearly twice as large as the human students.


“Yo! Prez!”


I gave a polite wave to a group of seniors hurriedly heading up to the fourth floor. Though class would be starting in five minutes, I kept at my calm walking pace. I had no need to rush, as impeccable timing was my speciality. That, and the fact my fellow students parted the hallways in my presence also helped.


“Good day, Miss President,” the class representative for 3-3 dipped into a slight bow, clutching a stack of books and papers to her chest.


“Good day, Theresa. Are one of those for me?” I gave her a beaming smile and pointed to her chest.


“Huh? Oh-! Yes, this is-” Theresa flustered for a moment before pulling out a paper wedged between two hefty looking hardbacks. After taking the sheet and giving a nod of thanks, I stepped past her and into my own classroom, 3-2.


Like every day, nearby students immediately stopped their activities and acknowledged my entrance with a morning greeting. I, in turn, did the same with a pleasant smile, nod, wave, or simple “Good morning” until I reached my desk at the far side of the classroom, next to the window. Setting down my book bag and the form Theresa gave me, I sank slowly into my seat.

Two minutes until the bell would ring. My eyes flickered to the holoboard in the front of the room. 7:58. Of course I was right on time, but it didn't hurt to check. My gaze drifted lazily to the open window beside me. A bright and beautiful Monday morning. A shame we would be spending all day indoors.


I rested my chin in my palm and stared. Cloudless. An endless blue expanse. If it were not for the faint rotating outline of Iresant City's extra terrestrial rings, it would be easy to think the ocean of light blue sky extended to infinity. I turned my attention from the massive interlocking halos to the tree just outside the window. A pair of blue tailed swallows pecked and chirped at each other on the nearest branch. How nice it must be for them. No responsibilities, no duties. No fronts or need to save face, just the freedom to act on their own desires.

The morning's cool air washed over my skin. Closing my eyes, I allowed myself a moment's respite. The bell rang and the clamor of students scrambling to their seats soon followed, but I ignored them. Just a few seconds more. The class had gone silent. A pair of footsteps rang out in the front of the room. Ms. Wilbury must have just entered, but who was the other?


“Go ahead and introduce yourself to the class,” Ms. Wilbury's naturally sweet voice entered my ears, though it was clear she was speaking to one of the people who walked into the room with her.


I relented against my better judgement to just open my eyes and pay attention, like the upstanding student and Student Council President that I am. Just a few moments longer. A few more moments of this relaxation. This pleasant personal freedom.


Something twinged in the back of my mind.


No. Not now.


I pushed it back.


“M-My name is H-Haru-” one of the guests spoke.


I shot my eyes open at the sound, turning my full attention to the girl at the front of the class. Our eyes met for a split second. She fumbled. She must have been staring at me. If she had been, she didn't show it for the rest of her introduction.


Keeping her eyes rooted to the floor, she continued in a quiet, flustered voice, “My n-name is Haruka K-Kisaragi. N-Nice to me-meet all of you.”


Even with her head down and a long set of bangs covering the right side of her face, I could see a pair of terrified, amber colored eyes set behind a pair of square, thick-rimmed glasses. Her dark hair was short, just reaching past the nape of her neck. The bangs on left side were shorter and swept to the side, revealing her pearl white skin underneath. Her pink lips were trembling as her hands, adorned with a pair of black gloves, held a vice-grip on book bag in front of her. I assumed the pair of black stockings she wore extended up to her hips.


It's like she is going out of her way to show as little skin as possible.


Before I could realize the reason, I shifted my attention to her two most noticeable features. A pair of horns were nestled in her black hair. They curved back, like a goat's. Poking out from beneath her blouse was a slender white tail that fell just past the hem of her skirt. A pair of gold rings flashed near the tip.


An alien. Though, I can't say I have ever seen a member of her race before.


The class remained silent at Haruka's stuttering self-introduction. Were we supposed to clap or something? This is the first time I have ever had a transfer student in my class. The alien girl shifted uncomfortably. She must be nervous with everyone staring at her like she's some kind of zoo creature. Ms. Wilbury must have noticed this as well, because she quickly wrapped up the introduction and directed Haruka to an empty seat next to Ven, near the back of the classroom.

She nodded stiffly in compliance and moved toward her assigned seat. As she did, I realized why the bangs on her right side were grown longer. Her hair shifted, just slightly, but just enough for me to see.


Scars.


Even from this distance, I could see the black and red tissue cover nearly all of the right side of her face. They continued, too, down the side of neck, disappearing underneath her tightly cinched blouse. Haruka kept her face down as she walked. She must be hoping to draw as little attention to them as possible.


“I will show Ms. Kisaragi around the school after class,” I said abruptly, rising from my seat and drawing the attention of the entire class. I'm not sure what prompted me to make this announcement, but there is something about this girl. I can feel it.


“Ah, thank you, Ms. Walker,” Ms. Wilbury nodded to me, her expression was one of gratitude. After the class's less than enthusiastic response to the new transfer, she was probably reluctant to ask for volunteers.


I took my seat, but kept my eyes locked on Haruka. Again, our eyes met for a brief moment.


Fear.


It only takes a second to discern that look in someone's eyes. She's scared. Of me? Probably not. She has no reason to be afraid of me. I would say her anxiety is getting the best of her. Ven flashed her a bright smile as she took her seat beside him, but given his reaction, it wasn't reciprocated.

Before turning my attention back to the front of the class, I noticed other students casting idle glances in Haruka's direction. Silently judging, I could tell. Just based on this two minutes of interaction, the blueprints for her place in this class's social circle were being drawn out. Oh, how frivolous schoolchildren can be. 



© 2012 Seratha


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

318 Views
Added on March 5, 2012
Last Updated on March 17, 2012
Tags: sci-fi, aliens, supernatural, murder, mystery, magic


Author

Seratha
Seratha

Riverside, CA



Writing